Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2011, 05:20 PM   #1

Power Door Awning ?

The power entry door awning decided not to work anymore. The last time I used it, it wouldnt close and I tapped the motor area and it began to work. Now it is closed and wont open. When you press the button you can hear a slight clicking at the awning. I'm assuming the motor has a dead spot or is just junk. With that said, how do you take the motor out and is it replaceable or rebuildable?
Hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
The power entry door awning decided not to work anymore. The last time I used it, it wouldnt close and I tapped the motor area and it began to work. Now it is closed and wont open. When you press the button you can hear a slight clicking at the awning. I'm assuming the motor has a dead spot or is just junk. With that said, how do you take the motor out and is it replaceable or rebuildable?
Hedgehog,

You don't mention what coach or awning. I know that Carfree had a bad run of motors around 2006 and ours was one of them. Water would leak in and rust up the shaft. You might have the same issue. Maybe take it apart and grease it up.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #3

If you got "clicking" might the current limiter control be at fault and not the motor? Sounds like it is starting to open, exceeds the current spec and then shuts off, thinking it is either fully extended or retracted.

Of course more info about the manf of the awning and rig would help.
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:56 PM   #4

The coach is a 2006 Monaco Knight and the awning is a Carefree I think.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
Hedgehog,

You don't mention what coach or awning. I know that Carfree had a bad run of motors around 2006 and ours was one of them. Water would leak in and rust up the shaft. You might have the same issue. Maybe take it apart and grease it up.

Bob
Our awning had the exact same problem ... water damage. We had to replace the motor. It has worked great since we replaced about a year ago.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 12:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The motor in the door awning is a tube motor made by a company in France called MIMA. Carefree shows all the parts on there website but will not sell anything but the whole motor, what a cr*p company. Ours had a broken plastic gear that is totally replaceable, so I took a die cast 2" pulley with a 1/2" hole and cut two notches in the outer edge so it would mate to the awning tube, then replaced the set screw with a #10 drill screw. Fixed for $3.40 vs the whole motor for 265.00

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ii just had my OTD awning motor replaced under warranty yesterday, my old one looked like Drifters, the new motor has a different shaft and instead of the plastic gear, it has 2 steel plates that match the notches in the awning tube. The new design is a big improvement over the original design.
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #8

I wonder if my Xtra Ride extended warranty would cover that. I have the platinum package with a $200 deductible. It states that awning mechanics are cover, just not the fabric or would they say its not covered if it is actually water damage.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Drifter,
Where did you get the parts to replace the plastic piece of junk? Thanks
Old 10-21-2011, 04:49 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
observer, I bought it at a local hareware.

Here's a link to what and where.
Amazon.com: CHICAGO DIE CASTING 200A5 SINGLE V-GROOVE DIE CAST PULLEY 1/2" X 2": Home Improvement

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 04:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
06 Endeavor and my motor ended up being a lump of rust because of the way the housing was designed and trapped water. CF refused any help, but local dealer told me the motor was from a 2002-2006 Lincoln car window motor (If I remember correctly).
Sorry but i don't remember the particulars, maybe it can jog someone else's memory?
RustyTools is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 06:12 PM   #12

How do you take this thing apart to gain access to the motor. The awning is dead in the closed position.

Tags
awning, door, power