RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 PM   #1

Purchase advice/comments re 2003 Signature

Contemplating an offer on an 03 Signature Baroness 40TS. Looking for any words of encouragement/discouragement, posssible gremlins, etc.

Thanks
David

Oldgrayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2015, 09:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Should be a great coach if it was maintained.
Just my opinion but one of the best coaches at the time.
Maybe still....

TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 04:57 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a very good friend with a 2003 42 ft with an ISM. They are wonderful coaches either with an ISM or Detroit. A few nuances and like anything else that complex will have things that go wrong occasionally. The calipers are a little fussy about the type of grease and the electronics (TV, Surround Sound, satellite etc) hopefully have been upgraded from the original. Other than that it is all about maintenance, tires, floorplan.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgrayrider View Post
Contemplating an offer on an 03 Signature Baroness 40TS. Looking for any words of encouragement/discouragement, posssible gremlins, etc.

Thanks

David

David,

My wife and I have lived full time in exactly that coach for 8 years now. It's truly a wonderful coach. After 12 birthdays it's all about the maintenance it has received. If records are available go over them closely. Pull samples of the engine oil and transmission fluid & send for analysis. I would use either JG Lube Services or Blackstone. JG is best for the transmission. It's owned by Tom Johnson who authored a thread here on the Allison forum. He will personally advise you about transmission issues based on the testing. http://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html

The TVs are dated unless they have been changed. The slide topper fabric will be toast unless they have been changed. Call Chris at Stone Vos for new fabric. Chris is a Monaco owner and takes good care of us. His toppers are bullet proof. http://stonevos.com/

If you go forward, be aware that unless the previous owner has kept up with all the maintenance you could be looking at $5k over the next couple of years to bring the service up to date. More if you include tires. You don't know the tire history so if they are over 7 years old view them as immediate replacement items.

Here is a schedule of possible maintenance points on this or any diesel coach:

Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:

Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
1. Oil/filter
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.

Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.

Chassis:
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.

Generator:
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.

AquaHot:
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.

Inspect and clean all battery terminals.

Good luck & let us know how it works out.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Checklist

Steve:
That is one of the best maintenance checklists I have seen for these coaches. Well done.

I hope you and Sharon (I hope I got that right, it's been three years) are doing well and still enjoying Florida.

Regards

Murray
Old 05-18-2015, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackman View Post
Steve:
That is one of the best maintenance checklists I have seen for these coaches. Well done.

I hope you and Sharon (I hope I got that right, it's been three years) are doing well and still enjoying Florida.

Regards

Murray

Hey Murray,

Good to hear from you. Glad to see you still have your Dip. You were thinking about flooring when we met you guys. Did you even go forward with that project? Florida is hard not to like in the winter months but last year we rented our lot & took a trip to Texas. Had a great time.

Safe travels

Steve

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Hey Murray,

Good to hear from you. Glad to see you still have your Dip. You were thinking about flooring when we met you guys. Did you even go forward with that project? Florida is hard not to like in the winter months but last year we rented our lot & took a trip to Texas. Had a great time.

Safe travels

Steve

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve:

I sent you an e mail

Tags
advice, purchase