Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question Problem installing LED 9007 headlights

I have a 2008 Monaco Diplomat. I just tried to install 9007 dual beam LEDs to replace my factory installed lights.
I think I installed them correctly, but, they wouldn't shift between high beam and low beam. I shined them on a garage and hit the high beam and then hit it again. I didn't notice any change in the beam at all. I talked with the business I purchased them from several times and we couldn't come up with an answer! I am worried I might blind on coming traffic if I can't change to low beams while driving at night.
Has anybody else faced this situation before?
Any suggestions?

Thanks I really appreciate this forum. I get a lot of ideas and questions answered here.
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #2

I wonder if it's one of those cases with LEDs where the manufacturer couldn't get the light bright enough to be called a high beam so they just sold them anyway hoping no one would complain. Check them at night against your car's headlights on bright. See which set casts down the road the furthest.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Question polarity?

I just read an article talking about different polarity being an issue in the high and low beam not working correctly. Has anyone ever heard of this and what would be the correction?

How would I check to see if this was the problem?
sfdladder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfdladder11 View Post
I just read an article talking about different polarity being an issue in the high and low beam not working correctly. Has anyone ever heard of this and what would be the correction?

How would I check to see if this was the problem?
polarity, positive to positive, negative to negative, reverse polarity, positive to negative, , positive to negative. It does make a difference on some led lights, what make did you buy and did they come with a harness and instructions. Not all led headlamps are created equally.
Old 05-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #5

Since leds are diodes polarity definitely is important. If the electronis are not in the bulbs to set it correctly to the LEDs then you have to wire it correctly
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:58 AM   #6

I would remove one. ,compare the connections to old HL and just hooked to a battery. To verify and answer any questions of high /low. A few guys from work tried LED HLs and returned some of them for various reasons mostly because of poor elect. connections .
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:03 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
So, the dual-beam LEDs have two sets of LEDs on them, right? Where one set of emitters is low beam and the other is high beam? Or maybe both sets are on for high beam?
Should be able to pull a bulb out of the housing and look at it on low and high to see if the 2nd set of emitters is responding to your switching the headlights between high and low.
That'll tell you if you have an electrical problem or otherwise.
If the two sets of emitters are responding to your high/low switch, then it's something else.
LED bulbs can't place the emitters exactly where the incandescent filaments would be. And the emitters are also larger than the incandescent filaments. And some bulbs let you rotate the emitters inside the housing for alignment. These factors change the optics of your headlight assemblies and determine how well the reflectors will focus the light. In the best case, the optics are almost as good as original. But in the worst case they can spoil the optics to the point the headlights are pretty useless.
There can be a big difference between a bulb that fits, and kinda "works" -vs- a bulb that works properly.
When I converted mine (not dual-beam), I had a huge problem adapting the bulbs to get the emitters to sit in the right position inside the reflector. My bulbs were supplied with H7 adapters that did hold the bulbs in the housing securely, but didn't put the emitters anywhere even close to where they need to be.
My specific problem is unique to the BMW headlights that monaco used, but aftermarket LED lights will be subject to similar problems.
Make sure your bulbs are extending out into the reflector the same distance as the original filaments. And make sure your LEDs are indexed to shine out horizontally when the bulb is in position.
Cheers,
Walter.

Tags
headlight, headlights, install, led, light, lights, problem