Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2020, 06:56 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Plugging Fresh Water Overflow Tube?

Hi guys!

Just curious if anyone has ever plugged the overflow tube on the fresh water tank? This is the one where, if you overfill it, it comes out that tube.

The reason I ask is that I usually keep the tank full when parked. Over the last month I had to take it in twice for windshield work. Each time the unit was driven up and down hills that caused a lot of water loss. Wasted water.

This got me thinking, other than the obvious (overfilling the tank) is there anything actually wrong with plugging that drain line when you are going on a trip?
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2020, 07:16 PM   #2

I believe that in some coaches the overflow is also the tanks vent , so plugging it could result in the pump either not being to overcome the vacuum caused by the lack of vent or collapsing the tank .
Many Newmar owners with this issue have posted pictures of a fix , extending the loop of the overflow tubing and in Newmar's case raising the tank vent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Behind the peg board 1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	303995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Behind the peg board 2.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	558.5 KB
ID:	303996  

Old 10-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yep, mine doubles as the air vent.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

Most likely it doubles as a vent. If it does, you don't want to plug it. Filling it will blow it up like a balloon, possibly cracking tank. And as mentioned, the pump will be trying to collapse the tank as water is used up.

Where the vent comes out of the tank, run that tube up as high as possible, then back down towards ground. You may have to get a longer piece of tubing.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:27 PM   #5

I'm with everyone else. Engineers, being the parsimonius (that the $10 word for cheap) bunch that the are, would in nearly all cases, I think, use the overflow as the vent too. There is no reason not to as far as I can see, but then I'm not an engineer I just play one when I need to fix something.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:48 PM   #6

No rerouting, extending, reworking, plugging overflow line needed

Drill a 3/16" hole in top loop area of overflow....anti-siphon breaker hole
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
I believe that in some coaches the overflow is also the tanks vent , so plugging it could result in the pump either not being to overcome the vacuum caused by the lack of vent or collapsing the tank .
Many Newmar owners with this issue have posted pictures of a fix , extending the loop of the overflow tubing and in Newmar's case raising the tank vent.
Skip are the pictures you posted yours? I am looking for information on installing the See Level system in our 2001 Newmar Dutch Star and would like to ask some installation questions.
Eez Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:16 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone! I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow. All I see is a short piece of pex sticking out the bottom of the unit. I've been under the impression the entire line is just a right angle coming out of the tank - given the amount that it drains when on an incline.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:10 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Thanks everyone! I'll have to take a closer look at it tomorrow. All I see is a short piece of pex sticking out the bottom of the unit. I've been under the impression the entire line is just a right angle coming out of the tank - given the amount that it drains when on an incline.
Mine was right angle coming out of the tank and I had the same problem.
I simply bought some tubing from ace hardware, cut a piece of the pex, attached the new tube and ran it to top of the compartment before bringing back down. Problem solved and still acts as the needed vent.
TowDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Hi guys!

Just curious if anyone has ever plugged the overflow tube on the fresh water tank? This is the one where, if you overfill it, it comes out that tube.

The reason I ask is that I usually keep the tank full when parked. Over the last month I had to take it in twice for windshield work. Each time the unit was driven up and down hills that caused a lot of water loss. Wasted water.

This got me thinking, other than the obvious (overfilling the tank) is there anything actually wrong with plugging that drain line when you are going on a trip?
When I owned my RV shop a customer put a valve on his overflow tube to preclude just what you described. Unfortunately he forgot to open the valve when filling the tank. The tank expanded causing structural damage to his rig, specifically breaking the floor and cabinetry inside. After about $30K it was repaired.

I would absolutely recommend AGAINST plugging your overflow line.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #11

If you are going to all the trouble to mess with that overflow - given that it's likely well hidden - put an extnsion on it and run it out to where you fill the coach. That way you can see the water starting to dribble out and shut it off before it gets to way overfilled. Then if you need to you can drain a couple of gallons off at the low point drain.

The issue is not wasted water. The issue is how far your tank will suck down if it siphons and the damage that will cause. Frankly, if it only siphons on a hill it will likely break the siphon if there's any room for the water to slosh, but why take the chance.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:46 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowDawg View Post
Mine was right angle coming out of the tank and I had the same problem.
I simply bought some tubing from ace hardware, cut a piece of the pex, attached the new tube and ran it to top of the compartment before bringing back down. Problem solved and still acts as the needed vent.
I think that's going to be the answer. My driveway out of the park is a bit of an incline and I'm getting tired of people chasing me down saying I have a massive leak And there's no point in wasting water, and it looks like quite a bit gets lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
When I owned my RV shop a customer put a valve on his overflow tube to preclude just what you described. Unfortunately he forgot to open the valve when filling the tank. The tank expanded causing structural damage to his rig, specifically breaking the floor and cabinetry inside. After about $30K it was repaired.

I would absolutely recommend AGAINST plugging your overflow line.
Good point. That thought had crossed my mind when I was posting. I appreciate the confirmation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanDiemen23 View Post
If you are going to all the trouble to mess with that overflow - given that it's likely well hidden - put an extnsion on it and run it out to where you fill the coach. That way you can see the water starting to dribble out and shut it off before it gets to way overfilled. Then if you need to you can drain a couple of gallons off at the low point drain.

The issue is not wasted water. The issue is how far your tank will suck down if it siphons and the damage that will cause. Frankly, if it only siphons on a hill it will likely break the siphon if there's any room for the water to slosh, but why take the chance.
The valve to fill the tank is in the wet bay so the drain is located just below and behind (idea being you'll see/hear it when it's full). I haven't seen where the hose enters the tank but my gut is telling me it's not siphoning, it's a case of the water being on an angle and they located the drain in the wrong place.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:49 AM   #13

Just checked mine and 3 other Diplomats in the park we all have gravity fill hoses so that will act as a vent for the pump. And the several times that I forgot I was filling the fresh water it acts as an additional overflow. So if you have a gravity fill you won’t hurt a thing by plugging the 1/2 pex overflow
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 04:47 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccrob View Post
Just checked mine and 3 other Diplomats in the park we all have gravity fill hoses so that will act as a vent for the pump. And the several times that I forgot I was filling the fresh water it acts as an additional overflow. So if you have a gravity fill you won’t hurt a thing by plugging the 1/2 pex overflow
Awesome...and I'm sure you're 100% correct because I too have overfilled the tank and saw it coming out of the gravity fill. That should make it very easy for me - thanks for pointing that out because I had completely missed it.

Tags
fresh water, water