RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #1

Power Electric Step question

On our 2004 Monaco LaPalma with the triple power step, it fails to return all the way up unless I assist it. Other than lubrication on all the pivots, is there something else I can do or is it just a weak motor? The coach only has 22,000 miles on it but I have no idea how it was used prior to us owning it. I'm just wondering if there is a voltage problem or some other thing within the mechanism that I could repair/replace. Thanks in advance.

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

Sounds like time to replace the motor, which is fairly easy. There are soft gears in the motor that wear out. Some have had luck repositioning the worn gear so those teeth are in a spot not used.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elwood58 View Post
Sounds like time to replace the motor, which is fairly easy. There are soft gears in the motor that wear out. Some have had luck repositioning the worn gear so those teeth are in a spot not used.
Thanks Elwood, I did find a video to that effect on Youtube after posting here. I'm going to give that a try first. I seem to recall that the motors are the same as an automotive window motor or wiper motor but I don't recall what make/model/year. I would hate to pay the price of a Kwikee motor.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:08 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2004 HR Vacationer which is the cousin to the LaPalma and used almost all the same parts. The step (motor) can be problematic because of a slightly stripped gear on the motor. Once it slips and the big step frame gear are not in sync, it won't fully retract or sometimes won't fully extend. The bigger problem is trying to 'fix' it. Most new motors will not work with the step frame - especially the one recommended by Kwikee. Believe me, I know - I went through 4 motors before finding one that will work. If you have the same 3 step/frame I have, the motor is indexed by the gear itself - it has a small extension to the gear that fits into the step frame. That is why it came be held in place with three fairly light weight Bolts with hold-offs. It doesn't rely on the bolts to hold it centered. The gear does that. So if you have that kind of step plate, you need a very specific motor. Let me know if that is the case and I can give you the right numbers - available on Amazon for less than $100.00.
And as an aside, the easy way to get access to the motor is to drop the step plate. The big nut holding the pivot to the stairs (watch out, they drop open when you remove this nut) and 3 bolts holding the step plate. Then you have access to the motor and the nuts/bolts holding it to the step plate.

Hope this helps, Steve
US Navy - Vietnam Swiftboat Vet - PCF 102, PCF-62
Steve43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve43 View Post
I have a 2004 HR Vacationer which is the cousin to the LaPalma and used almost all the same parts. The step (motor) can be problematic because of a slightly stripped gear on the motor. Once it slips and the big step frame gear are not in sync, it won't fully retract or sometimes won't fully extend. The bigger problem is trying to 'fix' it. Most new motors will not work with the step frame - especially the one recommended by Kwikee. Believe me, I know - I went through 4 motors before finding one that will work. If you have the same 3 step/frame I have, the motor is indexed by the gear itself - it has a small extension to the gear that fits into the step frame. That is why it came be held in place with three fairly light weight Bolts with hold-offs. It doesn't rely on the bolts to hold it centered. The gear does that. So if you have that kind of step plate, you need a very specific motor. Let me know if that is the case and I can give you the right numbers - available on Amazon for less than $100.00.
And as an aside, the easy way to get access to the motor is to drop the step plate. The big nut holding the pivot to the stairs (watch out, they drop open when you remove this nut) and 3 bolts holding the step plate. Then you have access to the motor and the nuts/bolts holding it to the step plate.

Hope this helps, Steve
Thanks Steve. I think I have the same one as you described but as of yet, I have not crawled under the m/h to inspect it. After viewing the video on how to reposition the drive gear, I'm going to give that a try first. I can use our steps in that they do open and close fine. They just don't retract all the way without my assisting them by pushing them up right as they near the end of travel. I'm also going to do a really good lube job on them to see if that helps. When you mentioned all the motors I got curious as to how you finally figured it all out. Have you also heard that the motors are pretty much the same as certain automotive window motors or windshield wiper motors? If need be, I'll try to locate one of those for the price. $100 seems a bit high but who knows at this point?
Old 08-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #6
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xj2kM...vSsqX?e=o7P5Bn

This is my first attempt at sharing multiple files. There is a lot of information in these files. Opening some of the files will show yellow post it notes. Mouse over or click for them to open if they have not already shown.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, power