Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2008, 02:50 AM   #15

It looks to me like a couple of bicycles would be very useful to get around...

Thats a lot of RV in one place!!
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I think a mountain bike. We are supposed to go join other iRV2'ers on Monday and I'm hoping they brought signal flares so we can find them.

I think the photos shown in my link are mostly from around the Big Tent Event. The RV's are all over the desert for many miles around, and for miles before you even get to QZ. I'll try to get some real-time photos to share later. Winter in the southwest is the best!

MM - I find it a little ironic that "we" have delayed our arrival in QZ. Is it because we have all the luxuries of full-hookups Or is it big-crowd-avoidance?
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Rick & Mic,

We have been busy at the "Big Tent' getting set up for the big RV Show opening which occurred Sat at 9:00 AM. Yesterday,as I watched the crowds surge in to The Tent I couldn't help but reflect, as a Quartzsite "Old Timer." how this all looks to a "Quartzsite Newby" like yourselves for example. Just to give you some perspectives, here are some comparisons.

1. Global Warming...I think not! The weather is QZ is much cooler...make that much colder now. In each of the last ten years historic temperatures are going lower each year. In years past the uniform of choice was shorts and T-Shirts with a light jacket for 40 degree mornings which was pulled of for hot afternoons.Now AM temps are often in the 20"s and things stay chilly all day and shorts are now in the minority.

2. Lower attendance. The crowds you see today are nothing like they used to be. Last year marked the first year of a downturn in overall QZ attendance which, for one reason or another, continues this year.

3.Traffic congestion. In the old days the only way to move around a town that grew from 3000 population to a 300.000 population...IN ONE MONTH...was to walk or bike. If you had to travel by car during the day you learned to drive the washes under the I-10 freeway that divides the town down the middle. Now lower crowds and new four lane roads over the freeway have cut gridlock dramatically.

I'm anxious to hear your impressions.

Come visit The Shady Boat Dealer and let us know.

2005 Monaco Diplomat 40 PDQ
InflatableBoats4Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Tim:
This years weather, compared to last year, seems to me to much nicer...remembe last year...strong winds and rain on 2 days. It is cold in the AM, but warms to about 60 by mid day.
I think your right about thinner crowds...in fact, I was told that the rumor going around the show was that it might be the last year for the big tent????
Just an update....Brenda and Tony left today to return to Phoenix....something about work....the rest of us are here until Wednesday.
We are having a great time...and frankly, I wouldn't miss this happening. We did go to the big tent and make a financial contribution at several booths for tings we couldn't live without.....Ric & Mic supposed to come in tomorrow, so the fun continues
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Yeah, yeah, yeah... we still have to work for a living!!! But what a lovely group of people, very fun, weather as described. We were surprised that there was no beer tent or alcohol vendors anywhere (okay, that can't be just us...), and that there was no entertainment, e.g. bands... music. We truy enjoyed our stay and meeting our new friends, and yes, we bought some things we couldn't live without. We found, (as Bruce could expound upon), that our off road motorcycles were much better for getting to the "big tent" than the bicycles we rode the first day (CRICKEY!!!). "It's only a couple of miles..."

Old 01-20-2008, 07:16 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We think the trip to Quartzsite is one of the most positive things that we have done so far. This year there is less than last year, but the new people we have been introduce to has made this trip one of our best. Teoff his friends the Tracey's, Iron Rick and Brenda and Tony. I'm sure will be our good Friends for long to come. Great people we should all know.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #21

I second the statements of Drifter and may his transfer switch always work and also that Bruce & Gloria always have a shade.

IronRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
How awesome that we have had at least 5 iRV2 members all together at one time. This is who I know about...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Teofff<LI>bsavage<LI>IronRick<LI>D rifter<LI>InflatableBoatsForLess[/list]....and tomorrow it shifts to <LI>GoneFishin instead of bsavage!!

Bruce... Are there any other iRV2 members that I don't know about.. and the big question...How come 5 of you have NOT converted D. Tracey to iRV2 yet!?

MM

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MonacoMama:
I will never get to Quartzite ...at least not with Sacs if he sees those photos!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, can't say as I blame him. Photos don't make me want to go there either. But obviously Sacs and I are in the minority, here.

So, I'm still confused about what the huge draw is at Quartzite. I'd imagine lots of dealers try to sell you new RV's and tons of venders show you their wares, but you can do that at lots of places around the country without the enormous crowds. What is it about Quartzite that draws crowds like that?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:15 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robin_M:

So, I'm still confused about what the huge draw is at Quartzite. I'd imagine lots of dealers try to sell you new RV's and tons of venders show you their wares, but you can do that at lots of places around the country without the enormous crowds. What is it about Quartzite that draws crowds like that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great dry camping. Just pick a spot and you have beautiful clear sky at night and warm days. Very cold at night. If you have a group, a campfire is a must. May have a little wind and dirt from time to time. Off road trips are great, even just in a normal toad.

In 'town' huge RV tent show. Lots of little vendors around and you can get about anything installed. Like Awnings, Satellite equipmemt, Joey Beds, etc.

There are many other 'swap meets' around for folks other than RVers, like HAM radio, jewelry, junk, etc.

The last weekend there is a fine art show which is awesome. You will see Indian Art, fine jewelry, bronzes, weaving, and its one of the best anywhere.

There is lot there for everyone, not just RVers. I know non RV people who drive out for clothing, shoes, household stuff.

Oh yes, another big attraction is people watching and RV watching. You will see a complete range of RVs from oldest modified junkers to newest, all out dry camping.

Southern California
BZam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:17 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
MM...I tried to get Dick to join, but he continues to resist....I keep telling him how much fun the forum has been, and all the friends we have made....Mike, Rick and I will keep working on him this weekend
Old 01-21-2008, 06:19 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Robin:
it's a happening! About everything RV is here in this small town....some people love it and come every year, and some hate it...you have got to be okay with boondocking, crowds, traffic, etc. etc., but I wouldn't miss it.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 AM   #27

Never been to QZ, but these stories remind me of the effect the National Storytelling Festival has on Jonesboro, TN. It's amazing how that little town has figured out how to move so many people through so much cool content, feed them, give them bathrooms, and keep everyone safe over their big weekend.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:47 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Here are some pics of the group...

(By the way, a really gorgeous group of coaches. We had fun doing a tour of each other's rigs... all beautiful!)

bsavage Tony & Brenda

IronRick Rick

Bill & Carol

Drifter Mike & Sharon

Teofff Gloria & Bruce

Dick & Mar