Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #1

Penguin II heat pump manual

Maddening..... back unit failed and new units not compatible with old. So, replacing both units with 15K heat pumps. Have them installed but no manuals in box or on their website. It is the Penguin II high output model: 651816....anyone have the install manual??? Hour of searching online and all links to it broken and not on dometic website????
red_georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2016, 09:32 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...,d.cWw&cad=rja

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_georgia View Post
Maddening..... back unit failed and new units not compatible with old. So, replacing both units with 15K heat pumps. Have them installed but no manuals in box or on their website. It is the Penguin II high output model: 651816....anyone have the install manual??? Hour of searching online and all links to it broken and not on dometic website????
I had the front unit replaced and they installed a board to make the old one compatable. Uses same controller.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:04 AM   #4

Thanks

Thanks for the link..... I ended up finding that same one..... makes no sense why it isn't directly linked off their manual page? In any case, with ten year old units, decided to replace both to get the new control system (can barely see the display on old control system). My luck, if I bought the board to downgrade the new one the 2nd old one would fail in a year.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Thanks for the link..... I ended up finding that same one..... makes no sense why it isn't directly linked off their manual page? In any case, with ten year old units, decided to replace both to get the new control system (can barely see the display on old control system). My luck, if I bought the board to downgrade the new one the 2nd old one would fail in a year.

Or less ... I think you made the right choice. I will have to make the decision pretty soon. My units (all 3) are 11 years old.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Or less ... I think you made the right choice. I will have to make the decision pretty soon. My units (all 3) are 11 years old.
Good move on installing all 3 at once. My replacement units will be delivered this week and should have the install done in few weeks.
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
Good move on installing all 3 at once. My replacement units will be delivered this week and should have the install done in few weeks.
I haven't replaced them yet. They are still cooling in 95 degrees outside with 75% humidity. I'm still hearing bad things about the Penguin II units. What are you getting this week?
Old 09-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #8

I'll take pictures. You'll need them for the install.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I'll take pictures. You'll need them for the install.
Thanks! ... I like pictures!

I'm investigating a switch to 3 Atwood 15K A/C Heat Pump units (yikes!).
Old 09-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #10

continuing

Completed Installing two Penguin II's today. No issues. All functions on both units worked perfect and the heat pump actually produces heat in about 5 seconds of fan coming on instead of 2-3 minutes on my old unit. I have seen a lot of comments on failing right out of box in 2005 but fortunately I don't have those issues so far (6 hours in!! lol). I did have a bad breaker leaking 37V AC when off so while replacing that....found this (see pic). Any idea what that "thingy" is on incoming 50amp service line? Clearly got hot and tried to start a fire and needs some work... I just don't know what the hell it is!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV 50amp incoming common.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	138693  
Old 09-12-2016, 04:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Completed Installing two Penguin II's today. No issues. All functions on both units worked perfect and the heat pump actually produces heat in about 5 seconds of fan coming on instead of 2-3 minutes on my old unit. I have seen a lot of comments on failing right out of box in 2005 but fortunately I don't have those issues so far (6 hours in!! lol). I did have a bad breaker leaking 37V AC when off so while replacing that....found this (see pic). Any idea what that "thingy" is on incoming 50amp service line? Clearly got hot and tried to start a fire and needs some work... I just don't know what the hell it is!!!
Is that brown wire actually the 50 amp neutral?
Old 09-12-2016, 06:43 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I replaced my front Penguin with a Penguin II. I seem to have an oddball coach in that I had a four button thermostat and there was no communication cable between the two original units. The retrograde board wouldn't work with my thermostat and the new Penguin II so I had to buy a new thermostat too. So far the Penguin II is working great.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I replaced my front Penguin with a Penguin II. I seem to have an oddball coach in that I had a four button thermostat and there was no communication cable between the two original units. The retrograde board wouldn't work with my thermostat and the new Penguin II so I had to buy a new thermostat too. So far the Penguin II is working great.
That's not really oddball but a little surprising for a 2000 vintage.

Tags
heat, heat pump, manual