Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 10:32 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Power steps on 08 Endeavor.

The power steps (unknown brand) on my HR Endeavor suddenly stopped working. Thankfully they quit in the up position so I can still drive the coach.
I was thinking a fuse blew because I didn’t notice anything that would suggest a motor failure... no strange noise or weak motor before it just stopped working.
The step switch located just inside the door doesn’t light up anymore either.
I went into the main fuse panel located in the compartment under the driver side window and pulled the two fuses that I could find that mentioned anything about steps... both of these fuses looked fine to me.
Is there another fuse location or relay that anybody knows about?
I suppose that after 13 years, the steps just decided they’re not going to work anymore and need to be replaced.
Sorry, I know this is somewhat vague but was hoping to get lucky and maybe someone could suggest something I’m missing.
This thing is fairly complicated and I’m far from being an electrician or RV Tech.
Thank you, Brian.
Sheriffbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 03:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Brian, you should do a search, as you will find a multitude of threads on the steps. They likely are Coach Step, but the names have changed over the years. Coach Step, SCS Frigette, Lippert, Kwikee all may apply.

I’ve spent many hours repairing my steps. Replacing the motor, the module, and the door jamb contacts.

You should determine if the motor is running. Stand outside and open and close the door, to see if you can hear the motor working. If you can hear it, it likely means the motor is shot. Replacing it isn’t too difficult or costly. Again search the forum and you will find details on how to replace it.

Of you get under there to work on the steps, be careful. Make sure you get the coach up on ramps and keep your body away from any moving parts.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:40 AM   #3

Thank you for the reply. I will do a search. Thanks for providing some brand names as I can’t find a brand name anywhere on them.
When I open the door, there is absolutely no noise or any indication that the steps are trying to work. The steps literally worked with no issues and the next time I opened the door, they are dead.
That’s why I think it’s something electrical. I’m going to crawl back under there (carefully) and look for a bad ground or loose wire etc... hopefully I’ll find something that I missed the first time. Thanks again.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On my coach, there is a fuse under the passenger armrest. Its tight in there but if you trace the wires from behind the step door switch with your hand, you should find a black inline fuse holder. You might check that first.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

Thank you! I’ll check for he inline fuse. Didn’t think of that.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I think your couch is the HR brother to my Diplomat. A common problem of the SCS Frigette is the connector you will find behind the step. The method to check that is to pull the connection apart, clean the 2 halves and reassemble. I use a shot of CSC Electrical Contact Cleaner on each part of the connector before reassembling. I would definitely check that before going too much further. I've only ever heard of fuses blowing when there's something blocking the step on open or close.
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #7

Thanks again, I did pull that connection apart and it didn’t look too bad so I didn’t clean it. I’ll pull it again and at least spray it out with electrical contact cleaner.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #8

Well, I couldn’t figure it out. The motorhome is in the shop for a roof repair so I’ll have the experts take a look at it.
Old 10-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
YC1

http://www.powergearus.com/diagnostic-videos

Download this file: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xj2kM...vSsqX?e=w6jdSd

Here are several files that should help. Be careful messing about because the motor is quite powerful and the scissor action of the steps can really hurt you.

If you have not serviced the steps for a long time I highly recommend putting a small jack under them and removing the four mounting bolts. Let it down and disconnect the wiring. You are going to need to clean up the ground wires at a minimum.

Once the thing is safely out you can lay it on its side and operate it with a spare battery or jumper cables from your batteries. Again, safety first here.

It is not uncommon for the circuit board to fail and the motor too. I have had to replace both. While the steps are off, inspect all of the hardware. There are some brass bearings and bolts that need close inspection. I have had the bolts actually break but we full time and work them hard.

Now is a good time to do a major overhaul and replace the bearings and bolts.

The circuit board was available on Amazon as is the motor but the motor can be had often at a local parts store.

You have to be careful with disassembly to note any small space washers that are in use. Getting a motor that is slightly different can present a few challenges getting things in place and not being too tight or too loose.

If all you want to do is get yours up and running for now, you need to get a voltmeter and better yet a simple test light to check the wires while everything is in place.

Run the rv up in the front on the leveling jack and put some jack stands in place to get lots of room under there. Dang, watch where your hands are when messing about that thing can take off suddenly.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:18 AM   #10
YC1

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqrv2TUdbV6xjjsv...0-iNu?e=vcqcXd

Brian, I may have sent you a DVD in years past with tons of files. Even if I have take a look at these and I highly suggest you download them. They have been gathered since buying our rv in 2008 and there are lots of thinks like the steps files I posted.

When you open a PDF look for any post it note like yellow places if they have not already opened. Mouse over and click if necessary. You will find things like models and part numbers and suppliers along with any hints.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-06-2020, 09:06 AM   #11

YC1, Thank you very much! Huge amount of very useful information that you have gathered over the years. I can’t thank you enough, I will get a lot of use out of it. Brian
Old 10-06-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
YC1

Glad to be of Service Brian.

Tags
endeavor, power, steps