Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2019, 07:49 AM   #1

Question about low-mileage coach

Hello: we are going to test drive a 2000 Signature Admiral with the Cummins 500 that has had 3 owners and the odometer reads at just 20K. It is a private sale. We have seen the coach up close and personal and it has been physically well-maintained. Maintenance records are non-existent although I guess with that mileage there may not have been occasion for documented maintenance. I talked with the broker who knew the previous two owners and he said they were conscientious and the original owner was an obsessive maintainer. What areas should we focus on during the drive and re-inspection? I understand that fuel and seals conditions could be a potential problem. Any thoughts/recommendations on what to look for? Thanks very much for any comments.
Cavdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 AM   #2

Also forgot to mention that seller is looking for a premium $5K to NADA average retail.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #3

Anything "rubber/plastic" - miles doesn't necessarily scare me.. but I would pay particularly close attention to -

Tires
Hoses
Belts
Seals
Gaskets
Roof
Caulking

Just be thorough and you should be fine - might be worth your while to have the local Cummins (or highly recommended independent shop) look it over for you

Good luck !!
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just two more comments:

Check generator hours too.

Coach may have sit in same spot for years while owners lived in it. That doesn't mean Gen was run (may have been plugged into Shore Power).

A Tech with diagnostic/scan tool could plug into the Cummins ECM (diagnostic port) and read the engine hours. Coaches odometer could have be replaced at some point int the past.

If engine sat for a long time without being run - could have water in oil (from condensation) so you would want to change fluids. Also the diesel fuel could be bad by now too (and have water in it) - if it is over a year old
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
IRV2 is the only place that I have seen people complain about low miles. At our dealership we upped the trade in value for low miles and ALWAYS charged more for when selling. If a coach has set for years without moving, this could (would) be a problem. I had a customer who drove 30 miles to the lake about twice a month in his Pace Arrow. I tried to talk them into going on longer trips, but they were older and just enjoyed the lake. It was ten years old and had about 14,000 miles on it. I would loved to have purchased this coach from them. As long as a coach is used a few times a year, the seals will be OK. My coach is 21 years old and is used from two to eight times a year. Zero oil leaks and only 1 engine problem. a blown spark plug.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CavDogs,

Welcome to the DP world. You'll love the difference.

Service records not being available raises a red flag when a broker is involved. Smells a little to me.

If you are thinking of purchasing an Extended Service Plan, which mine has more than paid for itself, you must show proof all maintenance has been completed. Like you they told me everything had been done but no records. I immediately had the next mileage service PM performed and found many things that had not been done.

The owner KNOWS where he had the oil changed, gen serviced, etc. I wish I would have demanded talking to owner prior to buying - I would have still purchased my DP but at least then I would have had a better sense of what could need special attention.

ADD: I just purchased the ScanGuage D to install in my DP which gives me more info on DP's performance. Will be installing it this coming week as my back is getting better and I can lay down and get up better. Installation is very easy, set up mount on dash, run cable, plug in and run setup. Should take about 15 minutes. Interested to see what my horsepower is and how it changes going down the road.

Best wishes - Richard
Old 04-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
You are going to LOVE this coach (yes, I'm biased) We purchased ours with 80,000 +- miles and about 1K on the generator. We purchased our from the second owner and was well taken care of. In the few years of ownership the only problems we have encountered was / were one faulty ground that shut down our 12 volt system, had to jump the Salesman Switch once (common problem unless bypassed) replaced the engine cover lift struts ($70) added a dishwasher and, well that's it! You wont find a better engine than the ISM 500. a lot of power and very smooth running. Nicked-named the Million mile motor. Never been denied to a 10 year restriction RV Resort. Good luck, it's a good choice.
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

Before purchase, and there is no way I would pay a 5K premium. But I would insist on an oil analysis report from a reputable testing lab like Blackstone.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
CavDogs,

Welcome to the DP world. You'll love the difference.

Service records not being available raises a red flag when a broker is involved. Smells a little to me.

If you are thinking of purchasing an Extended Service Plan, which mine has more than paid for itself, you must show proof all maintenance has been completed. Like you they told me everything had been done but no records. I immediately had the next mileage service PM performed and found many things that had not been done.

The owner KNOWS where he had the oil changed, gen serviced, etc. I wish I would have demanded talking to owner prior to buying - I would have still purchased my DP but at least then I would have had a better sense of what could need special attention.

ADD: I just purchased the ScanGuage D to install in my DP which gives me more info on DP's performance. Will be installing it this coming week as my back is getting better and I can lay down and get up better. Installation is very easy, set up mount on dash, run cable, plug in and run setup. Should take about 15 minutes. Interested to see what my horsepower is and how it changes going down the road.

Best wishes - Richard
None of the gauges read actual torque or hp. All they do is program in the factory hp and torque then show the predicted info based on throttle opening at your rpm.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:57 AM   #10

check date codes on tires, send out for oil sample, have cummins plug computer in and check for any diagnostics codes. Run gen under load check operation of slides outs. Turn on EVERY switch and check door step operation.
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 03:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, this could be an awesome coach. The Cummins ISM was one of the best motor home engines ever built. It was lighter than most other 500hp engines yet produces great torque. The only weakness was the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation system) system and a 2000 model will not have it.

Be very careful on pricing, as it's all over the map. Do not trust NADA bluebook. Do nationwide searches on RVT.com and RVTrader.com for 1999-2002 Signatures and rank order by price, lowest first. There may be a few ads that will have outrageous asking prices (throw these out). This will give you a feel for asking prices across the country.

Inspect the coach well being especially alert for water leaks anywhere. Look at the outside bottom of the slide-out for water damage.

Have the engine and trans oil analyzed at Blackstone labs.

Look for tire dates (not tread!). I recommend a 7 year cut off.

Look at battery dates. I'd recommend no more than 3 years old.
Like someone else said, check the generator for hours and that it starts easily and runs smoothly once warmed up.

Check the Allison trans for codes (hold the up and down shift arrows simultaneously).
If you can borrow a heavy diesel scanner, check the engine for codes. Like someone else mentioned, you may need to go to a Cummins service for this.

Check the air conditioners and thermostats. They are also a good load for checking the generator. The old 4 button Dometic thermostat was problematic. Hopefully they updated to a newer 5 button model.

Check the Norcold refrigerator carefully. If there is any ammonia smell, even faint, turn it and the propane to it off immediately. These refrigerators are responsible for burning motor homes to the ground!

Plan on updating TV's and changing all the fluids.

Probably lots more, but this will get you close.

Take a notebook and make lots of notes and a camera and take lots of pictures. Make sure your spouse also goes over the inside carefully as they will see things you miss.

Download the owners manual here: (The 2000 is not available, but the 2001 will get you very close)
https://www.monacocoach.com/rv-owners-manuals

Download the original brochure here:
https://www.monacocoach.com/luxury-rv-brochures?y=2000

Let us know how it goes?
Best of luck!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #12

Thank you all for your comments. One thing that is puzzling is that I couldn't find date stamps for the tires but did notice that they are regroovable. First I've ever heard of that. Is that as threatening as a retread and is that why there is no date stamp?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
There are date stamps on there somewhere. Some of the tires may have the DOT code on the inside. This makes it very difficult to find if its inside on the rear duals, but you can still find it on the front.
https://www.michelintruck.com/tires-...dentification/

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...-of-your-tires

Many big truck commercial tires are regroovable, but this is usually not applicable for RV's because we do not drive 200,000 miles per year and RV tires go out of date with lots of tread still available.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:13 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I surely hope it’s not the $100K one in NH...if so I hope the trailer comes with it, new tires on everything, and a 1000W solar system with 800AH of Battle Born Lion batteries plus a 5 year bumper to bumper, $0 deductible warranty.

A friend, a year ago bought a 2002 Signature (has the bigger LR slides) with a $12K Tahoe toad for $87K. Currently there is a 2000 Sig in NC for $54K. For $100K you could buy a 05-06 Dynasty (will be nicer than a 00 Sig) with 3-4 slides and low miles.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote