Originally Posted by Oldgrayrider
Contemplating an offer on an 03 Signature Baroness 40TS. Looking for any words of encouragement/discouragement, posssible gremlins, etc.
My wife and I have lived full time in exactly that coach for 8 years now. It's truly a wonderful coach. After 12 birthdays it's all about the maintenance it has received. If records are available go over them closely. Pull samples of the engine oil and transmission fluid & send for analysis. I would use either JG Lube Services or Blackstone. JG is best for the transmission. It's owned by Tom Johnson who authored a thread here on the Allison forum. He will personally advise you about transmission issues based on the testing. http://www.jglubricantservices.com/online_store.html
The TVs are dated unless they have been changed. The slide topper fabric will be toast unless they have been changed. Call Chris at Stone Vos for new fabric. Chris is a Monaco owner and takes good care of us. His toppers are bullet proof. http://stonevos.com/
If you go forward, be aware that unless the previous owner has kept up with all the maintenance you could be looking at $5k over the next couple of years to bring the service up to date. More if you include tires. You don't know the tire history so if they are over 7 years old view them as immediate replacement items.
Here is a schedule of possible maintenance points on this or any diesel coach:
Complete base line service for Cummins diesel motorhome:
Engine: filters to be Fleetguard
2. Fuel filters (2)
3. Coolant filter if equipped and test/ adjust SCA level if standard coolant. Change coolant @ 5 years. Add extender at 3 years if OAT type coolant.
4. Air filter if over 3 years old. Inspect plumbing between filter and turbo inlet for evidence of dust. Inspect CAC plumbing.
5. Inspect hoses & belts.
Transmission: filters to be Allison high capacity.
1. Change filters @ 36 months & top up.
2. Change fluid @ 48 months or test sample.
Always use TES295 fluid as approved by Allison.
1. Complete lube including lifting front axle from ends to unload king pins.
2. Including 3 zerks on steering column and one zerk on steering box.
3. Change Hydraulic filter & top up.
4. Change air dryer cartridge @ 2-3 years.
5. Grease front wheel bearings 3-5 years or change to oil hubs & inspect.
6. Change differential gear oil @ 3-5 years.
7. Inspect brake surfaces.
8. Inspect oil level tag axle hubs.
9. Inspect both chassis & house batteries. Make sure all connections are clean & tight. If flooded lead acid, check & top up with distilled water monthly.
1. Oil/ filter
2. Fuel filter
3. Air filter
4. Perform valve lash, belt/ hose replacement and generator unit service before 2000 hours. Replace thermostat and coolant @ that time.
1. Replace fuel filter
2. Replace burner nozzle
3. Exercise tempering valve.
4. Inspect coolant level at top of AquaHot unit and at expansion tank.
Inspect and clean all battery terminals.
Good luck & let us know how it works out.
Full time since '07