Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Plastic fittings at fuel tank

Why did Monaco use Plastic fittings at fuel tank for the fuel lines?

I'm starting the FASS pump job on my coach and I'm surprised Monaco used plastic fittings going into the tank. I have to replace the fuel line because it's deteriorating inside. I plan to drop the top panels in the storage compartments to gain access to the lines. Anyone have any experience with this and what I will find as far as the routing of the fuel lines?

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel lines at tank.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	359755  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Are the fittings plastic or just he yellow ring.

My fittings were all JIC crimped fitting.

The FASS kit that I got had a push on type fitting for the fuel line but I didn't use, I had a line made up at NAPA. Pricey but I didn't want to have to worry about it. I did use the line that was with the kit for the return to tank from the FASS pump.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 06:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
It sure feels like plastic when I tap on it.
Old 03-22-2022, 05:21 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Pretty sure that fitting with the yellow ring is a Push-Lock hose barb fitting. It is likely just a vent line. Push-Lock barb fittings are typically advertised as not needing a hose clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gggg.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	359927  
Old 03-23-2022, 04:55 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Don't those fuel lines run through the top of the basement with other hoses?
Old 03-23-2022, 04:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH299 View Post
Pretty sure that fitting with the yellow ring is a Push-Lock hose barb fitting. It is likely just a vent line. Push-Lock barb fittings are typically advertised as not needing a hose clamp.
I had those all over my coach, some were hydraulic and some were used for coolant to the overflow tank. I think you are right, they are barb type fittings.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the replies. They are not plastic, it just felt that way when I tapped on them. They are brass. Because of such a confined space over the top of my fuel tank I am going to mount the FaSS pump back where my primary filter is now. I should add I am installing the 100 gallon per hour pump. I plan on using a T fitting at the tank to run my return line in through the vent as others have done on their installations.

Tim
Old 03-23-2022, 10:35 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. They are not plastic, it just felt that way when I tapped on them. They are brass. Because of such a confined space over the top of my fuel tank I am going to mount the FaSS pump back where my primary filter is now. I should add I am installing the 100 gallon per hour pump. I plan on using a T fitting at the tank to run my return line in through the vent as others have done on their installations.

Tim
Good luck Tim. I need to look at doing this sometime.
Old 03-23-2022, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaz View Post

Tim
I did the AirDog only install and my tank area looked like yours. I mounted mine up on the frame in the fuel tank bay and added a fuel filter before the pump. I wanted to push fuel to the 2 fuel filter near the engine. Plus, it was easier to run electrical to the generator area where I tapped off of my jack hydraulic pump solenoid for power. I also ran a wire from the fuel filter to the dash and installed a gauge and pump shut off switch. Luckily I didn't need to change fuel lines. Make sure you are blocked well before getting up under there. Post 116 is mine. Maybe you can get an idea or 2: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cap...-518703-9.html
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 01:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Electric fuel pumps work much better when they are pushing fuel rather than pulling.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Electric fuel pumps work much better when they are pushing fuel rather than pulling.
I realize pumps do better pushing than pulling but I honestly did not have the space to mount The assembly over the fuel tank. The insulation is done and it works like a champ put 17 psi to the injection pump. You can also find FASS doing an installation on YouTube on a diesel pusher and they mounted the pump at the back with the engine.

Tim
Old 04-06-2022, 07:36 PM   #12

Tim, following your thread on the fass install. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a fass system. If you don't mind, which model did you purchase? I was thinking of going with the class 8 150 gph. If that is not necessary, no point in spending the extra $. God Bless, Ed & Sylvia
Old 04-07-2022, 12:54 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed,
Our coaches only burn a little over 9 gallons an hour driving down the road. So I bought the model D08 100 gallons per hour. It is the titanium series and comes with quite a few fittings. I did have to buy a few extra because I ran a T at the tank for the return line. I hope this answers the questions that you had. God bless, Tim
Old 04-07-2022, 06:44 AM   #14

Thanks for the valuable info Tim. Will be ordering one today! Where did you purchase your unit? God Bless, Ed & Sylvia

Tags
fuel, tank