Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Put in an offer on 2000 Diplomat 40D

I am new to RV-ing. Looking for some advice.

Any RV inspection suggestions in the Cincinnati area?

We are looking at a 2000 Diplomat 40ft dual slide.

It has the Cummins 315 and Allison.

103K miles, 900hrs on the Onan 7.5Kw

The exterior isn't in pristine shape. There is some corrosion on the floor sub frames underneath, however it appears to be more superficial than anything else, paint flaking, not metal/rust flaking. I'm assuming this isn't serious but will have it inspected. Bottom of propane tank is rust colored, but again not pitted or flaking metal

Known Issues:

1.) Dash blower motor only works on high (Blower motor resistor)
2.) Dash AC doesn't blow cold (Litany of items to check, will be inspected)
3.) Unknown maintenance history for last 3 years as owner performed oil changes
4.) Passenger side windshield cracked and needs replaced and is sometime pulled from cab
5.) Driver side windshield looks like it pulls from cab at certain angles as well
6.) Steering had a little bit of creak/groan type noise near full lock. I'm thinking this could be a chassis lube issue, but hopefully will be covered at inspection.
7.) Starter batteries need to be replaced
8.) House power cord looks to have come a little separated from the strain relief - is this a big deal and/or expensive to replace? No exposed copper, just can see the internal wires.
9.) Nothing has probably been done to the roof in the last 3 years, so what needs to be done, no evidence of any leaks however.

Known upgrades:
1.) In motion sat
2.) New House batteries
3.) New-ish Goodyear (I could swear they had RSA on them) tires - how can I tell how old they are?
4.) Newly installed flooring, done very well by current owner

Current Plan of attack

1.) Take to a Cummins / Allison shop to look over the engine/trans/gen set and chassis.
2.) Take to a RV dealer to do a system inspection

Would love people's thoughts on plans of attack.

Price seems right even with some of these issues, and we can upgrade/fix the exterior and other elements if we are sure there aren't other huge issues.

Thanks in advance!
steined is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Sounds like you have a good plan already. You can find the year your tires were made on the sidewalls.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Depending on how the tires were installed there should be a DOT code on the sidewall, first 2 digits is the year and second two digits are the week of manufacture. The windshield issue is fairly common onmonaco coaches and it is caused when the owner levels the unit improperly and twists the frame. There have also been some reports of the front cap not fully secured to the front frame structure. Onan with 700 hrs is nothing just broken in, mine has 2000 hrs and just normal fuel filter air filter and oil filter. Is the engine a ISB or a ISC? Allison trans check oil for burnt smell, and correct color. Also check radiator and CAC some 2000 Monaco had aluminum radiators with internal trans coolers that we're prone to fail. Also chech cleanliness of radiator from the inside looking out, if it's not clean it will overheat.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Depending on how the tires were installed there should be a DOT code on the sidewall, first 2 digits is the year and second two digits are the week of manufacture. The windshield issue is fairly common onmonaco coaches and it is caused when the owner levels the unit improperly and twists the frame. There have also been some reports of the front cap not fully secured to the front frame structure. Onan with 700 hrs is nothing just broken in, mine has 2000 hrs and just normal fuel filter air filter and oil filter. Is the engine a ISB or a ISC? Allison trans check oil for burnt smell, and correct color. Also check radiator and CAC some 2000 Monaco had aluminum radiators with internal trans coolers that we're prone to fail. Also chech cleanliness of radiator from the inside looking out, if it's not clean it will overheat.

Thanks for your reply.

The engine is a 315HP ISC.

Will make sure these items are addressed on inspection! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
1 I think you got the fix for the fan motor
2 this could be expensive or may just be low 134A, I would try to recharge and see if ok, there is a thread on instructions for dash AC on this forum if you are a doityoursel guy.
3 this is a bigie, engine and gen oil and filter change, engine 2 fuel filter and gen fuel filter chg, Allison fluid and filter change, coach air dryer filter change, engine air intake filter change and all hoses check, engine and AC belts change (keep the old ones for spare) chassis grease including the drive shaft and grease the drive shaft at least every 10,000, coolant in engine and gen changed , gen air filter change. If you do it yourself you are looking at over $1000 just for filters and fluids.
4 & 5 this does happened to Monaco coaches and mostly brought on by not using the proper leveling procedure.
6 that is normal on the lock to lock on the steering
7 well SAMs Club has the best price in our area.
8 generally not a problem as long as it's not pulled loose in the plug.
9 the roof is a aluminum roof and a real good design, I personally like it better than the Fiberglas, just clean it and check all the seams and reseal.
You already got info on how to check the age of the tires but if they need replacing it could be another $3000.
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The Gen is near the 1000 hour checkup. You should be looking at under $40000 a bit, if tires are needed -$3000 and start batteries will run over $200.

LEN
Old 05-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Check the exhaust manifold for aNY cracks. Pretty common on cummins.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by avfordguy View Post
Just asking but I thought the 1st 2 #'s are the week, and the 2nd 2 are the year?
Also, to the OP, what are they asking for the coach and what are you offering?
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
Just asking but I thought the 1st 2 #'s are the week, and the 2nd 2 are the year?
Also, to the OP, what are they asking for the coach and what are you offering?
Asking 29K, I offered 29K with allowance for house batteries, cab AC, windshield, and any other major (Over $500) non maintenance items found to be an issue. So part of the inspection will be a price to repair these and either the seller will pay to fix or I'll pay to fix and he'll reduce price.

I test drove it and it seemed pretty solid other than the windshield and creaking/groaning at full lock on the steering. Brakes are touchy but it was my first time piloting anything larger than an F150 SCREW 6.5' bed!
Old 05-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Just from my somewhat limited exp, that isn't a bad price.

I do believe I was right about the tire date codes.
The first 2 numbers are the week they were made and the second two numbers are the year.
I had new Toyo put on last year. DOT 0114.
I don't think they were made 14th week of 01.
I think they were made the first week of 14.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 PM   #11

The windshield on my 99 HR Endeavor cost $1600 pluse for each side. Be forewarned. And, if you do one side, the tinting may not match the original glass not replaced.

Also, if you have an exposed crankcase vent tube, it will ooze oil and the fan will make sure to spray it all over your lower radiator...yuk...see how I fixed mine in the picture. Used standard 3/4" inner diameter heater hose and a clamp.

For those commenting on proper leveling technique, exactly what is the technique?

I have the older lever operated HWH system..

Old 05-30-2015, 12:04 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your input. We passed based on this particular coach due to the uncovering of water damage in the slide during inspection, along with a couple of other major items and and what was, in my opinion, a general lack of proper maintenance.

Shout out to RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America! (RV Inspection Connection) for saving us a bunch of heartache, headache, and money! Will be using them again when the time comes! Could not have been happier with their service.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a nice 2001 HR 38 PBD Scepter that has almost nothing wrong with it if you are interested.

Thanks,

Alan

2001 HR Scepter 38PBD 330 Cummins
Old 05-31-2015, 12:42 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by steined View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. We passed based on this particular coach due to the uncovering of water damage in the slide during inspection, along with a couple of other major items and and what was, in my opinion, a general lack of proper maintenance.

Shout out to RV Inspection Connection | Professional RV Inspections All Across America! (RV Inspection Connection) for saving us a bunch of heartache, headache, and money! Will be using them again when the time comes! Could not have been happier with their service.
Good job having it inspected and finding those issues.
The price did seem a bit low.
TMan59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer