Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #1

Purple wire to Trombetta

Hello all. My chassis batteries are not charging. Is there a inline fuse on the purple wire that runs to the trombetta? I have 13.7 volts in the front compartment on the purple wire but at the trombetta there is 0v.. The trombetta works. I disconnected the purple wire and jumped the trombetta from the house batteries. It clicked and got 13.7 v on the chassis side. Am I missing something?
rdvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Trace the purple wire back from the relay ...there should be a control board with house and engine battery voltage inputs. The BIRD on both of my rigs has fuses on it. Would help if you filled in your Sig with 06 Diplomat.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. The only fuse is in the front compartment. It is good. I ran a jumper wire to test the purple wire continuity. There was none. So I hooked the jumper wire to the bird in the front compartment then hooked it up to the trombetta. Turned power back on to the rig and the system works. So I believe I have a broken wire. If there is no other fuse.

Sorry I have the isl 400 3000 mh. 3 slides have had for 7 yrs. Do most of my own work. This is something that just came up. Once again thank you 🍻
Old 03-03-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My neighbor had a 06 Dip but sold it a few years ago. I just texted him and he doesn't think his coach had a BIRD.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
YC1

There is a "disable relay" that opens the circuit if the alternator is putting out power and the generator/converter is supplying power as well. It keeps the battery banks separated if both charging sources are available.

Take a picture of your front run panel so I can be sure you have the same system.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/do-...-153008-2.html

Post 28
Front Distribution.pdf

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
My neighbor had a 06 Dip but sold it a few years ago. I just texted him and he doesn't think his coach had a BIRD.
The 2006 Diplomat has the Isolation Relay Delay (IRD) and not the Bidirectional Isolation Relay Delay (BIRD). That is why without an aftermarket device your chassis batteries do not charge when you are connected to shore power or run the generator.

RDVD you are in good hands with YC1 so keep conversing with him. He made his living troubleshooting DC systems on 12 volt vehicles.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
The 2006 Diplomat has the Isolation Relay Delay (IRD) and not the Bidirectional Isolation Relay Delay (BIRD). That is why without an aftermarket device your chassis batteries do not charge when you are connected to shore power or run the generator.

RDVD you are in good hands with YC1 so keep conversing with him. He made his living troubleshooting DC systems on 12 volt vehicles.

Bob
Exactly. But it was mentioned that he has a BIRD. I don't think he does and you confirmed that. I re-read the OP first post and it wasn't clear when his chassis batteries are not charging. If he's talking about them not charging on shore power, then what he is experiencing is normal for a non BIRD coach (assuming he doesn't have an aftermarket ECHO or similar charger) If he's saying the chassis batteries are not charging with the main engine running, then he has a problem.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
YC1

I was too lazy to drill down and find his yr and model.

As suggested a few pictures would give us a lot of information. No telling what modifications may have been done so can spend a ton of time speculating.

Knowing how long the op has owned the RV would help as well as if it has ever worked, and not guessing IF it worked. Knowing by virtue of a voltmeter in the right places.

Old 03-05-2020, 10:07 PM   #9

Thanks for all the help. Sorry for getting back so late. But life. So my manual says that when on shore or gen my chassis batteries should charge. But I’m not sure if I have a BIRD or IRD ? Hopefully the pics show up...

Once again I do need all the help.

THANK YOU
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	306.5 KB
ID:	277111   Click image for larger version

Name:	7804870A-6539-472B-9AEF-E9E97E75BAF7.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	277112  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5AF3C29C-D8B4-48EA-8DBD-D8954B3DE584.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	277113  
Old 03-06-2020, 07:01 AM   #10
YC1

I believe Bob nailed it as an IRD.

If you want to add a device to change that there are many choices, or you can do it simply by applying power to the purple wire.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:27 AM   #11

Good morning

When the bus is plugged in to shore the purple wire in the front has 13.7v to ground. In the back there is no power on the purple wire on the trombetta. Shouldn’t there be continuity between the to eyelets ? Or is that not the same wire?

It is charging when running. Could I have a broken wire? Only see the one fuse in the front compartment. Is there another one somewhere else?

Thanks for staying with me on this.
Old 03-06-2020, 12:59 PM   #12
YC1

Dig into the purple wire up front as far away from where it is connected. A plastic thumb tack works or I use my pen knife to just knick into the insulation. The object is to take a reading away from the connection to bypass the connector. Might look good but could be bad.

If you have voltage there, do the same trick in the battery compartment.

The purple wire could be compromised anywhere along the way and they are really hard to follow without a signal tracer. Sometimes you have to run a new wire. There could be a fuse hidden so be sure to be kind of aggressive following it out.

Old 03-07-2020, 07:13 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdvd View Post
Good morning

When the bus is plugged in to shore the purple wire in the front has 13.7v to ground. In the back there is no power on the purple wire on the trombetta. Shouldn’t there be continuity between the to eyelets ? Or is that not the same wire?

It is charging when running. Could I have a broken wire? Only see the one fuse in the front compartment. Is there another one somewhere else?

Thanks for staying with me on this.
First make sure you are on the correct purple wire. On our coach there is a prominent purple wire that is connected to the house disconnect relay in the front run bay (aka Salesman switch). That is not the purple wire that runs to the battery compartment and connects to one side of the boost solenoid. The boost solenoid is used to connect the house and chassis battery banks together for either an emergency boost to crank the engine or after the chassis batteries are charged the IDR module will connect the banks together. An easy way to test the continuity of the purple wire in question is to have someone hold down the boost switch or weight it down and go back to the battery compartment and measure the voltage between ground and the purple wire at the solenoid.

Go to page 8 of the wiring diagram I have attached. Locate the Intellitec Isolation Relay Delay module in the upper left area. The red wire from that module connects to an 87A type relay. Contact 87A of that relay goes to the center pin on the lower portion of connector C411 (Floor) and that is the purple wire you are looking for. That purple wire can be energized by either the 87A relay when the IRD module is active or by the boost switch on the console to the left of the driver. If you do not get power to the purple wire at the boost solenoid when the boost switch is pushed then the wire must have a break somewhere. Finding and repairing that break will be a feat you do not want to undertake. Just find a spare wire in the bundle that runs from the front run bay to the battery compartment and use it. There are usually options that have not been installed but the wires are there.

Bob
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2006 Diplomat wiring diagrams email.pdf (1.92 MB, 31 views)
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #14

Thanks Nodine for the drawing. And yes when I ran that new line it bypassed my sales man switch. I’ll dig into it more later. I have to help daughter move today.

Thanks for all the help. I’ll let you know what I find.