Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2021, 08:00 PM   #1

Parked regen

Anyone know how to do a stationary regen, I do not have switch or wire to unplug 2008 Monaco diplomat 400isl
Retired tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2021, 06:50 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
No idea but what I've read it will get extremely hot and others have said they use fans placed underneath to cool the Diesel Particulate Filter.

Try doing a search in the upper right search box, should get lots of hits.

Good luck
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:25 AM   #3

On most mh 's there is no way you can do a forced regen. A shop with the right software can perform the regen
Why do you need the regen? Are you getting the regen light?
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I use OTR diagnostics for this and other emissions commands and it works perfectly but I dont know if they function with somehting that old but you could call them. obviously you've researched the shorting plug method.

The OTR blue tooth j1939 device and a one year subscription is $600. Im guessing yours is J1708 and they offer that as well. OTR sounds expensive for a code reader but it does a lot more (See the website) and Ive found it well worth the price. It took me a while to come to that conclusion but after a few months I was convinced.

Insite is $1200/year for their lowest level and you would also need to buy an interface for your diagnostics port to a lap top. Absent a switch on the dash or shorting plug I dont know, but you've engaged my curiosity so Ill see what I can find out and watch this thread.

Couple questions:
Do you know that you need to do one?
What indicators do you have?
Has it ever had a forced regen performed by a shop?
Is yours J1587 or J1708?

I never owned a DPF equipped diesel until I bought my 2016 so I never encountered it on the early models. Towards the bottom of this page https://otrperformance.com/blogs/qui...j1708-standard there is a list of earlier discussion, some of which you might find useful as you tackle this issue.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:28 AM   #5

Got check engine light, flashing regent light symbol
Old 09-14-2021, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
On most mh 's there is no way you can do a forced regen. A shop with the right software can perform the regen
Why do you need the regen? Are you getting the regen light?
Check engine, and flashing regen symbol
Old 09-14-2021, 11:53 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired tom View Post
Got check engine light, flashing regent light symbol
So apparently passive regen (exhaust heat burning off soot during normal operation of the vehicle) is not adequate. If you haven't already done so, try to get to do an active regen (diesel injected into the DPF while driving) on its own. It should do so under the right conditions. To get it into that mode, take it out for a drive and stay on the throttle for at least an hour.

Drive in one gear lower than necessary so you keep your RPM around 1600-1800 at a minimum. Driving up some grades would be helpful. Exiting a freeway and/or any stop and go driving will interrupt the process. You probably wont get any indication that an active regen is underway, although you might see a “high exhaust” icon (thermometer in a little exhaust burst).

The only way you’ll be certain it was successful is if your current check engine and regen lights go off. If they do, you're all set until next time. If they don't, you’ll either need to go to a shop for a forced regen of buy the necessary adjunct to do it yourself. But unless you've done the above, you wont know if it’s necessary or not.

Chances are it was trying to do a regen and you interrupted it by slowing or stopping.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
While rooting around on the internet looking at 2007 emissions, a couple things occurred to me:

1. Since 2007 emissions equipped trucks came with a DPF switch (under various names/labels) your rig probably has that portion of the wiring harness, but without the switch. Just as a 2016 emissions Freightliner coach chassis has a “shorting plug” in lieu of a dash switch, it is likely that you have something in your wiring harness to access that function. Finding it is obviously what you're after and asking that specific question at a couple shops, and possibly the Monaco forum might yield something useful.

2. If you can’t go out and drive to attempt a passive or active regen (you are already derated or its not practical) you could try just putting the rig in high idle for an hour or so, checking on it every 15 minutes to see if it has successfully initiated a regen. On mine high idle is around 1100 rpm, and that is also the RPM it operates at during a parked forced regen.

Hope this helps. Ill keep looking. In the mean time you might consider this:
https://otrperformance.com/products/...ostics-cummins
Or this:
https://otrperformance.com/collectio...t-tool-cummins

There are probably other devices out there that do forced regens, I just don't know of any. You could ask that question on the Cummins forum.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
So apparently passive regen (exhaust heat burning off soot during normal operation of the vehicle) is not adequate. If you haven't already done so, try to get to do an active regen (diesel injected into the DPF while driving) on its own. It should do so under the right conditions. To get it into that mode, take it out for a drive and stay on the throttle for at least an hour.

Drive in one gear lower than necessary so you keep your RPM around 1600-1800 at a minimum. Driving up some grades would be helpful. Exiting a freeway and/or any stop and go driving will interrupt the process. You probably wont get any indication that an active regen is underway, although you might see a “high exhaust” icon (thermometer in a little exhaust burst).

The only way you’ll be certain it was successful is if your current check engine and regen lights go off. If they do, you're all set until next time. If they don't, you’ll either need to go to a shop for a forced regen of buy the necessary adjunct to do it yourself. But unless you've done the above, you wont know if it’s necessary or not.

Chances are it was trying to do a regen and you interrupted it by slowing or stopping.
Understand, but from the way I read the process when you have an engine check light along with a flashing dpf symbol the next step it will go into limp mode. I'm thinking if I try to drive it l will be on the side of the road to get towed. Am I wrong about that?
Old 09-14-2021, 01:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Understand, but from the way I read the process when you have an engine check light along with a flashing dpf symbol the next step it will go into limp mode. I'm thinking if I try to drive it l will be on the side of the road to get towed. Am I wrong about that?
Thats a possibility if it doesn't work. But driving in a manner conducive to regen should fix it. And if it doesn't something else is wrong, like your DPF is beyond simple regens and needs to come out and be cleaned by a shop that does that, or worse it needs to be replaced.

If this is the first time you've encountered this I wouldn't expect that to be the case. The after treatment lamp flashing means it needs an immediate regen but it doesn't mean it wont regen. It more likely means your driving style (or the way you had to drive the last time you drove it) is preventing the completion of a regen. If it gets it you're set. But yes full derate is a possibility if it wont regen on its own.

Was the after-treatment lamp on for an extended period before it started flashing? Or was it coming on when you slowed to a stop, or drove at lower speeds for extended periods? If so, did it go off when you were driving at higher speeds? It seems unusual that the first time it came on it was flashing, so if thats the case, you could have a more significant problem.

Since almost any diesel shop can perform a forced regen you could just drive to one of those and pay the price, and hope it does its own regen en route. If it does you can turn around and head home.

I would suggest you compare the shop price to an OTR or similar solution. The OTR diagnostics is an annual subscription, the reset tool a one time cost. Shop price is probably about half the OTR cost, but it would be for Only one regen.

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...%204971518.pdf npt there yet.
Old 09-14-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Thats a possibility if it doesn't work. But driving in a manner conducive to regen should fix it. And if it doesn't something else is wrong, like your DPF is beyond simple regens and needs to come out and be cleaned by a shop that does that, or worse it needs to be replaced.

If this is the first time you've encountered this I wouldn't expect that to be the case. The after treatment lamp flashing means it needs an immediate regen but it doesn't mean it wont regen. It more likely means your driving style (or the way you had to drive the last time you drove it) is preventing the completion of a regen. If it gets it you're set. But yes full derate is a possibility if it wont regen on its own.

Was the after-treatment lamp on for an extended period before it started flashing? Or was it coming on when you slowed to a stop, or drove at lower speeds for extended periods? If so, did it go off when you were driving at higher speeds? It seems unusual that the first time it came on it was flashing, so if thats the case, you could have a more significant problem.

Since almost any diesel shop can perform a forced regen you could just drive to one of those and pay the price, and hope it does its own regen en route. If it does you can turn around and head home.

I would suggest you compare the shop price to an OTR or similar solution. The OTR diagnostics is an annual subscription, the reset tool a one time cost. Shop price is probably about half the OTR cost, but it would be for Only one regen.

https://www.cummins.com/sites/defaul...%204971518.pdf npt there yet.
I appreciate all the helpful info, does the mh have to See a certain speed to do an active regen or will it do it sitting still with a high rpm
Old 09-14-2021, 02:08 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
If the answer to these questions:

Quote:
1. Was the after-treatment lamp on for an extended period before it started flashing?

2. Was it coming on when you slowed to a stop, or drove at lower speeds for extended periods?

3. If so, did it go off when you were driving at higher speeds? “
... is yes, then its been trying to complete a regen and you can safely assume that it will faithfully complete the process given the chance.

If not, then yes you need either a method to do it now where its parked, or get to a near-by facility that can do it.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:18 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
.... or will it do it sitting still with a high rpm
That I do not know. It needs sustained engine speeds to regen. From my experience, while driving, that has meant driving at 1500+ rpm continuously until the regen is done. But when parked and performing a forced regen, the rpm never gets over 1100 and as I noted above that is also the high idle speed.

Ive never tried a passive regen parked at high idle because I bought the OTR diagnostics for DEF issues before I encountered DPF issues. Since I already had OTR, when I encountered the same issue you are facing, I just did a forced regen in a city park in Illinois.

It just occurred to me when thinking about your situation that it might be possible - Im guessing that it should be ale to regen at that speed. The caveat here is that if you are headed to derate every ignition cycle gets you one step closer, as does extended idling. So its a bit of a gamble and really depends on the questions above.

Do you have any active codes? This would really help figure out where your rig is in the process.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:59 PM   #14

Just did a stationary 20 minute 1500 rpm, the check engine light is gone, still have a flashing dpf symbol. Will do a long drive when weather permits