Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2015, 11:04 AM   #15

TMan59
I think you missed my point. This person is looking for advice. Two posters above bought about the same coach with about 100000 less miles for considerably less than $49000. I think he should spend more time on RVT and Rvtrader sites before buying.

Dan
dadej is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2015, 12:02 PM   #16

Maybe - I've looked at a lot of those sites for the last 3 years so I feel like I have an idea of price range relative to age, condition, mileage, features, maintenance, etc. My wife and I visited an RV dealer this past weekend and looked at a few as well. This one hits all the buttons for us as far as layout, features, maintenance records, and it appears condition. It has what I've been told is one of the best chassis along with top quality engine, tranny, and genny. It's also not on the other side of the country (I'm on the East Coast) which is where I was seeing lower prices for comparable units. If this one checks out and I can get it for low 40's I can see us doing it. My wife really likes the layout and colors and that aspect is priceless!
NO1ZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:16 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
That last item IS the most important one !!!
us guys want a pot and a bed - our ladies like (==demand) a BIT more than that

Find out how long it's been on the lot... (a good negotiating fact)

and if it's that good of a deal, it might not be there very long.... good luck !
Old 06-08-2015, 12:17 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I have 155,000 miles on mine. And yes I have put some money into it. But it still runs like a champ. When you have it check make sure they check the exhaust manifold. If it is cracked it can sit you back 1500-2,000.00 +++
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 06:48 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
I have 155,000 miles on mine. And yes I have put some money into it. But it still runs like a champ. When you have it check make sure they check the exhaust manifold. If it is cracked it can sit you back 1500-2,000.00 +++

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I think I do recall that it's an item to ck on the Cummins.

My situation is evolving - the 158k mi coach is now off the table. The finance co will not do a unit with over 90k mi. I was not aware of this prior to yesterday. We've located an almost identical unit though, a 99 40' Dynasty King, which I may be able to get in the low $40k range. It has half the mileage at 79k and looks to be in similar condition to the other one w/all maint records & kept in a heated garage. Even has a few better features, but no mid door which we really liked.

This one has the Norcold fridge which I know is junk, even when they fix it as per the recall, or so I've heard. My lovely bride doesn't trust it either so I wonder how much of a price concession should I ask the seller for on this item and how difficult is it to change out?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Your finance company doesn't have a limit on what age of RV's they do?
A lot of them quit at 10 years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:27 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO1ZX6R View Post
Thanks I'll keep that in mind. I think I do recall that it's an item to ck on the Cummins.

My situation is evolving - the 158k mi coach is now off the table. The finance co will not do a unit with over 90k mi. I was not aware of this prior to yesterday. We've located an almost identical unit though, a 99 40' Dynasty King, which I may be able to get in the low $40k range. It has half the mileage at 79k and looks to be in similar condition to the other one w/all maint records & kept in a heated garage. Even has a few better features, but no mid door which we really liked.

This one has the Norcold fridge which I know is junk, even when they fix it as per the recall, or so I've heard. My lovely bride doesn't trust it either so I wonder how much of a price concession should I ask the seller for on this item and how difficult is it to change out?
Lowes charged ~1200 for a Samsung 197 and I had it installed for ~$500. The others have covered most of the items. Besides the exhaust manifold. I would check on the lift pump, the cam/crank position sensors, the ECM oil pressure sensor to switch update and the last time the Haldex pure air plus was serviced. We have a mid door model, a Prince. The aux air compressor is prone to go bad also as they are exposed underneath right behind the curbside front wheel. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Your finance company doesn't have a limit on what age of RV's they do?
A lot of them quit at 10 years.
Correct. We got financing through the USAA and a low rate. You have to be a military veteran of some sort to join. Although they wouldn't go the full amount due to the age but got pretty close. Mileage didn't matter to them.

Chuck
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 1 PB, a G Pyrenees and 1 Jack Russell. Zenie, Smokie and Buddy ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 11:07 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migkiller View Post
Correct. We got financing through the USAA and a low rate. You have to be a military veteran of some sort to join. Although they wouldn't go the full amount due to the age but got pretty close. Mileage didn't matter to them.

Chuck
Exactly - I'm with USAA as well

Coma - thanks very much for that info on what to look for and the Samsung price and install. Much appreciated
Old 06-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadej View Post
TMan59
I think you missed my point. This person is looking for advice. Two posters above bought about the same coach with about 100000 less miles for considerably less than $49000. I think he should spend more time on RVT and Rvtrader sites before buying.

Dan
Sorry about that.
I thought when you said a high mileage coach never sells, that's what you meant.
No worries hope we are all having a great day!
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #25

Update - both of the '99 Dynasty units I was looking at are not available for the price point I'm comfortable with. I'm working on what could be a good deal on a '03 Bounder Diesel 39. Thanks again for the assistance.

Tags
monaco