Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #15

Moira,
A picture of the plug may help me to know if it is like the ones I got. Mine were round with 4 connection points but only three wires. The camera probably only uses 2 of the wires. I had to use a mirror image of the diagram that came with mine to make the connections correct. Are we having fun yet?
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 08:11 PM   #16

Hey Dave,
Yeah I posted a picture of the plug in post number 9. They are square. They use a power, ground and video wire.

Anyway.

I thought I would wait to see which cameras I would buy before I bought the proper size crimper and all that. In the mean time Tim at rvcams fixed me up with a Voyager VCMS50i ice cube. It has IR which I will be testing tonight.
This camera has a tiny tiny 4 pin connector. not like the molex, which he had an adaptor for. The adaptor plugs in it and then in the back of my See Vision box. The see vision box uses a S-video connector but its technically not a S-video connection.

So I bought a pair 175 each. So now I don't need to crimp or mess with those molex connectors. It was more than I wanted to spend but Tim helped me so much, I just went for it.

I am now currently working on fabricating a housing for the cameras. Its going to take a few days cause I bought some acrylic at home depot that needs 24-48 hours to cure if you glue it together with acetone. And I may end up using something else for the housing but for now I am trying out this plastic sheet I bought.

I'll keep you posted...
Old 05-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #17

The cameras I bought are mounted right where the originals were mounted but did take some fabrication to make them work. It is nice to have color and to have the IR on the new cameras. I'm sure it will be a nice upgrade.
Dave
Old 05-09-2019, 08:53 PM   #18

Did you fabricate a housing? With what?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #19

I was able to use the housing of the new cameras but had to add a piece to them that I turned in my lathe and bolted to the camera housings so they would mount just like the originals. If you have had yours off you have probably seen the part I mean. I think it is about 3/4 inch in diameter and about 3/4 inch long with a groove in it for the set screw to tighten against.
Dave
Old 05-11-2019, 12:08 AM   #20

I am trying to make a box with plexiglass and then paint it with chrome paint. I used a 1" copper plumbing tube or coupling for the part you made. I soldered a washer on the bottom of the tube. I put the tube through a hole in the plexiglass and mounted the camera in front of the washer that is connected to the tube. This allows it to swivel. I will put the tube through the wedge and install the snap ring back in place.

The cameras I am using for the sideviews are backup cameras.

I just tried the paint and it doesn't look good. Doesn't look like chrome at all. We'll see it tomorrow better. Can you think of anything else I could use to make a box with? It has to match the mirror.

Last option would be to destroy the Intec camera housing and use it.

The backup cameras I have seen only have a bracket that swivels the camera up and down but no housing to speak of. The sideview cameras have a nice housing but they are not shaped right to install under the mirror and the image would be upside down.

Dave if you have a pic of your cameras on your mirrors, I sure would be grateful.
Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #21

Click image for larger version

Name:	mirror.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	245763

Name:	mirror 2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	186.7 KB
ID:	245764

Here are pics of my cameras.
I got them on ebay but like I said earlier, they didn't work with my monitor so I added 2 more monitors. I will try to send a pic of what that looks like.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #22

Name:	coach dash.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	270.0 KB
ID:	245779

This is a pic of my dash. You can view all three cameras at any time.
Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 PM   #23

Moira,
Your original cameras can be opened. Those black spots are plastic plugs that covers the screws that hold the housing together. The only way I could get mine out was to drill into them and then pull them out to get to the screws. Are your new cameras small enough to fit into the original housings? That would be sweet if it would work. Mine were way too big for that. They should call that chrome paint (silver paint), not even close to chrome. My cameras and monitors were pretty cheap and have a great picture. I am looking forward to using them in the next few weeks. I also added a 49 inch tv on a lift behind the passenger side couch this winter so we are looking forward to that improvement as well.
Dave
Old 05-13-2019, 10:29 PM   #24

Thank you for the pic Dave! That helps immensely.

Are those sideview cameras like the one below? I am using backup cameras for the sideviews.

Name:   sideview camera.jpeg
Views: 151
Size:  27.1 KB

It looks like you took the new sideview cameras, turned it 90 degrees and mounted it under there. Would that swap your horizontal degree for your vertical view? ie 150 degree horizontal would now be 150 degrees vertical.
if not, I might be able to do that too. Since I do not have a lathe, can I use this instead? Its a copper tube with a washer soldered onto it.

Name:	20190513_232013.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	245887

I had to take the cameras I bought, VCMS 50i, and take the bracket off and reattach the bracket above the camera otherwise my pic would have been upside down.

Name:   voyager.jpeg
Views: 206
Size:  32.5 KB
Old 05-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #25

The ones I bought have an eyeball type camera that can be rotated inside the housing in order to keep the camera orientation correct. They were just under $50 for the pair but didn't work with my monitor. They work great with the monitors that I show in my earlier post. I have a question for you, are your new cameras small enough to fit inside the original intek housings? I no longer have my inteks as another forum member needed one so I sent him both of them. Maybe the intek housings can be machined to allow your new cameras to be installed in them. I think your new cameras are small enough in width and height but too long to fit so it may be possible to make a spacer for the housings to allow the cameras to fit. I will also do a search and see if I can find something to fit the cameras into.
Dave
Old 05-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #26

Thats what I did today, I opened the intek camera housing, cleaned out the black stuff and put the ice cube camera in. Unfortunately because of the turn the wire has to make, it could not fit in the housing. Its a pretty thick wire on this camera. The camera itself could probably fit.

The spacer seems like another good idea but the round part that sticks up in the wedge will not fit in the hole if it is spread apart.

I believe I have given this an exhaustive attempt. Now my options are to get real sideview cameras or mount what i have in my makeshift housing. My hubby maybe open to drilling into the coach now given the situation. If I broke the glass on the intec housing that might work but we have a no vote on that too.
stay tuned....
Old 05-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Thought I'd say hello Dave, I'm in the same town as you.
Like your camera system, nice job....nice coach too.
Roadmaster Nighthawk II, 2011 Lincoln MKX.
2012 Newmar Canyon Star (first coach) FMCA F428511.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:12 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman018 View Post
Attachment 245763

Attachment 245764

Here are pics of my cameras.
I got them on ebay but like I said earlier, they didn't work with my monitor so I added 2 more monitors. I will try to send a pic of what that looks like.
That's a nice job Woodman.

Do you know why the new cameras didn't work with the existing monitor?

It would be nice to be able to do the same install you did, but with cameras that would work with existing monitor.

I forgot now, but is your factory monitor one of those Kenwood KVT swing-up displays with video coming through the Aladdin system?

Was the problem because you went to color cameras - or more to do with something about the new camera's refresh rate or a NTSC format thing or what?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera