Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2016, 12:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Progressive Industries HW50C Install

After almost 10 years of fulltiming, I have decided I am done rolling the dice, and have decided to install an EMS. I am planning my PI HW50C install for this weekend. I have searched around for other threads, but haven't found what I am looking for. So, I thought I would ask.

I have an '06 Knight, with a cord reel and transfer switch in the rear compartment. I have a couple of ideas as to where to mount the EMS, but wanted to see what others have done. I have several feet of #6 cable that I will use to go from the EMS to the transfer switch (putting the EMS before the transfer switch).

In the picture below, I am looking at mounting above the transfer switch, or just below the cable splitter on the right. I believe the cable from the cord reel will be long enough for either location (it is going in to the middle position on the transfer switch), then I will make a jumper from the EMS to the transfer switch.

Any input on my mounting selections? Anyone have success/failure with mounting in either of those two places? Any tips/tricks for the install that will make my life easier?

Thanks for any input!

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 01:00 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd opt for above the transfer switch rather than below the cable box. The display on the front of the EMS will be visible in the first position (even though it'll be sideways) while on the side wall you'll almost have to put your head in the compartment to read the display.

Having to remove and installe my the PI EMS HW50 for repairs, I suggest you hook the wires into the box before mounting it on the compartment wall. Once the various wires are clamped in their spots, tighten the clamp to immobilize the cord, then mount the unit. I found it a bit easier to manipulate the stiff cables before putting it on the back wall of my electric bay.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

The Iota transfer switch has a voluntary recall and has been know to over heat and start fires. I had mine replaced on my Cayman. I recommend replacement.
jerryjoe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The Progressive Industries EMS-HW-50C comes with a remote display so I would most definitely mount the EMS in a location where the existing cable from the reel will be long enough to reach the EMS and wire it correctly. Then using your length of #6 cable, go from the output of the EMS into your transfer switch.

BTW, while you are in there, get rid of that IOTA fire trap and replace it with either an ESCO or Progressive Dynamics transfer switch.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the install tips, as well as the suggestions on the transfer switch. I was aware that people were having issues, but I was not aware they sucked to that extent. I have lived through a Norcold fire, and want to try to avoid going through all that again.

Since I am going through the install effort for the EMS, I might as well do the transfer switch at the same time. I am sure that makes sense for mounting and cable routing. I have seen a few comments on the Progressive Dynamics mention an annoying hum. Any direct preference between the PD52D and the ESCO LPT50BRD?

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:29 PM   #6

I just put one in the coach (07 Knight) and moved the cable box slightly to make room. I also put the HWC50 on the OUTPUT of the transfer switch. That way it can deal with generator problems as well as shore power issues. I used on with the built in display. It's easy enough to see. A bit of challenge getting the coach wiring over to the HWC50, but not impossible.
jrusselltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusselltx View Post
I just put one in the coach (07 Knight) and moved the cable box slightly to make room. I also put the HWC50 on the OUTPUT of the transfer switch. That way it can deal with generator problems as well as shore power issues. I used on with the built in display. It's easy enough to see. A bit of challenge getting the coach wiring over to the HWC50, but not impossible.
When I had mine installed during a reno project, I asked their electrician to install it on the Output Side of the transfer switch so it would also monitor the generator output.
He said he preferred to install on the Input Side because they had problems in the past with the transfer switch not seeing the generator and having to rewire.
So, on his recommendation, had it done on the Input Side.

I had my remote mounted inside a bathroom cabinet. I was concerned about it flashing at night but still accessible. I'm now considering moving it down to the electrical bay so I can see it when I plug in.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:05 PM   #8

Triple E Owners Club
If I was to do it again I would cut the wires a half inch longer on the sensor side. I had a bit of a hard time working with the stiff wires at the length they suggest.

Dave
Kuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post

When I had mine installed during a Reno project, I asked their electrician to install it on the Output Side of the transfer switch so it would also monitor the generator output.

He said he preferred to install on the Input Side because they had problems in the past with the transfer switch not seeing the generator and having to rewire.

I had my remote mounted inside a bathroom cabinet. I was concerned about it flashing at night but still accessible. I'm now considering moving it down to the electrical bay so I can see it when I plug in.
Dennis,

You are correct in that some owners have had problems with installing the EMS on the output side of the ATS. Progressive Industries still offers that as an option providing that it works.

I would suggest to those who want to try it, make sure you have extra cable length so that if it doesn't work correctly you can go back and re-wire it on the input side of the ATS.

I had installed my original remote display in an overhead bedroom cabinet where all of the other electrical stuff is located. i then decided that I would like another display in my service bay. I purchased their EMS Add-On Display and installed that in the service bay which now allows me to view the display when I first hookup to shore power and then switch it over to the bedroom display inside.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
When I had mine installed during a reno project, I asked their electrician to install it on the Output Side of the transfer switch so it would also monitor the generator output.

You can purchase a second monitor from Progressive along with a switch that mounts close to the main unit then you can switch to the bay monitor when hooking up and then switch to the inside monitor when hook up is accomplished. You will then have the ability to see what's happening inside if you lose power when it's cold or raining or just not convenient to go outside. I think it's less than $100 for the monitor/switch combo.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I found a HW50C unit on line for ~$200, a good deal Ebay, it was an open box special.

I mounted mine in front of the transfer switch monitoring only the shore power. Works great. I initially got just the 1 monitor that I mounted on the outside so it can be viewed when you hook up the power.

I then decided to add the 2nd monitor, another good deal $75. I mounted in the 1/2 bath so that the light won't bother anyone at night but it is accessible to view any time, specially when I'm sitting there pondering life in general.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install