Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 08:44 PM   #1

Puck Lites in 07 HR IMP

I know that the halogen bulbs are replacable IF one can open them up. That is my dilemma. I have been able to remove them out of the cabinet,but am not able to twist or pry them open. Is there a technique or trick to open them? These are somewhat diferent than most I have seen in that they appear to be a unit in a unit. They have an outer silver ring which is spring loaded to retain it in the opening and a gold inner part that has the lense and halogen bulb. This is in a HR Imperial "'07. So far I have lost 4 of them so I'm shure there will be more.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2015, 08:50 PM   #2

From what you describe I have had the same fixture in both the RVs I've owned for the past many years. I've had to replace one bulb in each, and found that by just turning the gold ring about 90 degrees I was able to remove the ring and lens to access and replace the bulb.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:16 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Or you could replace the fixtures with LED lights, About $7 each on Amazon.
I just replaced all my fluorescent ceiling lights with a homemade LED fixture consisting of 3 LED puck lights mounted on a wooden base, shaped and stained to match the coach cabinets. These require a 2 1/8" hole and are only about 3/4" deep. I will eventually replace the remaining halogen puck lights with these fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	88003  
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:43 AM   #4

Thank you guys for the replies. my problem is I havent been able to turn the gold ring. I can't get a grip on it. Hopefully someone has a method to grip it and turn it. As an alturnitive I may have to replace them. I am going to use LED bulbs.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We never use our pucks because they heat up the entire coach, not to mention are a burn-hazard for clumsy people like me.

Any chance you might remember the part number for those LED lights, Bill? I found a zillion different kind and they all look similar. BTW, the picture of yours is terrific.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:22 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhooker View Post
Thank you guys for the replies. my problem is I havent been able to turn the gold ring. I can't get a grip on it. Hopefully someone has a method to grip it and turn it. As an alturnitive I may have to replace them. I am going to use LED bulbs.
I found it easier to remove the lens by placing the palm of my hand flat on the fixture and twisting (counter clockwise if I remember correctly) 90*. After removing 2 or 3 the process becomes easier Hope this helps.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:06 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same lights your are describing. I replaced the bulbs on all of them with LED. I didn't know how to open them either but found on this forum how to. As I recall the glass lens does pop out with the aid of a small screwdriver and the rest of the unit remains in the cupboard. The all glass lens that are in the ceiling are the ones that you turn with your palm to unscrew. Hope this helps! Randy
Old 03-11-2015, 04:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
We never use our pucks because they heat up the entire coach, not to mention are a burn-hazard for clumsy people like me.

Any chance you might remember the part number for those LED lights, Bill? I found a zillion different kind and they all look similar. BTW, the picture of yours is terrific.
I used Dream Lighting LED Recessed Ceiling Light 3.5W Silver Pack of 10 from Amazon, warm white. There about $7 each and good color.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 09:58 PM   #9

Maybe my lights are a little different, I tried the suggestions but they didn't work . So today I decided to poke and pry and found the proper way to remove the cover. On the tri-color puck lites that I and other higher end HR and other Monaco family products have, all that is needed is a very thin blade to wedge between the inner third ring and the second ring and pry. the third ring and glass will pop out and you have access to the bulb. I went ahead and changed mine to LEDS. What a difference.Careful on re-assembly the open areas on each side must be aligned to clear the two screws in the second ring which is actually the brass fixture housing.
George
07 HR Imp. PDQ 43'