Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #1

Propane Regulator Install

I'm trying to decide if this will be an easy install or not. I've been searching for some detailed instructions on here but just can't find any. Anyone have a link? or a U-Tube?

The reason I am changing it is because the manometer shows only 9.05 inches water column from the valve attachment behind the fridge; fridge was not cooling on LP; also, cooking burners don't have a solid blue flame. cleaned burner assembly etc. After talking with a supplier for the regulator, he would not discuss the specifics of taking old one off and putting new one on. Looks pretty simple to me.

Should I do this myself or should I pay someone to do it?
thanks for everyone's help!
BikerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2012, 06:41 AM   #2

An easy fix but some propane shops will do the work for a very small fee. You would need the correct wrenches and some Propane approved pipe dope as well as some soapy water for checking leaks. Make sure you have shut off the gas at the tank. Technically we are not supposed to fool with anything propane unless you are licensed. I prefer the pipe dope that has teflon in the formula. I am sure if you post a photo of the area where it is located someone will give you specific advice.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #3

BikerGril, you can do it. Once you get the replacement regulator be sure the hose connection locations are in about the same place and orentation. Also check any mounting hole locations to insure it will mount the same way. If that is a go, turn off the gas at the tank valve, go inside and turn on the stove for a few seconds to bleed off the gas in the lines. With that done using a box end or liine wrench remove the line from the tank valve to the regulator, then remove the out line to the rig. After you have removed the inlet and outlet hoses then remove any mounting bolts and remove the regulator. Install the new regulator. Using and old tooth brush or brass brush remove any old tape or compond from the tread area of the inlet and outlet hoses. Apply a thin coat of propane approved pipe "dope" it will be in the gas/plumbing section of the big box stores. It will look like a small tube of tooth paste (the tube is usally yellow, the white tube is usally for water/air lines. Just ask the dept guy, he can help you find it. Back to the project. Besure you do not get any of the pipe dope in the end of the fittings, just on the threads. Ok now screw the fittings into the regulator and snug them up good with a wrench. Now "slowly crack" the valve open a little to charge the system. After about 10 seconds open the valve all the way. Using a spray bottle with a cup of water and 2 or 3 drops of liquid dish soap mixed, spray some on the fittings. If it is leaking you will see bubbles forming. Keep in mind that you will have a little sudsing, but you will be looking for actual bubbles forming. If you have a leak, snug the fitting with the wrench a little more and repeat until no leaking. Also you will need to go in and light the stove to bleed any remaining air from the lines. It may take a few seconds for the gas to get to the stove before it will light. Once all this is done, kick back with a cool beverage of your choice and relax and think about all the money you saved. Hope this helps you out.

George

Tags
install, propane