Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HohoDad View Post
In my 25 years managing a Peterbilt Truck Dealership, Most pryo thermalcouples I have seen are always after the turbo so that when the thermal couple comes apart it does not trash the turbo. Just saying
That would be the safest, & easiest place to install the thermocouple, but not an accurate reading of the EGT -- Maybe 200, 300 degrees cooler than it would be in the manifold -- If I`m having to guess the temperature, why go thru the expense of installing the pyrometer --Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HohoDad View Post
In my 25 years managing a Peterbilt Truck Dealership, Most pryo thermalcouples I have seen are always after the turbo so that when the thermal couple comes apart it does not trash the turbo. Just saying
Hoho Do you know how much installing the Pyro thermo behind the turbo changes the temp at the gauge, I assume the temp would be lower than the install at the exhaust ??
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt2137

Hoho Do you know how much installing the Pyro thermo behind the turbo changes the temp at the gauge, I assume the temp would be lower than the install at the exhaust ??
I've read that it can easily be a 200-300 degree difference.
Clanton24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #18

I use EGT sensors in each of the exhaust pipes on our race car. That is eight of them and they really get abused. I have been doing this for many years and have NEVER had one come apart. You should take a close look at them because there is nothing to come apart. I will admit that we have failures. I had two go bad at the NHRA Gator Nationals last weekend BUT I have never had them come apart. They just stop working. There is no way that you will read the correct EGT if the sensor is mounted after the turbo. They have to be installed as close to the head as possible. The standard is 2 to 2.5' away from the exhaust port with the tip centerd in the middle of the manifold. I am amazed at where some of this erroneous data comes from. If you mount them after the turbo and crank that fuel up so you read 1300* then you are going to burn those valves because it will be a lot hotter that 1300* in the manifold.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Installing a pyro

I've installed several of these, all pre-turbo. What I learned from thedieselstop.com was to start out with a tiny pilot hole and use the next size and then the next size until you get to the size you want. Each bit is liberally coated with wheel bearing grease. Most of the filings come out with the grease and anything that goes out the turbo is small enough to pass with damaging anything.

Been doing it this way since 2001 and I assume others have been using this process even longer. As far as I know there has never been a turbo damaged.

The pyrometer probes themselves are meant for aircraft engines. They don't break apart. If you exhaust got hot enough to melt one it would have melted everything else first.

Not needed in an in-chipped diesel? That depends. If you want to maximize your fuel mileage keeping the pre-turbo temp below 600F is like magic! At least for a Ford 7.3 TDI it is. The last time I towed with my Ford I got 17 MPG towing 11,000 lbs. if only my Bounder could do that!
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Now lets hear about the HUGE difference the MP-8 made to performance and economy. deSanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I've been considering this mod, too. I like Isspro. What size hole for the thermocouple? 1/8 or 1/4 NPTF? What drill bit size? How deep did you set the probe. Grounded or ungrounded? Did you have to recalibrate the gauge with the longer Lead wire?
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
If you go with the Bank`s Kit # 64009, that comes with 55' of lead wire & calibrated for that length, the thermocoupler is set for depth, all you concerns go away -- The other questions are answered in the very first post -- William Willard
Old 03-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Coma ISSPRO also has a PYRO with a 55' calibrated cable......that is the one we use. deSanford
Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Coma ISSPRO also has a PYRO with a 55' calibrated cable......that is the one we use. deSanford
Thanks! I like the Isspro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Willard View Post
If you go with the Bank`s Kit # 64009, that comes with 55' of lead wire & calibrated for that length, the thermocoupler is set for depth, all you concerns go away -- The other questions are answered in the very first post -- William Willard
Thanks, I skimmed over that part.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:07 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Nice upgrade, Bill! Harry doing his usual quality job.

Well done,
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindsorDave View Post
Nice upgrade, Bill! Harry doing his usual quality job.

Well done,
Thanks Dave, I can stand around all day & watch Harry work -- I have a lot of stamina when it comes to that -- I think I heard him say that he has plans to install Pyrometers, MP-8`s & Areo mufflers next year for the Monaco iRV2 group at Quartzsite next January -- So bring bunches of cookies --
Ruby & I missed you & Kathy by a few days at Q this year -- Maybe next year we can get our schdule togeather, so we can be there when you`ll are -- Bill Willard
Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Bill has the neatest visor. Now lets hear about the TS Performance MP-8's power and mileage gains. deSanford
Old 03-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #28

Burning valves with high EGT's is the least damage possible. Pistons can and will be burned thru (especially aluminum pistons) with further resulting damage
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install