Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 PM   #1

Purchasing 2006 Holiday Rambler Scepter

We're looking at purchasing a 2006 Holiday Rambler scepter tag axle RV with approximately 60,000 miles. The coach appears to be in very nice condition. Batteries were replaced less than one year ago and the tires still have about three years remaining on them. They are yokohama's. The coach has a 400 Cummins is L motor I believe. All the slides appear to be in working order and the hydro hot is functioning as required. There appears to be no water leaks nor has there been any water leaks in the past that I can see. The roof is solid.
There does not appear to be any paint checking at this time. The transition area from the outside walls up to the roof does have some of the clear coat coming off but that appears to be normal for this age of coach. None of the windows are fogged what else should I be looking at??
Thank you in advance. Cary
Navionflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 09:03 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Since it seem's this isn't your first coach, seems like you have everything covered.
There is a sticky thread at the start of the 'Cummins forum', that shows engine serial numbers, that may have issues!

Good luck with the new coach !!
Old 01-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Sounds like a great coach but even with 60,000mi I would check the S/N on the motor just to see where it falls in the bad wrist pin problem of the 400 Cummins.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl-...ge-180891.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Carey! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I'm not familiar with that rig so can't give advice. Just noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
These are great coaches. Check the material on the slide out covers to see if it's worn. Check the Norcold refrigerator. If it hasn't already been replaced it will need replacing soon. Most install a residential Samsung RF18.
Check the slide out floors on the outside underneath with the slides out for water damage.
Check the air conditioners. They are coming up on needing replacement.
Of course check tire dates and battery dates.
Have oil samples run for the engine, trans, and rear axle.
If it has air leveling check it carefully for air leaks.
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:02 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Look at

Whether you really really love the layout. This is a must for a happy life and a happy navigator

Cheers

DJ & BJ
Old 01-26-2019, 05:23 AM   #7

I want to thank you all for your comments up to this point.
I have been delayed in pursuing this coach., but hope to move forward soon.
I plan to get the serial number of the motor today and we'll go to the comment section and figure it out.
Navionflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:09 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A 2006 HR Scepter and Monaco Dynasty are much the same...made on the same assembly line. Vitio’s check list is good although it’s the thread on the slide toppers that wears out. There is enough unused material on 3 of the 4 slides to cut off old and re-sew. Recent thread on buying a 2007 Diplomat with more info on the 06 ISL wrist pin issue so definitely check # and make sure it’s not one.

That vintage Monaco’s and HR’s are some of the best built and handling rigs ever made...the reason I replaced with another RR10S Roadmaster chassis.
PS: my Dynasty is still in the family...my son bought it.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
+1 what most have said, I had just had someone put the talin plates on mine and the installer said everyone still is trying to find the predef RR8 chassis combinations bc they just work,, and usually all other house side hardware can be easily repaired/replaced.
Old 01-27-2019, 07:26 PM   #10

we have an 06 scepter 42 dsq and it is awesome. did research for over a year and fell in love with the build and amenities. Outside a few Monaco issues it is a great bang for the buck. Jimmy is right. For the most part everything can still be worked worth and there are many persons that can help.

The installer )
ricrhino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
holiday rambler