RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane or Residential refrig

Never ending topic I know ! Have taken out the old Norcold ( 20 yrs old ) and now ready to replace with new refrig. Wonder what people have done for choices ( propane or residential ) in replacing ? We are not big dry camping people or boondocking either. There is a 2 plug in outlet. So I take it from reading other posts the other plug in is for using if you have a inverter ? I know you need a inverter for a residential fridge which we have, It was replaced a few years ago before we bought the coach. So will have to look and see how big it is for output of a fridge. Do I need to upgrade the House batteries for a residential ?

Thanks for any input

Chuck

Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2018, 07:28 AM   #2

We have had both and love our residential. Like you we don't boondock. Ours runs fine on two 6 volt house batteries, but they are seldom used for long except while driving and then they are being charged from the engine. It is bigger, cools from being off in way less time, doesn't need/use propane, less chance of fire, etc.

sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:18 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We replaced the Norcold with a Samsung residential after the Norcold caught fire. We were very lucky to not have lost the MH.

We have four 6v deep cycle batteries and two solar panels on the roof that keep the refer running while on the road. We run out of power once in a while if we are in cloudy weather and the solar isn't as efficient. Otherwise it works very well.

We like the residential so much that we wouldn't have another coach without one.

Good luck with your quest.
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a Samsung in my coach about 5 years ago, very happy with it. If the kit discussed in this thread had been available back then, I would have seriously considered it http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/jc-r...-404053-3.html.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyCaton View Post
We replaced the Norcold with a Samsung residential after the Norcold caught fire. We were very lucky to not have lost the MH.

We have four 6v deep cycle batteries and two solar panels on the roof that keep the refer running while on the road. We run out of power once in a while if we are in cloudy weather and the solar isn't as efficient. Otherwise it works very well.

We like the residential so much that we wouldn't have another coach without one.

Good luck with your quest.
So...what type inverter do you have in the coach ? Have read you need to change to a Pure Sine Wave inverter, not sure what inverter I have installed. Where did you put the 4 6v batteries ? Thanks
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Many go with a Samsung because it works well on a 1000W MSW inverter because they have DC powered compressors but they need 6-7” of extra height.

AC powered compressors will work on a MSW inverter but if you dry camp often then the 15% greater efficiency of a PSW inverter running a motor is worth the extra expense. Some use a separate 800W PSW inverter but I went with a 1000W as I power a 21cuft refer and my Sat DVR from it.

Two batteries will power a EnergyStar refer for 30 hours before needing to be recharged. Some FHU to FHU campers do nothing power wise (no inverter or extra batteries) by limiting how long the door is open when traveling between CGs.

An inverter powering a refer draws 8-10 amps DC so even in a TT with a 12V power cord from the tow vehicle, running the house batteries down is not a issue. In most MHs the engine alternator charges the house batteries as you drive, so again, powering the refrigerator while driving is not a problem.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I will never have another 'rv' fridge
Old 11-12-2018, 08:12 AM   #8

Most of our travels are in the summer when it's hot so we have the gen running
and both A/Cs on .
Power to the frig isn't provided by the inverter then .
Inverter power is needed only occasionally when we travel and it is all handled
automatically by the transfer switch .
Occasionally we might overnight where our Samsung frig is powered all night by
the inverter with no problems .

In my opinion unless you dry camp often then a residential is the way to go .
Life is just soo much easier now .
With our Norcold there was always some little issue and then there was the
ever looming fear of fire , many fires from propane friges .
Since installing our Samsung we have not had a single issue and it has run
virtually non stop for approx. 6 yrs .

If you decide on a residential you need to measure carefully , as stated above
height is where you are most likely to have difficulty .

Look down below there is a box labeled " Similar Threads " lots of reading .

Ray
RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Our MH has the original non-sine wave inverter. The Samsung works fine with it.
RileyCaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #10

At this point I have been studding RV's for about 18 months trying to decide what to buy next March/April. The big thing I have found on refrigerators is the residential units are not really designed to operate in an earthquake. If you travel from point A to B and stay there for long periods it's most likely going to work OK. If your spending a lot of time on the road the compressor may have issues with the vibration. The things I've seen if your in a hot climate propane is not the best performer, tough decision...

I am open to all comments, have not made a decision yet.

Jim
jimc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:25 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your RR cost couple of thousand $$ I would be concerned about compressor going out, even though there are lots of RVs driving around with RRs.

In my case a 10.7 cf Whirlpool was the largest I could install (25% larger then NC), it cost under $400, if it goes out no big deal, just buy another! New NC was $2300 installed! And it runs fine on my 1500 watt MSW inverter.

First year traveled 3 months and 4000 miles, no issues.
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:04 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
18 months and about 8000 miles of pot holed, heavy truck rutted, frost heaved Mid Atlantic and New England roads with a 10 cf $350 Magic Chef residential riding on leaf springs and shocks with no problems. If it ever dies it's couple of mounting bolts, remove the doors and it's out the coach door. Maybe 15 minutes. I could go thru multiple Magic Chefs and still be under the cost of one replacement cooling unit for the Norcold.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #13

We went with the JC Refrigeration electric version several months ago. We love it . It cools quickly and does not run the batteries down. We are in FL and typicaly run on #4 setting with the Norcold we were always on 8 or 9. And that was with new heaters in the third cooling unit. Very little boondocking only overnight ocasionally. It does not require a pure sine wave. With this change only the cooling unit is exchanged and no other mods are required. 2006 Diplomat DST
AdmiralRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimc79 View Post
At this point I have been studding RV's for about 18 months trying to decide what to buy next March/April. The big thing I have found on refrigerators is the residential units are not really designed to operate in an earthquake. If you travel from point A to B and stay there for long periods it's most likely going to work OK. If your spending a lot of time on the road the compressor may have issues with the vibration. The things I've seen if your in a hot climate propane is not the best performer, tough decision...

I am open to all comments, have not made a decision yet.

Jim
The earthquake theory is interesting .
I don't believe I have ever read of that concern before .
I haven't even heard of anyone having a compressor failure before ,
probably has been one somewhere though .
Do you know of one you can point to ?
As I said before residential is my choice , 6 yrs not a problem .

Ray

RamiDav is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane