Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #1

Plumbing Diagram

I have a 2006 Camelot that I bought used in 2008. This is my first RV and after 3 years, I am still learning.

Since I got the coach, I have had better pressure using the water pump than I have ever had using city water. It doesn't matter what campground I am hooked up or even at home, it doesn't change the pressure inside. I have never thought the pressure was great at all but it was better using the pump.

I am getting ready for a week long trip next weekend so I thought I would check a few things. First thing I noticed today was the pressure was really low when using the pump and that the pump would not shut off. It was like it was not building up pressure. I checked all the connections and fittings and everything seemed fine.

I removed the pump to check it out a little closer, I cleaned the screen on the suction side of the pump. Didn't see anything out of place. With the pump still on the bench, I then hooked up the house water to the coach.

With the pump out of the system and the valve set to tank fill, the water would come out the suction side of the pump. When I switched the valve to city, all the water would come out the pressure side connection. Remember, the pump is not installed so there is no backpressure.

With the valve on city, I put my finger over the pressure line and it was all I could do to hold back the pressure. She was inside to watch the kitchen faucet and would not get water at all until I put my thumb over the fitting to build up the pressure. As I held the pressure she said the water pressure inside was ok, nothing great.

I have never winterized the coach since I leave it stored inside all the time and it never gets that cold so I have never turned any of the inline valves. Is there a plumbing diagram somewhere showing how this is plumbed? I didn't know where to start with the valves.

It seems odd to have all the tank fill water having to go through the pump and when on city, that all the pressure is pushing on the pump output. This maybe normal but seems odd.

If anyone has a similar diagram or ways to troubleshoot this, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Morris
mhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:18 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhansen View Post
I have a 2006 Camelot that I bought used in 2008. This is my first RV and after 3 years, I am still learning.

Since I got the coach, I have had better pressure using the water pump than I have ever had using city water. It doesn't matter what campground I am hooked up or even at home, it doesn't change the pressure inside. I have never thought the pressure was great at all but it was better using the pump.

I am getting ready for a week long trip next weekend so I thought I would check a few things. First thing I noticed today was the pressure was really low when using the pump and that the pump would not shut off. It was like it was not building up pressure. I checked all the connections and fittings and everything seemed fine.

I removed the pump to check it out a little closer, I cleaned the screen on the suction side of the pump. Didn't see anything out of place. With the pump still on the bench, I then hooked up the house water to the coach.

With the pump out of the system and the valve set to tank fill, the water would come out the suction side of the pump. When I switched the valve to city, all the water would come out the pressure side connection. Remember, the pump is not installed so there is no backpressure.

With the valve on city, I put my finger over the pressure line and it was all I could do to hold back the pressure. She was inside to watch the kitchen faucet and would not get water at all until I put my thumb over the fitting to build up the pressure. As I held the pressure she said the water pressure inside was ok, nothing great.

I have never winterized the coach since I leave it stored inside all the time and it never gets that cold so I have never turned any of the inline valves. Is there a plumbing diagram somewhere showing how this is plumbed? I didn't know where to start with the valves.

It seems odd to have all the tank fill water having to go through the pump and when on city, that all the pressure is pushing on the pump output. This maybe normal but seems odd.

If anyone has a similar diagram or ways to troubleshoot this, I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Morris
Morris,

I don't have a plumbing diagram but can tell you that the problem is most likely that valve that switches between city and tank fill. It is a bear to get to as you may have to remove the large white panel. There is usually a valve that prevents back flow to the city water connection and it could be stuck.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:52 AM   #3

Bob,

I figured since it was changing the flow direction that it was working properly. I will take that panel off and see what it looks like.

Do you know if the water typically goes through the pump in tank fill?

Thanks,

Morris
Old 08-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Bob,

I figured since it was changing the flow direction that it was working properly. I will take that panel off and see what it looks like.

Do you know if the water typically goes through the pump in tank fill?

Thanks,

Morris
No Morris, the water does not go through the pump during tank fill. The valve switches flow between the coach water or the fresh water tank. The pump output tees into the same coach water supply line as the city. The pump has a pickup at the bottom of the water tank. If the city water pressure is very low the pump will run and also supply water from the water tank. It is possible to have a split supply from the city input and the water tank if the pump is on.

Bob
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Bob,

That is what I would think also.

I have taken the panel off and here is what I found.

Out of the 3 lines going to the fill valve, one is for sure connected to the hose fill, one has "to house plumbing" written on the line and the other has "to tank". The fill valve has a check valve on the side that goes to house plumbing. The other side "to tank" does not have a check valve.

The "to tank" goes to a tee which one side goes to the suction side of the pump and the other goes somewhere I haven't found yet.

The house plumping goes to several inline tee's. One goes to the pressure side of the pump and one goes to the wet bay faucet. Others go inside the coach.

All the above seem to make sense. What I don't think makes sense is when the valve is in the position label tank fill, it really is connecting the line in to the household plumbing. When in city, it connects the fill to the tank plumbing.

I haven't messed with this valve before. I wouldn't think the printing on the panel is wrong. Could the valve be the wrong valve or plumbed backwards? Which line should this check valve be on? I would think it should be on the house plumbing side so when the pump is running it doesn't push water back out the fill hose.

Since I have owned the coach, I have used the pump 90% of the time and during this, I would have had the valve in the fill position. I do recall the first time I hooked up to city water in a campground, my neighbor said I was leaking water because it filled my tank and it was overflowing. This actually makes sense now that I see how the valve is working.

I think I need to redo this valve but want to make sure I know where the check valve needs to go.

I will try and post a picture in another post.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

The first picture shows the lines and you can see the panel labeling as well.

The next picture shows the valve in what is labeled as fill. In this position, the valve is open from the middle port to the left port through the check valve.

The last picture shows the valve in the position that is labeled as city. In this position, the middle port is open to the port on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-570004238.png
Views:	103
Size:	759.5 KB
ID:	13374   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-863816396.png
Views:	92
Size:	864.6 KB
ID:	13376  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4223747513.png
Views:	90
Size:	900.0 KB
ID:	13377  
Old 08-28-2011, 06:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Bob,

That is what I would think also.

I have taken the panel off and here is what I found.

Out of the 3 lines going to the fill valve, one is for sure connected to the hose fill, one has "to house plumbing" written on the line and the other has "to tank". The fill valve has a check valve on the side that goes to house plumbing. The other side "to tank" does not have a check valve.

The "to tank" goes to a tee which one side goes to the suction side of the pump and the other goes somewhere I haven't found yet.

The house plumping goes to several inline tee's. One goes to the pressure side of the pump and one goes to the wet bay faucet. Others go inside the coach.

All the above seem to make sense. What I don't think makes sense is when the valve is in the position label tank fill, it really is connecting the line in to the household plumbing. When in city, it connects the fill to the tank plumbing.

I haven't messed with this valve before. I wouldn't think the printing on the panel is wrong. Could the valve be the wrong valve or plumbed backwards? Which line should this check valve be on? I would think it should be on the house plumbing side so when the pump is running it doesn't push water back out the fill hose.

Since I have owned the coach, I have used the pump 90% of the time and during this, I would have had the valve in the fill position. I do recall the first time I hooked up to city water in a campground, my neighbor said I was leaking water because it filled my tank and it was overflowing. This actually makes sense now that I see how the valve is working.

I think I need to redo this valve but want to make sure I know where the check valve needs to go.

I will try and post a picture in another post.
Sounds like the valve may have been installed wrong. The check valve should keep the pump from sending water back to the city connection.

Good luck,

Bob
Old 08-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #8

Bob,

So that would mean the check valve should be on the fill side, not on the household or tank port.

That tells me the check valve is installed on the wrong port and the lines are swapped as well. I will move the check valve and moves the lines so the panel labeling is correct.

Hope this fixes it.

Thanks, Morris
Old 08-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
This is absolutely correct.

Tank fill = city water to suction side of pump (where the tank is)

city water = city water to output side of pump (where the house is)

There will be a check valve so when the pump is on, water doesn't squirt out the city water inlet hose connection.

Again, this is perfect.

Everything in your followup post is weird and backwards.

Put it all back together.
With no hose on the sity water connection, pump on, tank fill valve in "City water". If water comes out the faucets and none comes out on the street, it's all good.

Flip the city water valve to "tank fill," The pump will run continuous, like it cannot build pressure, and you'll in fact have no water pressure. THIS IS NORMAL, take the city water valve out of "TANK FILL" and never ever put it there unless you have a hose connected and want to fill the tank.

Turn off the pump. Hook up the hose. City water valve in "city water" position, you should get water out the faucets.
City water valve in "Tank fill" it should fill the tank and you'll get no water out the faucets.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:54 PM   #10

Jim,

Thanks for your detailed response. I appreciate everyone's willingness to help me.

My check valve was on the house side of the valve. Based on your description, I think it would work there since the pump is building pressure on the house side. In reality, the check valve would work in either the house side or the city side of the valve. I moved it to the city side of the valve.

Your comment about being in tank fill and running the pump and having the system not build up pressure. My system was never working like that. Before tonight, I would ALWAYS leave the system in tank fill and the pump has been working normally. Based on your comments, I need to leave the valve in City all the time.

I do think the handle was not correct. It was exactly backwards. Originally, when the valve was in the tank fill position, the valve would connect city and house together. This was based on having the valve disconnected and testing with air.

I adjusted this so everything should be connected properly. Now when I am in tank fill, I get very little flow to the faucets. It appears the water pump is letting a little through when filling the tank. I would get a low volume but steady flow from any faucet when I was in tank fill with the pump off. I am not sure if this is normal or not. Should the pump stop all flow when it is not running?

When the valve is in city, the tank does not fill any more and I get good pressure at the faucets. Turning on the pump gives me a little bit more pressure which seems common based on threads I have read before.

I put everything away tonight. I will run each of your tests tomorrow to make sure the check valve is working the way it should. I am 90% sure but it doesn't hurt to check again.

If anyone has any comments about the water pump check valve, I would be most interested.

Thanks again. I will provide another update after I finish the testing.

Morris