Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2020, 12:33 PM   #1

Please give us thoughts on this Neptune

We are looking to buy an RV in the upcoming year and found this one on craigslist and would like any input from the forum. We have owned a 32 foot diesel coachman and a 30 foot gas winne but do not know a lot about HR. We have been looking on the internet and it seems like a well built coach.

https://greenbay.craigslist.org/rvs/...128303939.html

Thanks for any input
Beeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
HR used to have a reputation for building a quality MH. It would be a good idea to have it inspected before buying.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:01 PM   #3

….don't know much about the rig....looks nice and clean....low miles....northern tier coaches sometimes have some frame/chassis rust issues????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 01:57 PM   #4

I agree and I hope they were snowbirds and headed down south in the winter. I'll crawl underneath it and take a look see for rust.

We do have concerns about a new turbo on a lower millage coach.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:05 PM   #5

This coach is built on the Roadmaster R4R chassis and has trailing arm issues and is rough riding. These issues can be addressed by installing Source Engineering trailing arms and a ride enhancement kit at a cost of approximately 7 or 8 thousand dollars.
Don
filadelfia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #6

Beeper-

Many coaches have "class" problems. For the Neptune and Cayman of this era, they are:

1) built on the lowest-end Roadmaster air-ride chassis, the R4R or RR4R. As "filadelfia" said, the trailing arms on these chassis can fail. Replacements are available at a cost of around $2500, plus labor to install them. There was a recall; some coaches may have the fix already applied. Some owners spend another $2500 (plus labor) to install a kit to improve what they consider to be a rough ride.

2) are prone to slide floor rot. This is a well-known problem; there are lots of threads on it. The floor will be mushy when pushed up from the outside, and there will be a gap between the white plastic material and the lower edges of the slides- the gap being the place were water gets in. The gap allows the plastic to tear, too. This can be fixed, and Guardian Plates applied.

3) are prone to clear coat failure on the full-body paint coaches. Damaged areas can be sanded and repainted. This does not apply to the coach at which you are looking, as it does not have full-body paint.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:46 PM   #7

Do you plan to tow a car or trailer with the coach?
GVWR is 24K
GCWR is 28K
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
Do you plan to tow a car or trailer with the coach?
GVWR is 24K
GCWR is 28K
We would pull an enclosed 16 foot trailer with a car inside with other odds and ends.
Old 05-30-2020, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Beeper-

Many coaches have "class" problems. For the Neptune and Cayman of this era, they are:

1) built on the lowest-end Roadmaster air-ride chassis, the R4R or RR4R. As "filadelfia" said, the trailing arms on these chassis can fail. Replacements are available at a cost of around $2500, plus labor to install them. There was a recall; some coaches may have the fix already applied. Some owners spend another $2500 (plus labor) to install a kit to improve what they consider to be a rough ride.

2) are prone to slide floor rot. This is a well-known problem; there are lots of threads on it. The floor will be mushy when pushed up from the outside, and there will be a gap between the white plastic material and the lower edges of the slides- the gap being the place were water gets in. The gap allows the plastic to tear, too. This can be fixed, and Guardian Plates applied.

3) are prone to clear coat failure on the full-body paint coaches. Damaged areas can be sanded and repainted. This does not apply to the coach at which you are looking, as it does not have full-body paint.
Thanks for that info, sounds as though this was not one of their best years/chassis's.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeper View Post
We would pull an enclosed 16 foot trailer with a car inside with other odds and ends.
With the coach at or near max GVWR you’ll have a 4K towing capacity.

What is the weight of the trailer, car and stuff?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:20 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
First I would want to know if it is a 300hp Cummins ISC (8.3L), or a 300hp Cummins ISB (5.9L)? The ISB is the 5.9L engine used in Dodge pickups. Great pickup and backhoe engine, not so great in a large motor home pulling a trailer. Ask what the engine torque rating is, not the HP. If it's less than 1000 Ft Lbs, keep looking!

Next, I have yet to find a 16 year old motor home that "everything works". Even new coaches need lots of TLC and repairs.

I like Monaco legacy coaches, but think with $40k to spend you can find a lot of very nice motor homes. Make your searches nationwide, not local. The $10k you save goes a long way for two airline tickets.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
For tiny bit more than that price I got a 2001 executive. I know it’s a bit older but the chassis being a tag is much better, it also has the 500hp Cummins and is a 40’. It was a garage kept AZ coach so very good looking.

Don’t know what your limits are but I think you can do a little better with what others have said.

Also that fridge will need to be replaced I would not have any nocold that old I just had to replace mine this weekend.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
First I would want to know if it is a 300hp Cummins ISC (8.3L), or a 300hp Cummins ISB (5.9L)? The ISB is the 5.9L engine used in Dodge pickups. Great pickup and backhoe engine, not so great in a large motor home pulling a trailer. Ask what the engine torque rating is, not the HP. If it's less than 1000 Ft Lbs, keep looking!

Next, I have yet to find a 16 year old motor home that "everything works". Even new coaches need lots of TLC and repairs.

I like Monaco legacy coaches, but think with $40k to spend you can find a lot of very nice motor homes. Make your searches nationwide, not local. The $10k you save goes a long way for two airline tickets.
Best of luck!
I sent them a few questions on the Neptune and we are waiting for a reply. I asked about the diesel size. We are doing nation wide searches and are looking to have the double slide in the front for the roominess. This one checked a lot of the boxes we are looking for but we are in no hurry to buy. I don't mind if there are a few things that need attention as my wife and I are pretty handy.

It is nice to have forums like this to educate people like me when buying/looking. Thank you to all and we will be checking this post for more info.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biljol View Post
For tiny bit more than that price I got a 2001 executive. I know it’s a bit older but the chassis being a tag is much better, it also has the 500hp Cummins and is a 40’. It was a garage kept AZ coach so very good looking.

Don’t know what your limits are but I think you can do a little better with what others have said.

Also that fridge will need to be replaced I would not have any nocold that old I just had to replace mine this weekend.

A new frig sounds like a pricey repair. Thanks for the input Biljol