Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #1

President Obama referenced the RV Industry Problems, credit for the industry as well as consumers, in this evening's address. I thought it was a great reference that frames the economy in general. Glad he did that for Monaco's and other manufacturer's.
motojavaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I was very excited when I heard him mention the RV industry. Go Obama!!!!
Lukeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Other than the usual campaign rethoric about all he said that was meaningful was that the loans on 2nd homes (aka motorhomes) would be eligible for refinance at a lower rate under the same plan to be offered to home mortgage holders.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
To motojavaphil,

Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 05:35 PM   #5

Bob,
When I started this thread I was merely reporting a piece of information that had no political intentions. Sorry you took it that way but I felt some good news for a beleaguered industry and for consumers was a positive. Please do not introduce politics to this.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:04 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
This is just a friendly reminder to make sure this topic does not take any political turns as per the "Terms in Service" agreement.
MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

I will keep this totally APOLITICAL>

I really dont think that $ are needed by the RV industry. They need sales. Let us say for example that either through the existing TARP program or the "bailout" that Monaco gets 5 million dollars. What would they do with the money? Certainly would not start up the production line unless they had some orders. No sense calling back the emloyees unless they will sweep floors. I suppose the money could be used to reopen (with a full staff) the service centers. This would help the laid off workers as well as existing and potential customers. Opening the parts dept. with more staff might help. What if CC got the same amount? They could pay back Wells Fargo. That would help only the bankers. They had very few orders before the closing and I doubt they have very many more today. More floor sweepers? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The industries that need help are those who could purchase better machinery that would allow them to be more efficient and thus increase profits and sales and employment. That would not apply to the RV industry. In order for Government money to do any good it has to create lots of employment. Those that have jobs might return to buying toys. Perhaps some type of diversification(none vehicular) by the RV industry would help
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by moisheh:
I will keep this totally APOLITICAL>

I really dont think that $ are needed by the RV industry. They need sales. Let us say for example that either through the existing TARP program or the "bailout" that Monaco gets 5 million dollars. What would they do with the money? Certainly would not start up the production line unless they had some orders. No sense calling back the emloyees unless they will sweep floors. I suppose the money could be used to reopen (with a full staff) the service centers. This would help the laid off workers as well as existing and potential customers. Opening the parts dept. with more staff might help. What if CC got the same amount? They could pay back Wells Fargo. That would help only the bankers. They had very few orders before the closing and I doubt they have very many more today. More floor sweepers? Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong. The industries that need help are those who could purchase better machinery that would allow them to be more efficient and thus increase profits and sales and employment. That would not apply to the RV industry. In order for Government money to do any good it has to create lots of employment. Those that have jobs might return to buying toys. Perhaps some type of diversification(none vehicular) by the RV industry would help
Here's a thought...Instead of giving the money to the banks and hoping for a trickle down effect (any money that could get past the executive's bonus)let's try a trickle UP effect. Give the money to the tax payer (divided equally among all register voters 21 and up)so that he can pay off his debts (that'll help the banks, ie credit cards, and mortgages)and any money left over could be used for investments,(help stockbrokers) buying "toys" (that would help the economy in general). The buying spree would cause factories to rehire, stores to rehire clerks, etc,etc....I think we should at least try it, we've already blown 700+ billion, why not try something different.
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 AM   #9

Moisheh,
The plight of the RV Industry has been all but forgotten as the financial tidal wave takes out bank after bank, retailer after retailer and company after company. No doubt it is a complex problem but for the Industry to be specifically identified by the President has positive overtones. I heard him talking about credit easing, the unemployed, and towns being leveled but not floor sweepers. I am not an expert but I do see and hear about folks looking and shopping but unable to buy. Clearing current inventory will allow the manufacturers to gauge the market and build to it.
I am no expert and perhaps you understand this better than I do but I just felt this was a positive thing. Your point is well taken regarding putting money where it would be more effective. The mess is bigger than any one Country.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally posted by motojavaphil:
Moisheh,
The plight of the RV Industry has been all but forgotten as the financial tidal wave takes out bank after bank, retailer after retailer and company after company. No doubt it is a complex problem but for the Industry to be specifically identified by the President has positive overtones. I heard him talking about credit easing, the unemployed, and towns being leveled but not floor sweepers. I am not an expert but I do see and hear about folks looking and shopping but unable to buy. Clearing current inventory will allow the manufacturers to gauge the market and build to it.
I am no expert and perhaps you understand this better than I do but I just felt this was a positive thing. Your point is well taken regarding putting money where it would be more effective. The mess is bigger than any one Country.
Wasn't that what the first 700 billion was for, to help banks keep making the loans so that the economy would get jump started? That's why I think we should try my idea and see where it leads us....At least that way I can get some of my tax dollars back...
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
We are in what you call a conundrum! Consumer debt and buying what we could not afford caused a bubble. The only way to re-inflate the bubble is creat a way that people can increase their consumer debt and buy what they can not afford.

Sounds like a real problem to me. A problem even New Presidents can't solve. Seems the only solution is to let the great depression happen again with the chips falling where they may. Then and only then will order and common sense prevail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Oh, by the way, this was not a paid politcal announcemnt!
Old 02-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Wasn't that what the first 700 billion was for, to help banks keep making the loans so that the economy would get jump started? That's why I think we should try my idea and see where it leads us....At least that way I can get some of my tax dollars back...

I have to agree with you 100% Charles. I think that we taxpayers certainly could have done more to stimulate the economy than anything the government can do.
nutensteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #14

Ditto