Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2021, 11:21 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Post-Opp Shoulder Surgery & Driving Class A

Anyone have complete reverse replacement? How is/was driving now?

Just home after Weds operation. Right shoulder & I'm right handed. Left hand is virtually useless....

Worried about how taxing it's going to be later. Hoping to be capable in about three months or so. I'm guessing that the time behind the wheel will be limited at first.

Hoping for some encouragement from others whom have been thru this and have behind them.

Thanks!

'ol one arm; Glenn

JellyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Had right shoulder surgery 3 times basically no rotator cuff left. The therapy will take at least 3 to 4 months 2 to 3 times a week. took me another 6 months to fully recover the biggest problem will be getting in and out of your class A. Don't rush it or You will do more damage.
Digger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:27 AM   #3

I had rotator cuff surgery May 19th, and with therapy I was in the RV in late August. Take it slow and easy.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 08:45 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger01 View Post
Had right shoulder surgery 3 times basically no rotator cuff left. The therapy will take at least 3 to 4 months 2 to 3 times a week. took me another 6 months to fully recover the biggest problem will be getting in and out of your class A. Don't rush it or You will do more damage.

3 Times.... Ouch! Great advice. Sad i'll be losing this season; my first travels of course... Don't know where i was going to head but at least a 2,000 mi trip one way was in mind.

If the motion of steering isn't too damaging I can heal on the road after the 4 month rehab. No rush. But that "to do'' list isn't getting any smaller! With all this free time and unable to do most anything it's growing more; daily....

Quote:
Originally Posted by txcpl View Post
I had rotator cuff surgery May 19th, and with therapy I was in the RV in late August. Take it slow and easy.

That's an encouraging time frame. June would put me in the middle of no-where by July!

Being right handed and loosing the simple abilities: mouse, writing, dexterity and shoveling food one-handed. There's a reason we used to eat with our bare hands!

Were you guys without your dominant hand?

Old 02-21-2021, 09:00 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Im heading for that surgery, been putting it off due to still working. How was it? What have you been told for recuperating time? My doctor is saying a year for full mobility. Im thinking of getting it done in the fall and have enough function to drive the MH in the early summer.
Old 02-21-2021, 09:54 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger01 View Post

I agree, I was in the same situation last May. It takes 2-3 months just to be able to turn the steering wheel and at least 6-8 months for full recovery.
The real problem is if you need to do any repairs, filter changes etc, you may inadvertently set yourself back to square one or at least delay the recovery. That's what happened with me.
Old 02-22-2021, 04:24 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbircky View Post
Im heading for that surgery, been putting it off due to still working. How was it? What have you been told for recuperating time? My doctor is saying a year for full mobility. Im thinking of getting it done in the fall and have enough function to drive the MH in the early summer.
It wasn't too bad. You wake up and it's done. Overnight for me; 28hrs total. 3 to 4 months is what i was told. Doing my recovery without narcotics...

Two things to be sure to do. Make sure they setup your arm sling BEFORE the surgery! If it's on your primary arm Practice using a mouse... also try to get those lifting chores done first.

Best wishes for a complete recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
I agree, I was in the same situation last May. It takes 2-3 months just to be able to turn the steering wheel and at least 6-8 months for full recovery.
The real problem is if you need to do any repairs, filter changes etc, you may inadvertently set yourself back to square one or at least delay the recovery. That's what happened with me.
Sounds hopeful! It's those things you take for granted; turning a wrench. Twisting a filter.

I'm really going to try to avoid problems but it is so easy to forget tasks you never think twice about! Like the filter changes i need to do.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:46 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
So I have probably 7 surgeries on my right shoulder and two or three on the left. The latest have been the artificial shoulder on the right shoulder, a year later the replacement/reverse on the right and then a year later a new base with longer extension. I am 55 so I started early I guess.

Couple things I would recommend is the same as above, fit your sling before surgery. I would also get an ice/water machine for pain and therapy, often times insurance pays for it. The biggest thing I will tell you is do everything they say, everything. Don't skip a PT session, do you own PT at home as they tell you too, and when you start to feel better, don't think about getting back into the old routine. It just takes time.

It's been a couple years since my last surgery. My shoulder will still pop out of place occasionally and after the first midnight run to the hospital, I've been able to force it back in place on my own.

I would expect 4-5 months of total time to somewhat back to normal, I never went back to quite normal, but close. I wish you luck and patience.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 04:54 PM   #9

I havent had shoulder done but know others. I have had hip and knee done and agree the ice water / compression machine & cuffs are very beneficial.
I had very measurable reduction in swelling after a couple of cycles each AM.
Follow PT instructions, don't over do it. Motion is good but not when using your own arm muscles. Having others provide the motion is beneficial especially at the early stages.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the encouragement! My arm is now out of the sling while at home. Feels tight but but mostly good. Don't rush!!!

Still wondering about how this affected the distance you felt comfortable driving at 6 months healing.

Here is a time line for future reference:

REVERSE TOTAL SHOULD REPLACEMENT PROTOCOL

FIRST WEEK
-WEAR SLING 24 HOURS A DAY
-PENDULUMS
-ELBOW, WRIST, AND HAND ROM
1-6 WEEKS
-WEAR SLING WHEN OUT OF HOME OR TRAVELING AND WEAR IT FOR SLEEPING.
-OK TO USE HAND OUT OF SLING CAUTIOUSLY FOR FUNCTIONAL TASKS SUCH AS TYPING AND
PROGRESSING TO EATING AND FIXING HAIR
-PASSIVE ROM AND ASSISTED ACTIVE ROM SUPINE FOR FLEXION AND ABDUCTION TO 90 DEGREES
IN SCAPULAR PLANE. ER IN NEUTRAL TO 30 DEGREES
-POSTURAL WORK, UPPER TRAPEZIUS RELAXATION, ACTIVE SCAPULAR RETRACTION AND
DEPRESSION
-ENCOURAGE A WALKING PROGRAM
6-12 WEEKS
-PASSIVE ROM AND ASSISTED ACTIVE ROM WORKING TOWARD FULL MOTION AS TOLERATED WITH
FULL EXTENSION AND ABD IN ALL PLANES. NO EXTENSION WITH ER
-ACTIVE ROM BEGINNING SUPINE AND PROGRESSING TO UPRIGHT
-OK TO DRIVE WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
12 WEEKS
-ISOTONIC STRENGTHENING STARTING WITH THERA-BAND FOR ROTATOR CUFF
-CONTINUE WITH MOTION
16 WEEKS
-SWIMMING OK
-CONTINUE WITH ROTATOR CUFF (RC) STRENGTHENING
4 MONTHS RETURN TO SPORTS SUCH AS GOLF AND FLY-FISHING
6 MONTHS RETURN TO SPORTS SUCH AS TENNIS, BOATING, SKIING
Old 02-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #11

It has taken nearly a year to become fully recovered. As others have stated, follow the physical therapy to the letter. I found PT to be very helpful. Often my shoulder was tired, not hurting. My therapist was happy as that was a sign of strengthening, but he was careful to not overdo it.

The first shoulder I had done, did not hurt after day 3. The second shoulder hurt for weeks afterwards and was slower in recovery. Hence, I would forget that schedule because everyone rehabs at a different rate. If you overdo it, you will fall behind. If your shoulder is a bit slower on healing, then you will be frustrated. After a while, you will learn to read your improvement and just don't overdo it.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:03 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
One thing I forgot to mention and thought of as I read more of the responses. I don't know if it was unique to me or common for all but vibrations on the arm can be a very painful thing.

After one surgery I was feeling pretty good but not good enough to drive. I was probably two or three weeks post surgery. We needed to take a drive that consisted of a hundred miles each way. On the way home, about half way, my arm began to throb and then switched to incredible pain. So much so I was almost brought to tears and might have paid someone to put me out of my misery. The only thing I can think that caused it was the simple vibrations going down the road. We pulled over and I had to rest for 30 minutes or more and wait for the advil to kick in. Just a heads up I wanted to pass on.

In regards to whether you will be up to driving in 6 months? As mentioned, everyone is different but I would be shocked if you aren't comfortable driving by then. Maybe not a 8 hour day but with proper breaks down the highway, I would think you will feel fine. Good luck and keep us posted.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #13

I had shoulder surgery mid December, my doctor had me slowly stretching the second day until I started PT. Everyone has given great and spot on advice, I would add this, if you have to make a fast emergency turning maneuver! You will act instinctively and use both arms. You will likely cause damage, IMO.

I am going on a short 3 hour drive this coming week, Im doing well but still have an issue reaching, so Im concerned, mine was just rotator, so be cautious.
gweedo295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:15 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBean View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement! My arm is now out of the sling while at home. Feels tight but but mostly good. Don't rush!!!

Still wondering about how this affected the distance you felt comfortable driving at 6 months healing.

Here is a time line for future reference:

REVERSE TOTAL SHOULD REPLACEMENT PROTOCOL

FIRST WEEK
-WEAR SLING 24 HOURS A DAY
-PENDULUMS
-ELBOW, WRIST, AND HAND ROM
1-6 WEEKS
-WEAR SLING WHEN OUT OF HOME OR TRAVELING AND WEAR IT FOR SLEEPING.
-OK TO USE HAND OUT OF SLING CAUTIOUSLY FOR FUNCTIONAL TASKS SUCH AS TYPING AND
PROGRESSING TO EATING AND FIXING HAIR
-PASSIVE ROM AND ASSISTED ACTIVE ROM SUPINE FOR FLEXION AND ABDUCTION TO 90 DEGREES
IN SCAPULAR PLANE. ER IN NEUTRAL TO 30 DEGREES
-POSTURAL WORK, UPPER TRAPEZIUS RELAXATION, ACTIVE SCAPULAR RETRACTION AND
DEPRESSION
-ENCOURAGE A WALKING PROGRAM
6-12 WEEKS
-PASSIVE ROM AND ASSISTED ACTIVE ROM WORKING TOWARD FULL MOTION AS TOLERATED WITH
FULL EXTENSION AND ABD IN ALL PLANES. NO EXTENSION WITH ER
-ACTIVE ROM BEGINNING SUPINE AND PROGRESSING TO UPRIGHT
-OK TO DRIVE WITH AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
12 WEEKS
-ISOTONIC STRENGTHENING STARTING WITH THERA-BAND FOR ROTATOR CUFF
-CONTINUE WITH MOTION
16 WEEKS
-SWIMMING OK
-CONTINUE WITH ROTATOR CUFF (RC) STRENGTHENING
4 MONTHS RETURN TO SPORTS SUCH AS GOLF AND FLY-FISHING
6 MONTHS RETURN TO SPORTS SUCH AS TENNIS, BOATING, SKIING
Have had labrum/rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders. Recovered fully from both. The timetable you have is spot on. You just have to remember 1) you are probably going to hit bumps on that road. Stick to your plan, talk to your therapist, nothing is ever a straight line with recovery. 2) No matter how good you think you feel, stick to your plan. Nobody can screw up a plan more quickly than someone who thinks they're farther along than they really are. The ones who recover the fullest and in optimum time are the ones who do their exercises faithfully every day they're supposed to, and in the manner they're supposed to. Good luck.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a