Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Procedure- Opening Slides at home

When camping I use the Slides out 1st, then dump air and level method.

At home it's usually parked with slides in and jacks up in an area that is slightly low in the back and curb side. My question is what procedure to use when I want to extend and later retract the slides after it has sat for a while and the air is no longer at ride height? Starting the engine to air up means the engine only runs for a short period and will not fully warm up. Which is worst, slides out/in without ride height air or running the engine without it fully warming up?
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Good question, Bob. I know what I would do. I would never start the engine for a short time, just to bring a slide out and in, if the coach were going to be sitting afterward. The reason is very simple... a byproduct of any conventional internal combustion engine is water. Without running at full temps, the water will not evaporate. Water causes metal to rust and corrode - not something you want going on inside your engine and related parts.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 01:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Why don't you just run the engine longer. I would avoid running the slides in or out without a fully extended suspension. Monaco must have had a reason to set this procedure. I've heard it said that a windshield may crack if the suspension is down. It would seem that without suspension, a slide would tend to lean the coach over slightly without an active suspension to make a correction. Doesn't really seem likely though that that could break a windshield, but I'm not taking the chance.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:15 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Bob:

If you have a decent sized 120v compressor(preferably with an air dryer), you can air the system up from the front air coupler. The owner's manual states:

"Air System Charging (External)

The air system on the motorhome can be charged from an external air supply source. Located in the front generator compartment is a type C automotive male fitting (also used as the front tank wet side drain). Caution should be used when charging the air system from this fitting. The air supplied from an external source may contain moisture. Compressed air introduced into theair system from this fitting is not filtered by the air dryer. The auxiliary air charge fitting will charge the front and rear air tanks. A shut-off valve is installed to prevent air from escaping.

CAUTION
The external air supply source should be regulated to charge the air system on the motorhome no higher than 120 psi. Damage to the air system or pneumatically operated items may occur."

Saves running the engine, but it may be good to exercise the generator by using it to power the compressor…

Dennis

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
you can air the system up from the front air coupler.
Dennis,
I had that thought for a brief moment but decided against it when I remembered that I'm often good at solving one problem and then creating one or two others.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:07 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrocop View Post
Why don't you just run the engine longer. I would avoid running the slides in or out without a fully extended suspension. Monaco must have had a reason to set this procedure. I've heard it said that a windshield may crack if the suspension is down. It would seem that without suspension, a slide would tend to lean the coach over slightly without an active suspension to make a correction. Doesn't really seem likely though that that could break a windshield, but I'm not taking the chance.
metrocop (and Bob),

I don't think that running the engine longer will do the trick. You've got to get the RPM's up and run it under load if you want to make sure the temps get up to full operating temperature. I agree that Monaco has a reason for wanting the slides operated while the coach is at ride height, but I also agree that it has more to do with the big windwhield than anything else. Operating the slides is not going to move the coach much at all with all four wheels firmly on the ground, and holding all the weight. It's when the coach is up on jacks that that may be more of a problem, because of the pivoting effect of the single front jack (which also helps to protect the windshield).

Bottom line, unless the coach was on a relatively steep incline, I would not be too concerned about running the slides out and in with no air in the system, as long as the jacks were retracted. Although, it's not exactly what Monaco perscribes, I would much prefer to do that, than to start the engine and then let the coach sit for several days, or filling the air system with unfiltered and possibly damp air. Of course, if I were setting up in a campground, I'd do it the way Monaco says to do it.

After much thought about this whole slide movement topic, that's my opinion. Other's opinions may very, and that's all right with me.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:18 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Operating the slides is not going to move the coach much at all with all four wheels firmly on the ground, and holding all the weight.
Agree

Quote:
Bottom line, unless the coach was on a relatively steep incline, I would not be too concerned about running the slides out and in with no air in the system, as long as the jacks were retracted.
It's not and they are not.

Guess I'll do it like a dealer would when displaying on their lot. Open them without being aired up. However, I will not move it with them extended like I've seen them do.