Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2011, 02:21 PM   #1

Paying for Fuel

My DW and I are planning a trip down to California, Vegas this summer. I read a thread somewhere that down in the states there is a limit for the dollar figure at gas stations. Some I have heard is $75.00 and some have different values. So with filling our pusher diesels they take alot more than $75.00. I have read that you have to go in and prepay for fuel. So how do we get around the big dollar fillups that we will need?

Should we stop at truck stops where the big gallons are sold or is it not a problem? Up here in Canada we don't have that problem...yet. I never let my tank get that empty so do I fill up more often or what??

Hope someone out there can advise me...as nothing can screw up a holiday more than complications..I will be phoning my bank to expect large dollar fill-ups, but what else do I have to do??

How do you Canadians get around the zip code thing?? Our postal code I find does NOT work.

Or am I being too paranoid....Please let me know your experiences getting fuel..

Thanks

Ted
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TEDDE, I have been told by some stations that the issuing bank puts the limit on your credit/debit card, and then I have been told by my bank that that is not true. They tell me that the fueling places put the limit. I have had a good experience with Flying J and have filled up there with no limit. This may have all changed since Pilot took them over, I don't know. I think a limit is ridiculous, how in the world would you get away without paying when driving a vehicle as large as a motorhome ? Besides, most, if not all motorhome people are honest.
Old 05-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #3

I sure agree with the statement " motorhome people are honest" That is why I like this forum because everyone is in the same boat.....coach.

I am just trying to do my footwork before we travel as I don't like surprises at gas stations..LOL...Thx..
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Couple of things to try. 1. used a flying J card. once registered you can use the truck lanes, pump stop at $750. 2. If filling anywhere else go inside first and request they keep the pump so you can fill.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You'll have to get the zip code answers from other Canadian travelers but the dollar limit will just be a minor pain. If you go inside to pay there's no limit. If you pay at the pump, most of us find that it will shut off at either $75 or $100 but that most cards can be re-swiped and used at least a second time. I then switch to my debit card to complete my fill up.

Be safe.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #6

The flying J card sounds like the answer. I will have to obtain one..but as long as I can go inside and use my visa card which the bank already will know of large purchases I should be ok right?? Never ever thouht that getting fuel would be so difficult..at the wrong place that is..
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
TEDDE......I got a PenFed credit card after reading good things about it for years (may not be available to you in Canada...they want some association to U.S. military, but they really don't push it). It gives 5% off on fuel purchases AT THE PUMP. We've been using it over the past three months and on our trip to the Grand Canyon last week. At Flying J in Arizona, it went to $150.00 at the pump and reset for a second round.

At my local station, it went to $85.00 and reset. When you get the bill, they take the 5% off your total purchases. Their only requirement is that you pay at the pump.

All of the above leads me back to your post. I would be very careful of any station where you go inside and leave the card. Either have your wife stand there and watch, or swipe it for a higher amount and let them correct it when you're done.

I've read several posts on other forums where they discuss who is putting the limit on the card, the bank or the station. One poster suggested that there is typically a collection company that processes the cards for the stations and they will only guarantee a certain dollar amount for cards used at the pumps. They set the limits.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
If it were me I would fuel up in the state that you are in prior to entering California. Right now fuel here in California is $4.50 per gallon and higher through out the state. Our fuel is the highest in the country . Windmills just don't work on motorhomes.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check this out for Flying J

Sticky: Hi I'm Lynsay from Pilot Flying J
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
TEDDE
Check for private message
Stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:44 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdriver View Post
If it were me I would fuel up in the state that you are in prior to entering California. Right now fuel here in California is $4.50 per gallon and higher through out the state. Our fuel is the highest in the country . Windmills just don't work on motorhomes.
Truer words were never written. I remember two years ago taking the coach from NorCal to Phx and making the mistake of filling up the rig in Blythe, Ca. Three miles east in Arizona diesel was $.30 cheaper.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some stations limit to 50 or 75 or 100 per card swipe if using a credit card at the pumps. some will limit to a max of two card swipes, some do not limit saved the transaction limit imposed by your bank.

I would have loved to take a photo the other day but alas the camera was out of position.. Two businessess next door to each other on State Route 25 in South Carolina if I'm not mistaken. (If not SC then NC)

One was a Gas station
The other was a Title-loan place (Give them your title, they loan you money, then when you don't pay pick up your car)

Fitting, at today's prices.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I am a Shell station owner. To overcome the zip code security thing, go inside and prepay with the card or ask the cashier to turn on the pump. We have lots of international customers with that problem.

The limits at the pump are set by the CC companies and is a pre-authorization, not controlled by the station. Usually 2 pre-authorizations and the card won't work a third time.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #14

So I guess what I am hearing...

If you pay at the pumps there is a limit

If you pay inside you can get whatever amount you want as long as your credit card will allow.

Purchase your fuel from a truck lane or a rv lane..same thing... pay at the pumps for a determined limit or go inside and fill her up..

Am I correct in this??

Thx to all
Ted