Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland:
Roland, Diane & Katie - the furry 4-footed kid

'01 Monaco Diplomat - ISC8.3-330 Cummins - Allison MD3060 - Roadmaster chassis RR-8R - PAC brake - 50A Autoformer - Progressive Ind. Elect. Monitor System / Surge Suppressor EMS HW 50C - Trik-L-Start Battery Maintainer
Roland,

I noticed, by your signature, that you use both the Progressive HW50C and a 50A Autoformer. That prompts some questions in my curious mind...

First, do you ever need the Autoformer when plugged into 50A? I have the HW50C, and have noticed low voltage on 30A on several occasions, but never while using 50A service, that I can recall.

Secondly, I'm curious about how the 50A Autoformer works in a 30A low-voltage situation. If you encounter low voltage while using 30A service, does the 50A Autoformer boost both legs of the circuit so as to allow the HW50C to remain closed, or do you need to shut the Progressive unit off? Any problems with GFI circuits in this scenario?

Thanks,
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:33 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roland:
Roland, Diane & Katie - the furry 4-footed kid

'01 Monaco Diplomat - ISC8.3-330 Cummins - Allison MD3060 - Roadmaster chassis RR-8R - PAC brake - 50A Autoformer - Progressive Ind. Elect. Monitor System / Surge Suppressor EMS HW 50C - Trik-L-Start Battery Maintainer
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Roland,

I noticed, by your signature, that you use both the Progressive HW50C and a 50A Autoformer. That prompts some questions in my curious mind...

First, do you ever need the Autoformer when plugged into 50A? I have the HW50C, and have noticed low voltage on 30A on several occasions, but never while using 50A service, that I can recall.

Secondly, I'm curious about how the 50A Autoformer works in a 30A low-voltage situation. If you encounter low voltage while using 30A service, does the 50A Autoformer boost both legs of the circuit so as to allow the HW50C to remain closed, or do you need to shut the Progressive unit off? Any problems with GFI circuits in this scenario?

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hello Robin,

Usually I have not seen a low voltage problem in parks with 50 AMP hook-ups. On a couple of occassions I have had one leg dip below 116 VAC and cause the Autoformer to boost that leg. When I plug in I check the incoming voltage and if it shows 116 VAC or lower I put the Autoformer in the circuit path. I don't care if I am on 50 or 30 AMP service. My HW50C installation has two read-outs. One above the pantry and the other in the compartment with the transfer switch and the shore power cable. This allows me to check incoming power levels without leaving the coach, if I feel the need.

When I am on 30 AMP service, the 50 to 30 AMP adaptor takes the single 30 amp hot lead and connects it to both the 50 AMP hot lead positions(L-1 & L-2), neutral is connected to the bottom blade and ground to the top round pin of the 50 AMP receptacle. Because the two hot lines are connected together inside of the adaptor the Autoformer will see the identical low voltage on both hot leads and will boost both. Please note, the way I am set up my incoming power goes to the HW50 first - then through the Autoformer and finally to the transfer switch.

I have never had a problem with the GFI circuits in the coach and have never seen a 30 AMP GFI circuit breaker in a park power pedastal.

Hope the above helps.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Roland:
Please note, the way I am set up my incoming power goes to the HW50 first - then through the Autoformer and finally to the transfer switch. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Roland,

Thanks for the reply. I was surprised to see your comment above. I assumed you were boosting the voltage first with the Autoformer, then feeding it through the HW50. If the low voltage hit's the HW50 first, I wonder why it does not sense the low voltage and open the connection at that point, as it is designed to do.

I like the idea of having the two displays. I may add one to my coach, if I can figure out how to get the wire inside to a convenient point.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:00 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Robin,

I use the HW-50 to protect the Autoformer, as well as the coach, from voltage surges. The surge protection capability of the Autoformer is not nearly as good as the HW-50. Also the MOV's in the Autoformer are not owner replaceable -- the MOV PC board in the HW-50 can be shipped to the owner and installed by the owner. Shipping the Autoformer from Florida to Southern Cal is about $50 -- one way. When I encountered low voltage it has always been above 100 VAC. inductive loads are in trouble below 108 VAC. If the HW-50 opens the connection at 102 VAC it lets me know the park has a serious power problem. Then it becomes my choice to either change sites or leave the park. If I choose to stay I can turn off the low power setting on the HW-50 and stay.

It's your choice. I have a good friend who installed his just the opposite. He dosen't wwant to know what is going on -- he just wants it to work.

Green lights and soft breezes,