Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2012, 12:34 PM   #1

Problem: windshield has separated from support

we own a 40' monaco 2003 diplimat. bought it new. recently took in for front windshield to be resealed when tech alerted us to a problem where you can go to the top of windshield and push out to see that there is no support inbetween the windshield and roof. Help !!! anyone know how to help us find blueprints to motorhome so that we can fix ? we know that monaco sold to navastar.
pamjnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
What did the glass guy tell you?
Ron
Old 02-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #3

Heartland RV Club
First of all.Welcome to the forum ,now that's out of the way.

I am a former Monaco Holiday Rambler owner ,07 Neptune.
I had issues with my windshield coming out of the seal at the top drivers side.
My windshield shop guy noticed there was no support what so ever in the front cap area. Just the fiberglass opening ,Before Monaco went under they were working on a Halo kit for that issue. Must of been a big issue,quality was a big one for them.

I traded up last year ,my 2011 Winnebago Journey has a full frame that the windshield sits in.
Do a search for Halo kit on this forum and you should get some info.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Its rare that you hear of a two piece windshield having issues. I would want to know more than someone telling/showing it pushes out at the top. Its kinda of like telling you that your engine stalled, lets replace the motor.

I think a competent window guy would pull the one windshield and inspect the frame. Did it rust out, break off or the rubber seal went bad. You need a little more info before you start looking for chassis drawings.

I think in a worse case scenario, someone may have to do some fiberglass repair around the frame.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #5

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Its rare that you hear of a two piece windshield having issues. I would want to know more than someone telling/showing it pushes out at the top. Its kinda of like telling you that your engine stalled, lets replace the motor.

I think a competent window guy would pull the one windshield and inspect the frame. Did it rust out, break off or the rubber seal went bad. You need a little more info before you start looking for chassis drawings.

I think in a worse case scenario, someone may have to do some fiberglass repair around the frame.
Mine was a one piece windshield ,may be different than yours.
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:08 AM   #6

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:

This has got me wondering now Don. I have a interior window screen that suction cups to the windshield and when re-applying my suction cups I noticed that the center of the windshield moves quite a bit when I push on it. Last summer when I drove through some heavy rain we had some leaking and I plan to have a windshield installer reseal mine. But I'm suspecting that the aluminum strip between the two halves of the glass is not attached to the frame. I think this may just be a seal for the middle windshield and not a support.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had the exact thing happen to my 2002 Diplomat with the two piece windshield. I took it to an RV place and they wanted to remove everything and put in a new center bar, or reattach the existing one once removed. They could not even give me an estimate on price.

I let it go for a while. Then it started to get wind noise real bad, so it was time to take action.

I took it to a large glass shop that does auto, RV and big trucks. They looked at it, and while they said they could not guarantee the fix. That they could seal the windshield all the way around to the fiberglass cap. The price was $150. What did I have to loose!!!!!

When I sold the coach 3-4 years later, the repair was still perfect. They did the seal job without removing the glass.

I did have to sit at their location for 8 hours after the repair to allow time for the sealant to cure before driving.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:27 AM   #8

I want to know where 38 special got his unit fixed. That is a great shop.
bingo1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
The black sealant they use now days REALLY seals and sticks, but I would have to look at a couple of things. If you plan to keep the coach and use it frequently, I would do a thorough repair.

My coach has the two piece windshield and I would want to know what was going wrong. You could pay a glass shop to look and repair, pay an RV shop to find the problem and in my case, I would have the glass removed and probably look for a suitable repair to do myself such as reattach the center support or fibergalss in an area that has gone bad.

I'm thinking that the most likely cause is what "38 Special" is reporting. If thats the case and you would be satisfied with just resealing it, it may last as long as you own the coach. The option may be to pull the TV and get up in the nose and see if the center bar could be secured via a bracket or fiberglassing it onto the cap.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1492 View Post
I want to know where 38 special got his unit fixed. That is a great shop.
Cassady & Self Glass
Birmingham, AL

Cassady & Self

They has also replaced the single piece windshield in my current RV for my insurance company after a breakage.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
The black sealant they use now days REALLY seals and sticks, but I would have to look at a couple of things. If you plan to keep the coach and use it frequently, I would do a thorough repair.
It's polyurethane and nothing else should ever be used to seal glass. It seems to be the only thing that sticks and lasts.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:56 PM   #12

I have the same motorhome and have noticed a lot of flexibility near the top of the windshield. If you push from the inside it will move a long way. I noticed this when I was at a repair shop getting it resealed. I don't think anything is broken, it is just designed that way. I keep thinking someday when I make some design changes to the cabinets up there I might look into stiffening it up with a halo type repair but it's a low priority because it has not caused any problems.
jckc779 is offline   Reply With Quote