Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2022, 03:16 PM   #1

Pulsating Water Pump

Greetings and Happy 4th!

I have a variable speed 55AQUAJET-ARV 5.3 GPM water pump.

I have had this pulsating problem (see video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PCj...ew?usp=sharing) for some time now.

I used to have an accumulator in the coach and I followed the advice from someone and increased the pressure to 30 psi (I believe). It seemed to help for a while, but it when back to pulsating.

A friend of mine suggested that I remove the tank althogether since the variable speed pump should be able to provide adequate and consistent pressure. Well, as you can see by the video, I still have pulsating.

It is interesting to note that when I open both faucets, the pulsating goes away. It's only when just one of the faucets is open that the pulsating occurs.

Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2022, 04:56 PM   #2

There are no 'adjustments' on the AQUAJET 5500 Series
The AQUAJET pumps have a computer driven controller. So when the pressure goes below the start set point 40-42PSI the pump comes on line and provides what is demanded of it at around 50PSI.
This controlled by the computer sending a signal byway of PWM (pulse with modulation) that controls the speed of the motor say 800RPM.
More demand...controller adjust motor speed/more demand--more speed

Low demand....pulsation....controller

Remco
763/253-4740
Inquire IF there is a fix or if really an issue other then hearing it pulsate

**Clean all faucet aerators so flow isn't restricted
Same for any in-line filters water flows thru from pump
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 07:07 PM   #3

Thanks Old Biscuit. It happens at all the faucets, so I know it's not at the faucet level. And I tried another pump (same model) and got the same result. I tried to find a place for filters, but couldn't find it. I'll look again though.

So the accumulator tank is not needed, right? Its absence being the problem can be ruled out at this point you think?
Old 07-03-2022, 09:16 PM   #4

I've read that the tank helped when owners put it back . They did like you and tried it both ways. Was it better or worse with the tank.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 09:41 PM   #5

Hi 153stars, I think my tank had a bad bladder. It would never hold the pressure for very long. And when I took it out a bunch of black stuff came out of it.

But for the time that it did hold pressure (at the end it wasn't holding any at all, that I could tell), it did seem to fix the problem.

I think you might be right and that I will need to go back to using a tank. I'll check for clogged filters, but I did that already and didn't see anything.

I guess the next question is which tank I need. I wish I had taken a pic of the model I took out. Of course I wouldn't do that.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:56 AM   #6

Theoretically, you don't need an accumulator tank, in the real world, it will help.
They make special ones for RVs out of plastic but I bought a 2-gal tank at Lowes and plumbed it into my water system. It's not perfect but it's much much better.

Ray & Marilyn
03 Windsor
RamiDav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
From what I have received from Remco, they say the pump is not designed to be run with the accumulator tank, and they tried telling that to Monaco for years. On mine, with the tank in, it would run very slowly for several minutes after shutting faucet off till all the expansion in the tank was absorbed. Yes it did not run for a while after turning the faucet back on. So you give one to get one it appears.

On the pulsating issue, they said below 1.2 GPM, the pump will pulsate on and off. They said people have gotten around this by removing the screens and stuff at the faucet. I did not do that. We use our pump about half the time and just deal with it. I did remove the accumulator tank, so when water quits, pump also winds down and quits. A slow flow will make the pump go on and off and repeat, but I guess that's the way it is. This information came from Trevor at Remco.

The directions for the accumulator tank suggest the air pressure be 3 lbs below the start up pressure of the pump I believe. One of my original questions for Remco was what pressure is that. With it being computer controlled and variable speed, that is not appropriate to this pump I guess.

Hope this may help, Happy Trails Bert
Old 07-12-2022, 09:43 AM   #8

Hey All,

Just a quick update. I ended up buying and installing this tank: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005E83YW4...roduct_details

It fixed the pulsating issue! For whatever reason, my variable speed pump needs it. The unit came with 40 psi in it. I took it down closer to 20psi.

Thanks for you feedback and help!
Old 07-12-2022, 11:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Great job! Thanks for sharing. Were the fittings the same size as the original tank?
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 01:13 PM   #10

Thanks Vito! Yes, they were the same. I had to tighten it quite a bit to get it to stop leaking. I have a tendency to overtighten things, so I preferred having a little bit of a shower than find myself with yet another problem.

This concludes a long 4 years of me trying to figure out what the heck was going on. I replaced the pump, changed out a multiplexer (I think that's what it's called), took the old accumulator tank out, tried it with no tank... Good grief, I think I'll only use city water to fill the tank and use the pump all the time now just so I can make up for some lost water pump time. lol

The thing that really threw me was there is apparently a computer in the pump that knows when something isn't right with the pressure and eventually shuts itself off. I can't tell you the number of times I had to pull the fuse to get the pump to start working again. That just caused me to think I had an electric problem, or a pump problem. Hopefully this post helps others get to the bottom of this particular issue.

One last thing that should have been a red flag... I read that the tank can lose pressure, so I pumped it back up. Except that water would come out of the valve where you add air. That means there is a burst bladder. When I took my tank off, a ton of black junk came out (and all over me). I didn't yet know that I needed a new tank (some on IRV2 were suggesting that I didn't). But now I know I do and it all makes sense. Well, there's at least one thing in life that makes sense.

Tags
pump, water, water pump