Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2020, 02:33 PM   #1

Portable satellite set up

Currently have 2007 Monaco Dynasty with original king dome auto seek and works fine with direct tv. We contacted direct tv to install permanent dish at our site which was completed including cable with two ends. The tech would not hook up dish to our coach. Does anyone have instructions how to hook up dish to our dynasty? We plan to use this for several months and reverse installation to use auto dish until we return next season.
John Derlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My 2006 Camelot has a satellite port in the sewer compartment to hookup to. I have the same setup with a remote dish, I just hookup to that connection that says satellite and bingo TV.
Old 10-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

You should be able to use the external cable hookup for the satellite dish. If you have a switching box (BOMB) then you will have to re-configure the connections on it.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #4

Does it not have a direct tv receiver box that the satellite has to connect to? My dish setup does. You may have to connect the new dish to the receiver box somehow.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Do you have 2 cable connections in the wet bay? Which receiver do you have?
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 06:34 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Derlein View Post
Currently have 2007 Monaco Dynasty with original king dome auto seek and works fine with direct tv. We contacted direct tv to install permanent dish at our site which was completed including cable with two ends. The tech would not hook up dish to our coach. Does anyone have instructions how to hook up dish to our dynasty? We plan to use this for several months and reverse installation to use auto dish until we return next season.
Sounds like you got left short handed. I am sure the tech installed one of the newer LNB's that requires a power module inside the coach or a modern Direct TV receiver that supplies power to the LNB. If you do not have one of the Direct TV receivers you will need to get one.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:15 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Do you have 2 cable connections in the wet bay? Which receiver do you have?
The permanent dish from direct tv was installed two years ago and sub contractor installed by running cable to roof of coach, he disconnected the cable to the king dome then entered the area above the passenger seat where all the cables connect to king dome and receiver. He disconnected a few cables and connected these cable to one another, I asked him to label these so I was able to reconnect once I leave and no longer need the permanent dish until returning the following season. He gave me his phone number and instructed me to call him when leaving and he would come back and hook up our king dome and of course he did not answer or return my call. It took two more service calls from direct tv to make the system work by another sub contractor, direct no longer has sub contractors and will not assist give service to an rv owner due to liability. I'm asking for anyone that would be able to supply me with INSTRUCTIONS HOW TO HOOKUP the (2) wire cable to my rv and the replies are ridiculous except yours, I have receiver models: Model: H24-700 in living room and Model: D12-300 in our bedroom. There is a connection in the wet bay (I used in the past for cable hookup only) with only one connection. Thank you for trying to assist, I've called various rv centers to set up service call however none of these want to take on the task. If you have any advise it would be greatly appreciated however would like specific instructions if possible. Thanks again John
John Derlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Well John I can’t help and definitely not what you specifically directed but. To be fair , you initially didn’t specify much about your highly specific ( previous tech messing things up) situation . the nature of the forums is you will get many ( if lucky) answers and some suggestions that don’t apply or you don’t care about. Read over them and be specific about your situation. Chewing people out for not giving you what you want will get you zip.
Forums aren’t ask a question and get one specific answer places. There are many people reading this that may benefit from someone’s answer that doesn’t apply to you.
Good luck finding your answer ��
Old 10-24-2020, 07:44 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have dish and I am not familiar with those receiver numbers, but it would seem that you may be able to run coax directly to the back of each receiver. Most Dish systems do not care for spliters and other devices in line before the signal gets directly to the receiver, although there is ways to make them function. If that were an install I was doing for my self, I would run a coax directly from the portable dish to the back of each receiver. You may be able to go in along the edge of the slide in the front straight up to the cabinet, and in the rear you may be able to get up into the the bathroom cabinet and then into the slide in the bedroom as a possibility. It would seem that this should give you your best connection. When we had Direct, the tech installed one wire from the ground dish to the front receiver and we had a wireless router then to a wireless receiver in the rear. It was a great setup, they just priced themselves out of our service. This was in our 06 dynasty and yes, they aren't fond of working on an RV. We were at a residence at the time and used that address for billing and then changed after the install. Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:20 PM   #10

Just bought a satellite dish and am trying to decide whether to have it permanently installed on the roof or keep it flexible for it's placement when camping under trees. Any suggestions or experience with this?
lionessrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 04:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrohr View Post
Just bought a satellite dish and am trying to decide whether to have it permanently installed on the roof or keep it flexible for it's placement when camping under trees. Any suggestions or experience with this?
Which dish and which provider?
Old 10-29-2020, 08:51 AM   #12

Everything is from Dish Network
lionessrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Is it a automatic dish...finds the sats? I would keep it as a portable. In the summer, out West, we dry camp most of the time and elevation and shade (trees) makes it possible without running the generator for AC.

The dish should still work on a 150’ coax cable...much longer and the automatic feature may not work.
Old 10-30-2020, 04:10 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The Dish Playmaker has mounts that you can put on your roof that allow it to be removed and used as a portable. The downside is that it will only view/record one channel at a time meaning that if you are recording you will have to watch what you are recording. With the Winegard Traveler on the roof of the coach you can record one channel and watch another channel. Of course the Winegard Traveler is subject to be blocked by trees, etc. We converted from DirectTV to Dish about a year ago and I converted the Traveler from Direct to Dish. I also purchased the Playmaker for those times when trees block the Traveler. If you want to stick with only one I would suggest the Winegard Pathway X2 portable. It cannot be mounted on the roof but will tune both the Western and Eastern Arc and will skew so it picks up all three satellites in each group. The Winegard Traveler will only skew if tuning the Western Arc and the Playmaker will not skew so only receives one satellite at a time.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite