Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2020, 08:47 PM   #1

Pressure washer

Hello everyone, hope your all well, So today I just purchased a portable pressure washer from Lowes, its a 1700 psi 1.2gpm, for $79.00 I bought it due to the last time I hit the butterfly migration going across Az, the color, the sound, and the mess is something that I will not forget too soon.
Anyway my question is: For those of you that have them will they run off the house fresh water pump? I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that has a spigot that is linked to the water system. My intension is for those migration days or days with anything with wings stuck to the front of my rig, rather than to try giving my rig a bath with the glass squeegee at a truck stop to instead just wash it clean with 1700psi.
(im thinking theres $$$ to be made if it works, LOL as I was not the only person giving a rig a frontal wash with a squeegee)
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
Hello everyone, hope your all well, So today I just purchased a portable pressure washer from Lowes, its a 1700 psi 1.2gpm, for $79.00 I bought it due to the last time I hit the butterfly migration going across Az, the color, the sound, and the mess is something that I will not forget too soon.
Anyway my question is: For those of you that have them will they run off the house fresh water pump? I have a 2003 Holiday Rambler Endeavor that has a spigot that is linked to the water system. My intension is for those migration days or days with anything with wings stuck to the front of my rig, rather than to try giving my rig a bath with the glass squeegee at a truck stop to instead just wash it clean with 1700psi.
(im thinking theres $$$ to be made if it works, LOL as I was not the only person giving a rig a frontal wash with a squeegee)

I purchased one recently from Rural King but, have not hooked it up to the R.V.
I would think we need to check the GPM rating on our DC pump and as long as we don't exceed it we should be fine. I do think optimally we should be hooked to city water hookup to make sure we don't burn the PW up if it is starving for water.

Look forward to what you find!
Marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #3

I don't think you will be able to run it hooked up to the rv's water pump. At least based upon the water pumps I've had in my travel trailers and that I have in my Bay Star.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:13 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
I've used my small pressure washer using just the RV's water supply and pump many times. Works just fine and neither the RV or the pressure washer were starved for water.

The pressure washer comes with a soap foaming bottle which is perfect for using Meguiar's wash/wax to soap up a section of the rig (about equal to the size of the nose or back of the unit), then brush to do a gentle scrub and then power wash to rinse.

Use only the white nozzle as the other's are too aggressive.
RI Expat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:13 AM   #5

Just wondering here... Does the washer really need water supplied to it under pressure? I've seen guys in the on-site cleaning business and they have their water stored in a container on a trailer. Does it use gravity feed? If gravity feed would work, it would be easy to adapt a supply hose to the drain on your water storage tank. Check the specs on the washer, it will say to supply so many gpm but does it mention at a certain pressure? Just a thought...
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
Just wondering here... Does the washer really need water supplied to it under pressure? I've seen guys in the on-site cleaning business and they have their water stored in a container on a trailer. Does it use gravity feed? If gravity feed would work, it would be easy to adapt a supply hose to the drain on your water storage tank. Check the specs on the washer, it will say to supply so many gpm but does it mention at a certain pressure? Just a thought...
The pumps are designed for push supply and they don’t do well pulling the water but if the rv gravity feeds should be fine. Didn’t think of that but I bet it would work.
Marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:54 AM   #7

I have the Greenworks 1700 psi and use it everytime the coach needs a wash. Most of the time water from the coach fresh water tank.

The water supply comes from the outside shower head I removed and made a garden hose fitting. Then bought a 50ft. coil hose to get all around the coach

Coach water pump pressure is fine, I have found that it takes around 50 gallons of water out the fresh water tank to pre wash, then wash off the soap. I also have a small deionizer attached to the pressure washer for final spot-less rinse

Pressure washer

This is what I did for a DIY Di system

rechargeable inner cartridge

DuPont Valve In Head whole house filter

Di material

You'll need a couple plumbing parts post number 7 to convert NPT to garden hose

I'd like to thank Brobox for his thread on this DIY
Old 06-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #8

Perhaps tap a male garden hose fitting to the fresh water drain with a gate valve ...job done... no pump required..... gravity feed and all the water you will ever need for a pressure washer.

Happy Trails
Old 06-16-2020, 07:27 AM   #9

RobRoy, great idea! I'm going to try that, saves having to run the genny at storage or in a parking lot.

My drain already has a 1" ball valve with a 90 out the bottom for on/off
Old 06-16-2020, 08:01 AM   #10

Home Depot has PVC to make garden hose fitting. One of those stepped up to fit my ~2" fresh water drain is how I drain my tank with the MH inside my storage building. Home Depot is the only box store I know of that has the fitting. I can look up their stock number if needed.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4KMA View Post
Home Depot has PVC to make garden hose fitting. One of those stepped up to fit my ~2" fresh water drain is how I drain my tank with the MH inside my storage building. Home Depot is the only box store I know of that has the fitting. I can look up their stock number if needed.
Home Depot model number 53360 for 3/4" PVC or 53368 for 1/2" PVC
Old 06-16-2020, 09:47 AM   #12

Wow...I guess I've learned something! I retract my previous reply. I have the same Greenworks power washer as RichnSue, so now I know it could be used using my water pump.

Another reason to be here....always something to learn!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote