Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Pre Water Filter

We just purchased a 2006 Safari Cheetah and been working on my bucket list. I had to replace the aerators as they were almost clogged with calcium deposits. I have seen some pictures of a per water filter installed in the water bay. It does not look like I have a lot of room to do that but would like to install one there if possible. Does anyone have any experience with this? A friend of mine that pulls a trailer uses one externally but that seems like a PITA to connect it every time.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
On my '08 Beaver I was able to drill a few holes in the panel in the wet bay to facilitate installing pre-filters there. I had to take a bit of time to feel behind it and verify that it would all fit. Glad I did because the factory location was a PIMA to get to.

I was going to link to my thread with the pictures; but I see that the pictures aren't showing?

Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:10 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I guess I'm missing something here! If you have a good quality filter under the sink for consumable water, why not just use the blue Camco filter in your water hose like most folks?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:23 PM   #4

In addition to the OEM house filters, I use a Blue Camco filter at the pedestal. But, if you are worried about Calcium, no filter will help. Require a Softner to do that.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I guess I'm missing something here! If you have a good quality filter under the sink for consumable water, why not just use the blue Camco filter in your water hose like most folks?
Speaking only for myself, this filters EVERYTHING going into the coach (All faucets, ice maker, etc). Easier to replace IMHO and cheaper than the in-line filters.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

I set up a water softer and everything is plumed with quick connects ez on and off plus I use it to wash the car and coach and it keeps the shower, ice maker clean.
http://www.amazon.com/Go-OTG4-DBLSOF...s=OTG4-DBLSOFT
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
I set up a water softer and everything is plumed with quick connects ez on and off plus I use it to wash the car and coach and it keeps the shower, ice maker clean.
2 stroker
I have thought about one of those. Don't need it here, but on the road it would be nice. Plumb it before or after the filters? I am thinking after...
Old 12-22-2015, 05:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Never know what you are getting........

I have the expensive KDF whole house filter in the wet bay, and this spun 5 micron filter in a "Clear" houseing outside so I can see what is going on and what kind of water I am dealing with. I have seen some really bad water in my travels, and without the clear housing........?............And I always carry, good, clean, full tank of water, and I have had to use it before instead of the parks water. And as you can see in the photo, the water where this photo was taken, was one of the worst water supplys that I have had in my travels, and this was a very high end resort
The filter was 1 day old(Brand new)
(Click on photo to zoom in)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04892.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	114713  
Old 12-22-2015, 06:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
I have the expensive KDF whole house filter in the wet bay, and this spun 5 micron filter in a "Clear" houseing outside so I can see what is going on and what kind of water I am dealing with. I have seen some really bad water in my travels, and without the clear housing........?............And I always carry, good, clean, full tank of water, and I have had to use it before instead of the parks water. And as you can see in the photo, the water where this photo was taken, was one of the worst water supplys that I have had in my travels, and this was a very high end resort
The filter was 1 day old(Brand new)
(Click on photo to zoom in)
That sucks for 1 days use.
I have a house filter before the softener and a house filter in the bay. I like clean water. When i got my coach everything had calcium build up in it, took a while to get things clean.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
2 stroker
This look interesting not sure I have enough room for this and a filter but need to really look thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 09:16 PM   #11

Palehorse that looks like rust. I had an old house in the historic district in Dallas that I installed dual whole house filters. If the city broke a main or opened one up it would knock the rust loose. I once had them completely plugged in 3 days. I always run water out on the ground before I hook up because of that.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 12-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Palehorse that looks like rust. I had an old house in the historic district in Dallas that I installed dual whole house filters. If the city broke a main or opened one up it would knock the rust loose. I once had them completely plugged in 3 days. I always run water out on the ground before I hook up because of that.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Other folks there said it was in the water all the time...........Most had treatment filters and softeners.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I use a whole-house filter externally. I cut a traffic cone to stand it up. I put a white 10' hose on the inlet side of the filter, leaving a pressure reducer permanently attached. I connect the coach hose with a Camco quick connection fitting. Takes very little time when hooking up.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think this site has the best for all water filtering. I'm getting the jumbo canister unit with a combo filter that does 1 micron filtering plus carbon taste filtering:

RV Water Filter Store: Standard Filter Canisters for Whole RV
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water