Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Power & Misc

We just completed a 3500 mile trip with a Buick Enclave tow car to South Dakota with no problems. Prior to the trip we have all new 15 ply Sumitomo tires installed. The vendor said to keep them at 110 psi- the RV manual says to weigh the coach etc- which is the correct way?

We stayed at KOA’s with 50 amp hookups but my energy monitor only indicated 30 amps not 50 and rotated AC compressor operation- any thoughts why it’s not registering 50 amps?

Any idea why Monaco only use one jack in the front? Our two previous RV’s were more stable using 4 jacks. How can we make it more stable when parked.

I have never used a TV connection at a KOA, are they easy to use? Any interface box needed?

I have noticed lately while using my Dish satellite I am getting some wavy lines on the screen. The screen is fine when using the DVD player.

I have a new power monitor to install to protect me from power spikes etc- Should I just install it for shore power or to also filter after the transfer switch?

Thanks in advance. Russ
russ2528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ2528 View Post
he vendor said to keep them at 110 psi- the RV manual says to weigh the coach etc- which is the correct way?
Weigh the coach and inflate per chart

Quote:
We stayed at KOA’s with 50 amp hookups but my energy monitor only indicated 30 amps not 50 and rotated AC compressor operation- any thoughts why it’s not registering 50 amps?
Park owners wired the camp on the cheep.. 50 amps is two legs so it's 120/240 volt service.. The only thing in your RV that actually uses 240 volt is the Energy Manager.. That is how it can tell you are on 50 amps.. I might add, wiring the park with only one leg is dangerous.

Quote:
Our two previous RV’s were more stable using 4 jacks. How can we make it more stable when parked.
On my coach thre are 4 legs but effectively only 3 jacks as both front jacks work in tandum but I do agree with you and do not know why they do it that way,cheaper I guess.

Quote:
I have never used a TV connection at a KOA, are they easy to use? Any interface box needed?
Depends on the company supplying cable.. I understand COX is going all encrypted,, Thus in COX communities you need a box. I am against this.
Quote:
I have noticed lately while using my Dish satellite I am getting some wavy lines on the screen. The screen is fine when using the DVD player.
Dish is (always has been) Digital so that should not happen but what you are seeing is the result of a ground loop I suspect (you eliminated most other causes) This may sound strange but there is an adapter you can use to plug a 3-prong device into a 2 prong outlet. Get one and install it on the Receiver

Quote:
I have a new power monitor to install to protect me from power spikes etc- Should I just install it for shore power or to also filter after the transfer switch?
Onan generators are fairly smart.. I do not believe they need low/high voltage protection as the control computer will simply shut it down if that happens. However this is personal opinion and others.. Well some agree, Some do not.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:59 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ2528 View Post
The vendor said to keep them at 110 psi- the RV manual says to weigh the coach etc- which is the correct way?
The load carrying ability of the tires is directly proportional to the pressure -- the higher the pressure, the more load the tires can safely carry.

The tires will have a tire pressure stamped on the sidewall. This is the MINIMUM pressure required for the tires to carry their MAXIMUM rated load. It's likely that is the pressure the vendor is stating.

Running the tires at that pressure is safe (unless you are overloading the tires, where there will be no pressure that is safe.) However, the ride will be harsher at higher pressure because the tires will be harder. If you do a four corner weighing of the coach and properly calculate the required pressures, you may be able to reduce the tire pressures and get a more comfortable ride.

Running at full pressure is safe and easy, running at the specific pressure for your weight can be more comfortable.

Quote:
wa8yxm has a valid theory about incorrectly wired pedestals. While rare, it can happen.

Other causes could be a broken or loose connection that is affecting one hot lead, including a bad contact in the socket or plug. Also, the energy monitor is watching the voltages that are tapped off of two key circuit breakers (which breakers will vary by the installation.) If one of those key breakers has tripped, the monitor won't see the 240 volts that signals a 50 amp circuit, and will assume a 30 amp service. Make sure all breakers are on: some styles can trip without looking tripped, and others can't be reset by just pushing them on. To be sure, flip the breaker off and then on again, this will always reset any style breaker.

It could also be a failure in your energy monitor system.

Quote:
Any idea why Monaco only use one jack in the front? Our two previous RV’s were more stable using 4 jacks. How can we make it more stable when parked.
Think of a three legged stool: it's always stable no matter how uneven of a floor it is on. However, a four legged chair or table can rock if the floor isn't perfectly flat.

Similarly, a three jack system will always be in good contact with the ground. It will also be less likely (but not impossible) to twist the frame with only three jacks. Finally (and this could be the biggest reason) three jacks are cheaper than four.

To make it more stable, minimize the length that the jacks are extended. Dump the air bags to lower the suspension as much as possible before operating the jacks. Also, place wooden blocking under the jacks so that they don't have to extend so far. The shorter the jack extension, the less it will move and sway, and the more stable your coach will be.

Quote:
wa8yxm has some good ideas about grounding.

How is your receiver connected to the TV? If it's connected through a coax cable to the TV antenna inputs, and you need to tune the TV to a regular TV station to watch the receiver, it could be that there is a strong enough over the air TV station on a nearby channel that is causing interference. Your DVD player may be having a good picture because it either has a direct video connection (not through a TV channel) or it is using a different channel that doesn't have interference.

There are several ways to make the connection between a receiver and TV, listed from best to worst:
  1. HDMI or DVI
  2. Component video (red/green/blue RCA connectors)
  3. S-Video (mini-DIN connector)
  4. Composite Video (yellow RCA connector)
  5. RF modulator (coax cable to TV, TV tunes in a particular station.)
If you are using one of the higher number (poorer quality) connections, you may get better results moving to a lower number (higher quality) type of connection.

Quote:
There is a lot of hot debate on that.

Many generators do have some protection against over/under voltage, but that protection can fail, and the wiring between the generator and transfer switch can fail (there is a current thread where someone is getting high generator voltage (145v) on one leg, and low voltage (104v) on another, which is probably due to a broken neutral wire between the generator and transfer switch. Having the power protection after the transfer switch will protect from this type of problem as well as shore power problems.

Then there are those who want to put the protection before the transfer switch, as they are concerned about power problems damaging the transfer switch. This has some merit, but it means that the coach is left unprotected from generator problems.

I'm in the camp of putting it after the transfer switch, and that's how I installed mine. It not only protects against generator failures, but the remote display lets me monitor the current in each generator leg so that I know whether it's getting too high. This method does leave the transfer switch unprotected. However, I see this as a small risk, at least for my transfer switch: the control circuitry and relays are powered by the generator, not shore power, so putting the protection before the transfer switch won't protect those portions of the switch. While putting it before the transfer switch will protect the relay contacts from wiring/power issues, they are not generally affected by those sorts of problems. And, if something should cause the transfer switch to fail, they are easy to replace, and at a couple hundred dollars they not that expensive, at least compared to the thousands of dollars of damage that could happen in a coach when a generator fails.

I put it after the transfer switch, for reasons that I think are convincing, and I'm in good company with a lot of other people who have put it after the transfer switch. But there are also lots of people who put it before the transfer switch, and they are in good company as well. It's a personal decision, which to me came down to what are you worried about most: the transfer switch, or everything else in the coach?
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Russ check out this link, some of the guys that are pretty sharp electricians have come up with a build it your self tester that you can test the power pedestal before you go to the trouble of backing in to the spot to confirm it is a true 50 amp and is properly wired. Or you can buy one from Richard Smith.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/50-a...er-176562.html
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power