Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2016, 02:57 PM   #1

Power awning motor

2005 Holliday Rambler Scepter . I am sure the motor is froze up , Tried to jump it with the battery off of my truck , big spark , no movement . after taking it apart , took the numbers off of the motor and found that the motor is a G.M. power window motor . I have one on order . My question is how much awning spring tension (if any) do I use when the new motor is installed . Do these motors use a pressure switch , or is just power applied or not. The awning is a Colorado Carefree .
tireman62075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2016, 05:19 PM   #2

If it is an Carefree Eclipse (as on my 2005) there is no spring. The awing runs in and out using the motor only.

Good Luck
Old 09-22-2016, 03:42 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I noticed mine is getting weaker. I had to help it the other day to roll completely up. Will be following your progress.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
I noticed mine is getting weaker. I had to help it the other day to roll completely up. Will be following your progress.
The motor usually just quits. If it gets "weak", it is usually the barrel connector located beside the front arm.

The connector is infamous for corrosion. Open, clean and reconnect is usually the answer. A good spray contact cleaner/diaelectric is best.

Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

carefree eclipse awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
If it is an Carefree Eclipse (as on my 2005) there is no spring. The awing runs in and out using the motor only.

Good Luck
I also have an 05 eclipse that has stopped working. I have power at the power connector but no movement. The manual says that there is a pneumatic piston powering the extension? and to be cautious and strap the arms. Mine is in the retracted position and they want you to "split" the cover. The cover costs $41, but I have been unable to get the screws out

Two questions: 1. is there a spring/pneumatic piston? 2. has anyone gotten that "shell cover" off without breaking the shell?
philand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 08:08 AM   #6

TIREMAN62075. . . If you do get the correct motor could you share the GM part # please. . . philander the pneumatic piston of which you speak is a SUSPA & I think this is it https://shop.suspa.com/c16-24341-gas-spring-p614.aspx Some places also rebuild the struts if you GOOGLE strut rebuilding. . . I subscribed to this forum for future use. . .
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by xydial View Post
The motor usually just quits. If it gets "weak", it is usually the barrel connector located beside the front arm.

The connector is infamous for corrosion. Open, clean and reconnect is usually the answer. A good spray contact cleaner/diaelectric is best.

Good Luck.

Barrel connector where?

Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
FMCA U60 Task Force Chairman
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 08:17 PM   #8

update on carefree powr awning

motor was bad, took a # off of motor and googled it and found it to be a GM power window motor. ordered one off of ebay for $31.09 free shipping . installed it today and it works great . my awning did not have any springs in it . received a email today from amazon (the must be tracking my purchase's) they offered the same motor from carefree for $178.00 . Looks like a pretty good profit margin for carefree .
My motor home is a 2005 Holliday Rambler Scepter .
Thanks for the input , hope this helps some other do it your selfer .
Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #9

carefree awning update

The motor that I ordered off of ebay was a Dorman# 742-141 .
I googled the # off of the old motor , it was a longer # , but it ended with 742141 . this is used on a lot of the older GM products . It has a 3 hole mounting on the motor.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 PM   #10

. . . TIREMAN. . . Any pictures of the operation? Details on how you performed the job & what was involved? Might be helpful to folks down the road. .TIA. . .
Stuff-Happens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 06:12 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tireman62075 View Post
motor was bad, took a # off of motor and googled it and found it to be a GM power window motor. ordered one off of ebay for $31.09 free shipping . installed it today and it works great . my awning did not have any springs in it . received a email today from amazon (the must be tracking my purchase's) they offered the same motor from carefree for $178.00 . Looks like a pretty good profit margin for carefree .
My motor home is a 2005 Holliday Rambler Scepter .
Thanks for the input , hope this helps some other do it your selfer .
Really great info. Don't think mine is long for this world and at about 30 bucks might just go ahead and change it out when I get home. Thanks for the follow up.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, awning