Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #1
GFC

Question about power adapters

I'm a lifelong boater who recently crossed over the the RV side of things. The boat we just sold had 125VAC 50A power and also 240VAC 50A power. (It was a 55' cruiser). I was pretty much used to the power on that but now I'm a bit stumped.

The only storage spots around this area offer 125VAC 15A power. That's it. My new to us 2008 Monaco Camelot has 50A service. I do have an adapter that will reduce the 50A down to 30A and that helps me to get where I want to go, but as with many things the "last mile" is the most difficult part.

The spot I'm going to keep the RV in has a receptacle at the back end of the storage spot that has 4 female plug-ins.

I'm looking for a "Y-adapter" that has two 15A male plugins that will convert that to a 30A Female plug that will accept the adapter I already have.

Question #1, Am I going to damage the Monaco by doing this, and
Question #2, will this 30A provide enough power to keep batteries charged and the refrig going?

Can y'all please hep dis rookie RV'er?

Thanks
Mike
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #2

Welcome to the dry side! Lots of RVers are former boaters, so you're in good company.

The two 15A plugs are likely on the same circuit so you can't combine them to get 30. You only need ~5A @120V to keep the fridge going and the batteries charged.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:52 PM   #3

As above, what are you going to run in storage that needs 50 amps?

A 15 amp circuit is plenty for keep the unit charged.

The comment above about only being able to draw 15 amps off a single outlet is a good point. I will add that you can only draw 15 amps total off everything on that same circuit......

Last but not least you can buy a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter also. It is one less connection in the connector to connector stack.

For me I am rarely in a spot that has 50 amp service so I do not want to pull that big heavy cord if I do not need to. Most of the time I only have access to 15 amps so I pull a heavy duty 50' 15 amp cord and use the 50 amp to 15 amp adapter at the RV side. Much lighter and cheaper. The rare times we are where hookups exist I have never needed more than 30 amps so I pull my 30 amp cord (had from previous RV) which again is much lighter and manageable.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:54 PM   #4

Just get a dogbone adaptor from 50 amp to 15/20 amp. There out there.

If you try to combine 2 15 amp outlets to a 30 amp, two things will happen.

The single breaker will trip supplying the outlets or two breakers will trip if on different legs. The 30 to 50 amp adaptor combines the 2 legs creating a dead short.

Remember, 15, 20, and 30 amps are single leg, 120 volts only.
50 amps is 2 legs equaling 240 volts.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:48 PM   #5
GFC

"You only need ~5A @120V to keep the fridge going and the batteries charged."

Bingo, that is the answer I was looking for. That fits well into the KISS (Keep it simple, Stupid) method of doing things. I was trying to keep the batts charged, just 'cause, and the refrig going so we wouldn't have to unload it and reload it with each trip.

"The comment above about only being able to draw 15 amps off a single outlet is a good point. I will add that you can only draw 15 amps total off everything on that same circuit......"

"Last but not least you can buy a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter also. It is one less connection in the connector to connector stack."

Thanks. Both of these answers fit into my KISS strategy and I love that.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:52 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Something else that may be a factor is your battery charger.
The battery charger is normally a very small load, but if your batteries get low for any reason, the battery charger is probably capable of delivering 100A@12v to the batteries. That would be about a 10A@125 load.
So, depending on what all else is going on with that circuit, you could easily wind up tripping the circuit breaker.
There's a parameter in the charger setup where you can limit the charger's max AC current to try and prevent this. If there are additional AC loads inside the coach, the charger will throttle back the battery charger so total current doesn't exceed the threshold.
This feature is particularly useful in campgrounds with 30a power. You can only run one AC on 30a power, and if you've got other devices turned on you can trip that 30a breaker pretty easily.
Cheers,
Walter
Old 05-07-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
GFC

Wow, this is embarrassing!!

I was just contacted by a very observant reader about this post. I'll blame my mistake on this thing being so new to us, but it is a 2008 CAYMAN, not a Camelot.

Thanks for all the info you put above. Being a true newbie I really appreciate it.

Sign me....

A Happy CAYMAN owner.
Old 05-07-2021, 12:07 PM   #8

Your (as are all of them) 50 amp RV is 50/240. So TWO hots, a neutral and ground.

50 amps available on L1 and 50 amps available on L2= 100 amps @ 120 VAC total available.

While you could get a 15/20 male to 50 female adapter, you could also just buy the 15/20 male to 30 female and plug your 30 male to 50 female adapter into it.

The only reason I would spend the $$ for a 15/20 male to 50 amp female adapter is if the adapter would be outdoors and exposed to rain. There, less connections would be worth the extra $$.
Old 05-07-2021, 01:47 PM   #9

Now that we are over that hurdle, most 15 amp outlets in storage places are going to be GFCI protected.

Lots of RVs seem to trip them due to a number of reasons, some just unknown.

Hopefully, yours isn't one of them.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 02:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Now that we are over that hurdle, most 15 amp outlets in storage places are going to be GFCI protected.

Lots of RVs seem to trip them due to a number of reasons, some just unknown.

Hopefully, yours isn't one of them.
Thanks, I've been wondering why my GFCI trips when I am plugged in with nothing really on in the m/h. Time to swap out the outlet for a non GFIC.
Old 05-07-2021, 02:30 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
No power needed when I store.

GFC,

Just to add my 2 cents. My rig has 2 disconnects which totally shut off all loads. We camp about every 4 to 6 weeks. Batteries stay charged. Been doing this for 10 to 12 years- I get 5 to 6 years of life out of them (I'd probably get more if they were excercised regularly).

Tags
ada, power