Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 11:37 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
8thdegree, I am a retired truck driver, over 43 years. On start up idle long enough to bring air pressure up and then you are able to idle away. An idling engine will never get to operating temps until it has a load pit to it. Hence idle and pull easily away and everything warms up evenly. As far as shut down, stop, get out, walk around your unit checking it as you go and when that is dun shut it down. Excessive idling is not good for any engine, gas or diesel.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 11:59 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
8thdegree, he said reset, he ment resume!
I also have the mechanical 8.3 in my 96 Monaco Windsor with the King Control cruise! Mine will idle up the RPM's, but it is finicky! Try it a few time's, it should work! Does the cruise work going down the road? If yes, it will work to idle it up! Rail!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:21 AM   #17

Main problem with excessive idling is it dramatically raises temperatures and pressures. Not of the engine, but in everyone within hearing distance.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:47 AM   #18

Ever wonder why diesel engine oil gets so black .

Idling the engine . Turbo diesel engines in particular .
The pistons and rings, in these engines are clearanced to expand at the extreme combustion temperatures the engine develops under load, and below those temperatures the pistons and rings do not fully seal in the cylinder bore allowing unburnt diesel fuel ( unburnt due to low combustion chamber temperatures ) to wash carbon down to the oil pan contaminating the oil and turning it black .
Fire it up , air it up , drive it at city speeds till you have temperature rise then go . Stopping for lunch or the night , 3 mins is lots of cool down time , less if there was city driving before you park . Need A/C ,run your gen set , they need exercise and cycling the roof air doesn't do them any harm either.
Old 05-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
8thdegree, he said reset, he ment resume!
I also have the mechanical 8.3 in my 96 Monaco Windsor with the King Control cruise! Mine will idle up the RPM's, but it is finicky! Try it a few time's, it should work! Does the cruise work going down the road? If yes, it will work to idle it up! Rail!
rail and oldguy are correct: our mechanical 8.3's will idle up using cruise control and resume switch ... play with it a bit and you'll get it.

(we bought a '95 dynasty last year and have discovered this and a few other good-to-knows since then.)
Radacravitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #20

Clarification on setting fast idle for King Control Cruise Control

Before I ever made this post I had read up on how to make the cummins fast idle. However, I was unable to get it to actually work. Thus the reason for my post.

This is what I tried doing. Please correct me if I am not

After engine is running: 1. Press Cruise Control to "On" position. 2. Press the "Set" button. 3. Press the "Resume" button to raise the idle speed.

The only thing I did not do was repeatedly press the "Resume" button.

I tried this before pressing the accelerator pedal without success, and I also tried it without pressing the accelerator pedal without success.

Do you have to press the buttons for any length of time: like hold them for a second or two?

Any clarification would be great!

Thanks again everyone for all you help!
8thDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:49 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Your over thinking it. Let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes. No harm done.

We often let our diesel idle thru our lunch hour.
Yahtzee
!
Old 05-16-2018, 03:01 PM   #22

Sorry it is resume not reset. I have not been able to use the fast idle function with my
throttle pressed. In the winter I use the throttle to keep it revved up until I can let the
throttle go and the engine won't stall and then I use fast idle system. The idle system
doesn't always work and I've had to try it a few time before it would work. I just give the
control a good push.
oldguy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:24 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thDegree View Post

The only thing I did not do was repeatedly press the "Resume" button.
This, I have to push mine 6-8 times to get it to 1k RPM. It bumps 100-200 RPM each press of the resume.
foretexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #24

Thanks for the Insights everyone

I don't plan on starting her up for a few more weeks, so I will take these notes with me and be very patient while trying to get it to work.

To answer a question, yes the cruise control does work. I have used it every time we have taken it anywhere.

Thanks again for everyone's insight and I will keep the forum posted if I get it to work in a few weeks!
8thDegree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You will get digging opinions on this topic. I idle for as long as is needed to get whatever I'm doing done. I don't rush to shut it down, nor do I leave it idle when not needed. I've had pre-emission and DEF engines. YMMV.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #26

You will get digging opinions on this topic

Hmm, not sure I want to dig anything.

On our 96 CTA 8.3, if the exhaust brake is switched ON the CC won't work while parked at idle.

Switch the exhaust brake to OFF and the CC can be bumped up a few hundred RPM's at a time.

We NEVER idle the engine for more than a few minutes. Pre-smog or post-smog controls, does not matter. Idling for more than a few minutes has never been an accepted practice except for extreme weather conditions.

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:39 PM   #27

A simple way is a piece of PVC pipe cut to length to fit between the driver's seat and the throttle pedal. If I still had my older one with no idle up function I would install an idle up solenoid for airconditioner load from an older car. Just mount it at the injector pump linkage and run a wire to a switch on the dash. That was my plan until I sold it. The present owner still uses the PVC. If you will notice when idling your engine rattles more than at higher idle. That is because the valve train load on the timing gears cause gear clearance/lash to fluctuate rapidly causing them to rattle/hammer against each other. Not good.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:59 PM   #28

American Coach Owners Club
Seriously !
Why does anyone need need High Idle either way ?
Warm up Quicker-- Need A/C cooler-- Charge Batteries-- Sound Cool ?
Someone please explain !
I fire mine up and let it warm-- maybe 10 or 15 min and I'm reedy to roll.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, engine