RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #57

We're on our second Samsung residential fridge. We had one in our 2015 Jayco Pinnacle and now have one in our 2018 Vanleigh Vilano. They have advance somewhat in three years of being offered in RV's and we wouldn't go any other way. The one we have now, is a little more trouble free and we don't have problems or issues like we did with our 2015. A lot of the issues or concerns were with the RV, itself, but that's a story for another time. (Regfrigerator included). Personally, I think they've got the bugs our of them as the one we have now has been trouble free... Knock on Wood!

We don't boondock or dry camp so that's not an issue. I did think we'd miss the conversion from electric to propane and viceversa, but don't. When connected to shore power or 120V, you're set. When taveling and you have an "inverter" on board (and turned on), 12V is inverted to 120V and is enough to keep the residential frige operable until reconnected to shore power. Keeps my beer plenty cold!

A real plus includes more frige room, french (double doors), lower freezer compartment, and my favorite... an ice-maker. Nice for the ice and plenty of it. In fact more than we need. No need to have a portable ice maker. Only negative, I can think of... one tends to put to much in the refrigerator and freezer because its larger and more convenient.

Would do another residential, in a heartbeat, if the opportunity permited. We really enjoy it. Just remember to winterize the ice-maker. Not a big deal. Never forgot. Just don't want to forget this step, unless you don't have to winterize.

rvp986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #58

Norcold replacement suggestion

Chuck,
Have take a look at Option 1 from this site - Products | JC Refrigeration. I will be making this switch next spring.

Products | JC Refrigeration.

Pat Coleman
2000 Diplomat

cpat39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
You might check with JC refrigeration, they make a replacement unit for Norcold that uses a residential style compressor (Amiss) made. They also make gas electric replacements that are way better than oem also will com with helium that wont burn
Old 11-23-2018, 07:14 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Propane or Residential refrig

Our 07 Dynasty came from the factory with a Maytag res fridge. We now have 120,000 on it, me thinks your info is truly flawed.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #61

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin03 View Post
You might check with JC refrigeration, they make a replacement unit for Norcold that uses a residential style compressor (Amiss) made. They also make gas electric replacements that are way better than oem also will com with helium that wont burn
Thanks ! I already threw away the old Norcold unit we had.
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 07:20 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin03 View Post
Thanks ! I already threw away the old Norcold unit we had...
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:22 PM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migkiller View Post
Never ending topic I know ! Have taken out the old Norcold ( 20 yrs old ) and now ready to replace with new refrig. Wonder what people have done for choices ( propane or residential ) in replacing ? We are not big dry camping people or boondocking either. There is a 2 plug in outlet. So I take it from reading other posts the other plug in is for using if you have a inverter ? I know you need a inverter for a residential fridge which we have, It was replaced a few years ago before we bought the coach. So will have to look and see how big it is for output of a fridge. Do I need to upgrade the House batteries for a residential ?

Thanks for any input

Chuck

Iíll take the old control board please
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #64

I learned a lot from you all about residential Refrigerators. When my 10 year old Norcold goes Iím getting a residential. Thanks.
Doo Woper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #65

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lets see.. tear up motorhome trying to replace Norcold or the rebuild I think I will do the rebuild. A fellow RV'er had his 15 year old rebuilt 2 years ago and it better than new and easier to do then replace.
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:43 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51chevy65 View Post
Lets see.. tear up motorhome trying to replace Norcold or the rebuild I think I will do the rebuild. A fellow RV'er had his 15 year old rebuilt 2 years ago and it better than new and easier to do then replace.

I suppose. But you would also have to be okay with the little fridge the unit came with. Usaullay 12 ish cubic feet vice 18 to 22 for the residential replacement. That and the fact that the original propane electric uses three or four times the power of a residential. To each his own.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:49 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
The issue is the new compressor system, or even the Amish system for the old Norcold will cost more than a new Samsung fridge and you have to pay expensive freight for the rebuild system. Home Depot will deliver the Samsung free! They even took the doors off and set it inside our coach.
And when you are done, you still have a small 12CF Norcold fridge with older parts that are bound to fail (like the control board or old door latches).
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #68

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about the power use, like gas or electric option and space has never been an issue.
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 05:16 AM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Having recently help install a Samsung 19, we did not tear up the MH nor did we remove the seats...did cover them. The DW and I did a DIY installation of a 21 cuft Whirlpool through the driver’s side window without tearing up the MH. A 1200 box is not as well insulated as a EnergyStar refrigerator but a JC conversion is an easy and expensive way of repairing a 1200... starting the electric/propane debate.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:46 AM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
I removed the pass. seat and sat it aside. Disconnected the hold open arm on the entrance door so it would go to full open. Also took the handrail off so as not to hit it. Got the old Norcold out with no problem !!

Tags
propane