RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Arrow Plumbing - Thermostatic Mixing Valves ?

Hi guys!

I 'discovered' thermostatic mixing valves a few months back when I saw a shower control that automatically keeps the water temperature at the same level. I've never used one, or seen one, but I really like the idea.

It's now on sale, way cheaper then it was. But....I can't mount it in my shower because it won't fit :(

However, I was searching at Home Depot for them and saw some 'industrial' looking ones that are even cheaper that you would mount at the tank (by the looks of it) This is what I'm looking at;

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sha...ors/1000862677

Soooo....my non-plumber understanding is that you set that valve to whatever temperature you want and you will never get hot water that is hotter than that.

Am I right in that assumption?
Wouldn't that mean, if it was set correctly, I could just open only the hot water valve in my shower, set it to whatever flow rate I want, and it will be at the proper temperature, no matter how far I open the hot water valve?

Would it be the same in the kitchen sink? Ie. if I want hot water for the dishes I only have to open the hot water valve on high and it will fill the sink with the correct temperature water?

You can probably see where I'm going with this. Eliminate the need for a new shower fixture and then turn up the water temperature in the hot water tank to some really high temperature so that I have even more hot water!

But....I have noticed that the hot water in my unit never comes out as fast as the cold water for some reason. Would a lack of pressure on the hot water side ruin the whole thing or would it even matter because the valve is using both hot and cold water?

It seems to me it would be very easy to plumb this device in with my hot water tank because of all the room in there. Ie, a fun job that *might* accomplish what I am after at a fraction of the price. Or is my understanding way off base?

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 07:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Good question but my only thought is that even if it worked you'd limit yourself to that water temperature at the kitchen sink and laundry where you normally want hot hot water.

I think in theory what you want to do may work and actually might reduce water consumption in the shower since you are not having to test and adjust the water when taking a shower. You could just flip the control to hot wait until the hot water gets to the shower head and your good to go.

FWIW I have a tankless hot water heater with a digital control that I can set the temp to what ever I want. I could set it to a reasonable amount to accomplish about what you are talking about but my wife want it hot hot hot for laundry. So we kind of meet in the middle.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

Here's the solution I used and it works great. BobJones, look at how mine was mounted, maybe it would work for you?

See my entry on this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/shower-nozzle-shut-off-431122.html#post4638845
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #4

Bob, I think you are spot on. Mixing valves are often used so the temp can be
cranked way up but still not scald someone, in effect giving a larger water heater.
A brilliant idea, why didn't I think of it, too late though someone beat us to it.
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #5

W4KMA, great job, especially detailing install.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
Here's the solution I used and it works great. BobJones, look at how mine was mounted, maybe it would work for you?

See my entry on this thread:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4638845
That's what I was originally thinking but.....my fixture is mounted in the middle of a corner section in the shower, not on a flat spot. So the width is only about 9"

But...it sounds like the premise behind it is sound. I love this stuff. I'm not a plumber so it's like discovering new things!

Am I right in thinking I can also have flow control as well? Ie, not just temperature but volume? This would be ideal.

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #7

Correct, volume and temperature. On the Rozin, you set the temp on the right side and the left turns the flow on and off. Temp stays the same but it's only about 3/4 turn from off to full blast.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:43 PM   #8

My 10 gal water heater came originally with a mixing valve on the back of the water heater.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plumbing, thermostat, valve