Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Year/make/model of coach would help. Must be a recent year if it's a Monaco but has a Freightliner chassis, so wondering why batteries needed changing already.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttmusson View Post
I swapped out the right batteries, and connected them correctly, without leaving any wires off. before I replaced then batteries, I needed to use the aux battery switch to get the engine started, but had all buzzer and gauges energized at turn of the ignition switch.

Removing one battery at a time, and replacing the cables and wires as they were, once all connections were finished, the dashboard has no power.

The front fuse block is energized and there is power on both sides of the fuses and breakers but nothing at the ignition switch.

The thing worked until I changed out the batteries, then nothing. I found no relay, or cut out switch, or any shade tree dofers, and I did not ground out any wires or short any either.
Mutt
Two easy things to check (if your coach has these):

1) If you have a "rear" engine start switch. make sure you didn't accidently knock the switch to "rear start" position (or center/neutral) - if you have such switch. It's usually located in the engine compartment area.

2) If you have a 12V disconnect switch (located at battery area, or in the cab (a.k.a. Salesman's Switch) make sure it did not get turned off. If it is off you would have no 12V lighting in the coach as well.

Where are you checking the ignition switch for power - at the electrical plug at switch? Do your headlights turn On?
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Mutt, this exact scenario comes up fairly often. Next time, take a picture of the batteries and wiring before installing new batteries. Also, make sure the master cutoff switches are off and all shore power disconnected. Disconnect the ground first and reattach it last.

I think last time a Monaco owner posted he found a fuse inside the battery compartment wiring that was bad.

Monaco made their own Roadmaster chassis. If you give us the year make and model we can be more detailed?
Hope you get it.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 05:50 PM   #18

Unless the 12V system is split all the way to the battery, ie there are multiple connections and you left part of it off... the fact that SOME of the system is getting power means it's NOT the battery connection.

Start looking down stream.
'20 RAM 3500, '20 Heartland Road Warrior 430 https://thecastle.blog/ Also: Eagle Cap 950 Before:'17 Berkshire 38A class A https://dragonship.blog/ '11 Heartland Cyclone TH, '11 Lance TC, '05 Keystone TT, '76 Coachmen class A and a '16 DIY Transit conversion........
oscarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #19

On some Monaco products there are ignition interlocks on both slides and leveling jacks.

Remember once panicking when the coach won't start as we were trying to leave for home. After checking all the battery connections and fuses, I cycled the slide in and everything lit up.

Also in the battery compartment there are often 3 fused wires from the positive chassis battery terminal. On my Monaco 2 are 7.5 amp and the 3rd a 10 amp which feed the ECM and the Transmission Control Module and the injection pump. Not sure if they are the same on a Freightliner chassis but worth checking for.

Have you checked with Freightliner for chassis electrical schematics? I recall reading posts where others were able to get significant information and parts from them based upon the chassis VIN.

Another resource if you have a Cummins engine is the Cummins Quickserve website which has all the information on your engine based upon the Engine Serial Number including manuals and parts diagrams.

Good luck.

Dave
kidz_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
powerful probem

Ok, details: 2001 39ft DP two slides. The chassis is sans power. the coach electrics, both shore power and 12 v work fine.
I am going to down load a schematic from freight liner soon.
I did not disconnect shore power, but did isolate the batteries at the isolator switch.
I have power to the front left side fuse boxes, power out of the fuse box, but nothing at the ignition switch. no lights, horn, buzzer, or cigarette lighter.....
Another thing, I have not attempted to start the generator....Didn't even consider it. Will do that in the morning. It has been raining for the last few days, and so I have not don much except play with my dogs...
Thank you all for your interest in this new guys issue problems. Will update once I get back running.
I am in no immediate need, nor am I stranded, so I can afford to take things slow, at my age that is all I have left, slow and stopped....
It surprised me that I could get this old, and still be so dumb!
Mutt
muttmusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:40 PM   #21

Taking a picture of battery wiring configuration with your cell phone is the best way to avoid problems when replacing batteries.
Since that is too late, add it to your computers memory bank for future use.
If you're like me my personal memory bank is now a well-worn sock instead of a bank and needs a replacement.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
First, Monaco's did not have Freightliner chassis in 2001! All were built on the Roadmaster chassis!
Since this happened after you changed battery's, there is where you start! Check all around the battery's for a missed/left off wire! Also, on the positive side of your battery you have a fused wire that goes to the transmission, so check that it is not blown! Follow the wire back about a foot or two, you will see the fuse! It may be in a lump of tape. You did not mention if your shift pad is working or not! If no power to the transmission, and the shift pad is dark, you will get no power to the ignition!
This happened to me when changing battery's, the fuse to the transmission got knocked out of it's holder, It was a automotive type blade fuse! It is now wire tied in!
Hope it is something simple like this, good luck! Rail!
Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Powerfulkm Problem.....

Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their informed and thoughtful responses. Yes, I am a novice RV owner, and in the attempt to not spend money or shops and mechanics, and having somewhat of a mechanical mind, and unafraid in the face of danger, make some bone head moves, and often creature issues because of my ignorance. But this is about an electrical issue I suffered after swapping out the chassis batteries.
I observed carefully the arrangement of the cables, I tried the wires together, and marked which polarity, and carefully replaced each one where it came from. That is when I discovered the chassis had no power, nada. Because of weather, disappointment in my failure, and the fact I am doing all the doing, thinking and running around myself, with the help of two lively dogs, I could not devote all the time I needed to run down the issue. So, a little here, some there, reference the book, the internet, and you wonderfully helpful RVers, I went out to do battle with the electricity hiding inside my motorhome, and when I opened the battery box door, I saw plain as, I had hooked the positive battery cutout cable to the negative side of the terminal.....Since the positive cable was connected to the negative side of the battery, there was no damage from arcing, or grounding, and simply placing the cable where it belonged, made my problem go away!!!! Had I towed the rig the the mechanic, and had they discovered the mistake, I am sure I would have paid dearly for it both in money and the joke I would have been had I given up....
Now, it is a matter of finishing loading the rig, and away we go!!!
Thanks guys, and women. I would have lost faith without your support.. Mutt
muttmusson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 04:19 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I happens a lot - even to professional mechanics. That's why I mark all the connections (using paint stick and colored heat shrink tubing). It's not only for my own use but in case someone else ever works on my coach - to prevent them from screwing up. And the photo idea is good too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beaver Coach battery tray.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	247789  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 09:23 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
I happens a lot - even to professional mechanics. That's why I mark all the connections (using paint stick and colored heat shrink tubing). It's not only for my own use but in case someone else ever works on my coach - to prevent them from screwing up. And the photo idea is good too.
We must be brothers from a different mother. I too like the KISS system. Keep it simple. Today, what seems straight forward, may, due to memory, later becomes a mystery. With 6 volt, 12 volt then 24 volt start systems, plain visible marking like that are a god send!!
Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Firstly, I want to thank everyone for their informed and thoughtful responses. Yes, I am a novice RV owner, and in the attempt to not spend money or shops and mechanics, and having somewhat of a mechanical mind, and unafraid in the face of danger, make some bone head moves, and often creature issues because of my ignorance. But this is about an electrical issue I suffered after swapping out the chassis batteries.
I observed carefully the arrangement of the cables, I tried the wires together, and marked which polarity, and carefully replaced each one where it came from. That is when I discovered the chassis had no power, nada. Because of weather, disappointment in my failure, and the fact I am doing all the doing, thinking and running around myself, with the help of two lively dogs, I could not devote all the time I needed to run down the issue. So, a little here, some there, reference the book, the internet, and you wonderfully helpful RVers, I went out to do battle with the electricity hiding inside my motorhome, and when I opened the battery box door, I saw plain as, I had hooked the positive battery cutout cable to the negative side of the terminal.....Since the positive cable was connected to the negative side of the battery, there was no damage from arcing, or grounding, and simply placing the cable where it belonged, made my problem go away!!!! Had I towed the rig the the mechanic, and had they discovered the mistake, I am sure I would have paid dearly for it both in money and the joke I would have been had I given up....
Although you are a novice RV owner, it is obvious you have good troubleshooting skills and the perserverance to see an issue through to a solution. I think you will do well on your new adventure! So drive safe and enjoy the ride....
bjbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:22 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbear View Post
Although you are a novice RV owner, it is obvious you have good troubleshooting skills and the perserverance to see an issue through to a solution. I think you will do well on your new adventure! So drive safe and enjoy the ride....
Well said and I agree.
Mutt, you'll be just fine out there.
Old 06-03-2019, 08:27 AM   #28

Quote:

I've spent 36 years working with electricity in the entertainment industry; problems are almost always electro-mechanical, i.e. a bad connector, corrosion, physical damage or stressing of connections or wires.. or human failures.

The human failures are typically discovered right after some kind of repair, replacement, or modification work.

When I get phone calls about stuff no longer working my first question is "what was the last thing you did?" It shortens the trouble shooting time.

So congratulations! You've done yourself well. A bit of time away from the source of consternation and confusion greatly helps the process of finding out where one has missed a wire, screw, fuse or cable.

Good luck and safe travels always

Tags
power, problem