RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't do that. Not in this type of system. The break will still be there and you might end up with more problems that you started with. Clamp it for now.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 AM   #16

Observer is correct. It won't matter how you fix the crack, it will leak again unless tank is supported and no up and down movement. I would not use any kind of stop leak. It could cause unknown problems. I used JB Weld a couple of years ago and it is holding great.
Chuck48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
Observer is correct. It won't matter how you fix the crack, it will leak again unless tank is supported and no up and down movement. I would not use any kind of stop leak. It could cause unknown problems. I used JB Weld a couple of years ago and it is holding great.
X2 on the JB Weld. Very good and it will hold. Remove tank, empty, clean and seal and refill.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by denpalmer View Post
Thanks to everyone who offered their help. I purchased some Lucas Hydraulic stop leak. I am hesitant to use it, I don't want to cause anymore problems. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?
Just keep extra fluid on hand and add as needed. Continue your trip and get the tank fixed and supported after you get home. If you forget to check the fluid and it gets low you will know because you start getting "jacks are down" alarm when they are up. The system senses if the jacks are up by a float in that tank. When you raise the jacks the fluid returns to the tank from the jack cylinders. If there is not enough fluid to raise the float high enough the system thinks the jacks are down. I started this tank support stuff about four years ago. Here is the original thread:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/powe...ort-53502.html

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I made and installed a support bracket for mine today thanks to this forum. I am hoping I caught this issue before it became an issue. Thanks for the heads up.

I did have a loose sender fitting which was leaking, as well as the filler plug and drain plug. I tightened them all up and will keep my fingers crossed.
fastcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I didn't get lucky. Had to pull the tank and weld it up today.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #21

Did you support it so it can't move up and down. If so how if you don't mind sharing.
denpalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
There are some good pictures in this thread showing the support. To prevent up ward travel you could use some metal strapping to hold the tank down to the support platform.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Just a simple piece of 14 gauge flat sheet metal, 3" wide x long enough to span the frame rails (about 11" in my case).

The bottom of the tank was about 1/2" below the rails so I formed a little "trough" in the bracket, then bent the ears back to sit flat on the rails.

One self drilling/tapping tek screw on each side to hold it in place.

I made a couple slots about 1" wide for the band clamp to go through in the bracket and wrapped some rubber pond liner material around the tank.

No rocket science here but the tank's good and rigid now.

Old 02-17-2015, 07:37 PM   #24

Hydraulic tank leaking! I found this old thread it states that leak is from weld breaking from movement. I checked my tank and the weld appears fine however the what appears to be a sending unit on top of tank is very wet and I think the leak is coming from there. Also the dip stick and cap was lose and wet but hard to tell if coming from sending unit or cap as they are close together? I tightened the cap. The sending unit is lose and just turns cannot tighten? Maybe just a friction fit?

Any thoughts

Hurk
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #25

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As always I'm a day late. My tank cracked at the weld today while changing the fluid!
The majority of all repairs seems to be JB weld.
For this to crack as I was loosing the drain bolt, LUCKY ME or nice job conan, you broke it.
Glad to join the club and I will be building a support, thanks,
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by arby View Post
Several months ago I read about supporting the Power Gear tank to keep from breaking the weld. At the time I didn't have a problem and really didn't understand what the post was all about or even where the tank was. Well that all changed when mine started leaking. Thanks to the info I found on this site I knew right where to look and what to do. I found a good mobile RV Tech here in Yuma. He took the tank off in just a few minutes, took it to a local shop where they pressure tested it, found the crack in the weld and repaired it. The tank is now supported too and hopefully fixed forever. It took 3 1/2 years and 40,000 miles for it to leak on my 07 Diplomat. If you are like me and have not supported your tank yet, it is just a matter of time.
My tank cracked and I took it and had it welded and the built a simple support that has lasted 9 years so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1573_1.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	175.9 KB
ID:	274664  
Old 02-11-2020, 09:49 AM   #27

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Updata

My buddy took to weld, said what a pos welding job.
He said, MUST have support bracket or it will happen again.
You posters are always right, love this place for answers.

Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
Hydraulic tank leaking! I found this old thread it states that leak is from weld breaking from movement. I checked my tank and the weld appears fine however the what appears to be a sending unit on top of tank is very wet and I think the leak is coming from there. Also the dip stick and cap was lose and wet but hard to tell if coming from sending unit or cap as they are close together? I tightened the cap. The sending unit is lose and just turns cannot tighten? Maybe just a friction fit?

Any thoughts

Hurk

Hurk: to tighten the sending unit you need two wrenches. Use a 10mm wrench on the narrow shaft where the wires are to hold it still while you tighten the large nut at the base. Tightening the large nut compresses the rubber washer against the tank grommet. This only works if the washer and grommet are in good condition. If you disassemble to check these be careful you don't drop the whole sending unit into the tank.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote