Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 07:24 PM   #1

Problem when leveling MH

I have a 2011 HR Neptune 40’ with RR8R chassis. When I let the air out of the airbags prior to leveling, I hear a popping sound as the MH is lowering. It sounds like two metal parts are binding and pop as one part passes the other. I hear the sound when almost all the air is out of the bags. I also hear the sound as I am airing the bags back up. Any thoughts on what may be binding?
LA RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 PM   #2

I would have someone else dump the air while I stood outside to narrow down the location. Could be any number of things. If you can narrow it down that would help us help you better.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
r u talking about just air leveling or do you have jacks as well ?

If jacks, have you considered cleaning and lubing the jacks ?
Old 01-05-2018, 09:32 PM   #4

I have leveling jacks, but the problem is not caused by the jacks. The binding is caused by letting air out of the coach air bags to lower the coach prior to leveling.
LA RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:49 PM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA RVer View Post
I have leveling jacks, but the problem is not caused by the jacks. The binding is caused by letting air out of the coach air bags to lower the coach prior to leveling.
Check to see if one of the jacks has been damaged or bent, it my be binding against the frame as the coach settles..
And check moving parts on the suspension as well.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:39 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA RVer View Post
I have a 2011 HR Neptune 40’ with RR8R chassis. When I let the air out of the airbags prior to leveling, I hear a popping sound as the MH is lowering. It sounds like two metal parts are binding and pop as one part passes the other. I hear the sound when almost all the air is out of the bags. I also hear the sound as I am airing the bags back up. Any thoughts on what may be binding?
My coach pops and creaks too when leveling. I figure it just all the weight and components moving around when the frame starts lifting and twisting.

In your case it should not be too hard to pin point the source if you can repeat the sound each time. Like another poster said, go outside and listen while your significant other dumps/raises the coach.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
My coach pops and creaks too when leveling. I figure it just all the weight and components moving around when the frame starts lifting and twisting.

In your case it should not be too hard to pin point the source if you can repeat the sound each time. Like another poster said, go outside and listen while your significant other dumps/raises the coach.
Country B, i thought the same as you because mine does the same thing. Sometimes when my jacks are lowering I get a strange sound before the jacks touch the ground. I think it's just a slight vibration of metal sound where the jacks are sliding (hard to explain). Then I reread the OP post. He said it's when the air bags are blowing air prior to leveling. However could be similar creaking if maybe one side or corner is dropping faster or slower than the others.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Op. Get under coach and look at the air bags and anything close to them. The airbags depending on coach usually have metal cap they sit in the cap is usually a tube where when fully deflated the cover will go over lower perch, one could be bent and hitting the perch or lower portion?
They will creak and moan inflating or deflating from flex but if your hearing metal on metal go look at these areas. You could also just have any number of things attached or tied to chassis that are just rubbing on the body as it raises or lowers. Hoses, wiring harnesses, gas lines, etc
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:38 AM   #9
YC1

Ok, since you are saying it is during the time air is going out and NOT when doing anything with the jacks it could be a bad shock absorber.

One recent thread the op has a broken shock mount.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
Ok, since you are saying it is during the time air is going out and NOT when doing anything with the jacks it could be a bad shock absorber.

One recent thread the op has a broken shock mount.

That would do it.
JLWoodward is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leveling