Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2021, 05:07 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Pull strap on door......

I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler AMBASSADOR 38' The door awning does not have a pull down strap. I intend to install one. Can someone tell me how long it should be? A regular awning strap is too short. Can someone enlighten me?

Louise
ayotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2021, 10:00 PM   #2

What I've done for both my RVs is buy some 1/8" nylon cord from Home Depot or any other hardware store.

Then I loop it so there's two lengths of around 6 feet, and tie the two loose ends on the awning pull down loop that comes with most awnings. I've owned both A&E and Colorado 18 foot awnings and they both had pull straps that were way too short.

So once both ends of the nylon cord are tied in place on the loop, then near the cord end you tie several knots every 6" or so. Those are to hook a small bungee cord in so that strap can be hooked into the awning mount so it won't blow all over as you're driving.

It's dark now so I can't get a picture but I'll do that tomorrow and post it.

Just checked out a picture of your model and I think a nylon cord would do the trick for you. You do need to find a place to hook the bungee when you're driving but that shouldn't be too difficult.

(FYI, HR didn't make a '04 Ambassador, they did in '03 though. According to their website...at this link: HR Brochures).

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:24 PM   #3

Buy one that too long and will slide in ,cut and sew loop back in.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
On my 2000 Diplomat it was 36"
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Interesting, Jim_HiTek. All my literature, title, registration says this is an '04. Thank you for your idea for the door awning pull.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
153stars, I thought of that but couldn't figure out how to get it back out and didn't think hand sewing would do the job. Thank you for your idea.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Bingo, BobJones! I had 2 left, put one on and determined how much too short it was, took the other one and made it the correct length, ran it in through the hole I had drilled and cut the first one off. It is perfect!!
Old 03-26-2021, 09:17 AM   #8

Here's some pics of what I'm talking about...of course you adjust your installation to match your equipment. The strap I've added can hang loose but occasionally, road wind will whip it up on top of the roof making it hard to retrieve, that's why the small bungee.

And then...

And all strapped in ready for travel...

Can't see them in these pictures but there are multiple knots near the end of the cord so I have several choices of where to hook the bungee. This setup is several years old now and looks a bit tired...time to buy a new bungee and replace the cord with new I guess.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #9

Dirty fast way .You have to drill and cut the slot in cap. Many awnings have it already. You could make a short loop to length tie loosely to other loop , kind of like a chain. Or just tie loop with parachute cord.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post
153stars, I thought of that but couldn't figure out how to get it back out and didn't think hand sewing would do the job. Thank you for your idea.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayotte View Post
I have a 2004 Holiday Rambler AMBASSADOR 38' The door awning does not have a pull down strap. I intend to install one. Can someone tell me how long it should be? A regular awning strap is too short. Can someone enlighten me?

Louise
Been to this Dog & Pony show before.

I bought one strap too short and then one too long

I then bought a product similar this

https://www.amazon.com/GEAR-Tenaciou.../dp/B0864K3KX2

and then tested it on a extra piece of the strap I had clamped tight overnight and worked fine.

So then I cut the long strap to the proper length used a small lighter on the terminated end singing it to avoid fraying, then used the tape to secure the loop at the end and it has held up fine so far

Lots of other ways to secure the loop also once the strap is cut to length, such as gorilla glue or even use a very small awl heat it and poke a couple of holes in the strap and use a small tie wrap ( heating the awl will make punching the holes easier and the strap wont fray)

Cut strap to proper length add 2in for the loop and take to the local seamstress or your DW and sew it together.

Happy Trails
Old 03-28-2021, 12:24 PM   #11

A strap I stumbled across online had many multiple loops you cut off excess. I bought a bunch of hopefully the proper length straps only to find the tiny bit too thick to slide in the channel .
Old 03-28-2021, 09:14 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I think you guys are overthinking things. We replaced the pull straps on window awnings as well as the straps on the big One Touch patio awning of our 2001 Diplomat. Just bought strapping at our local Hardware store and wife sewed loops on the end as well as the rod that went in the awning roller tracks. To hold the end open to insert pull rod cut old inner tube up and put in this end. Can buy the strapping online at Amazon or from marine store. Good luck, Don
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door