Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question on running lights & turn signals 2003 monaco exec.

I have a fairly new to me 2003 Monaco executive. It has 3 sets of what I consider yellow lights along the bottom (waistline) of the rig) 1 set in front, another set in the middle and another set near the back. (1 on each side). The lens are like the ones on the top of the unit. I believe the ones in the front and back on the unit are turn signals. Are the ones in the middle turn signals as well? or are they just running lights? If they are running lights only, should they be working when the 'headlight switch' is pulled out halfway for what I think of as 'parking lights'? as well as when the switch is pulled out all the way.

I also do not have any tail lights (although I have brake and turn signals). May or may not be a related issue.

Thanks,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am thinking that the middle markers are related to the taillights not working. On our Dynasty, they are markers only. On our Tradition, they were two of them in the middle, one was a marker and one a turn signal. Do the ones in the front and back flash with the turn signals. If not, I am thinking they are markers also and would be on when the parking lights and tail lights would be on. This might not be completely correct but might get you looking in the right direction. Happy Trails Bert
Old 09-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

On our '06 Dynasty, the "tail(park/running)/turn/brake" lights are all in the common assembled units on each corner of the coach, as you might expect. We have "clearance lights" across the front above the windshield, across the back at the top of the rear cap, and distributed along both sides, like you described. I think that the "tail lights", "park lights" and "running lights" are one and the same, and are referring to the lamps in the common assembled units on each corner of the coach along with the turn and brake lights. On our coach, all of the running and clearance lights should be on when you switch on your headlight switch to what you (and I) call the "parking lights" position as well as the "headlights" position.

I made a schematic of my headlights system. I did not include much related to the rear of the coach, however at the point where the circuits exit the control and protection part of the system, they split off an go to the rear run panel where they then go to the rear cap fixtures. I don't know how close it will match your coach as I learned they made lots of changes from year to year, and even within a year runs. For example, there are two relays on board #8 in the front run box that were used for "high" and "low" beam on some coaches, and for "left" and "right" high beam on others. You will see that the "run" and "clearance" lights relays share a common connection, so both are operated when either is called for. I do NOT guarantee the accuracy of my sketch, or its applicability to your coach, but I do know that it is very close to accurate for our coach. It may very well be a good place to help you start.

There is more than one fuse and more than one relay involved in much of the lighting control on our coach. I don't know if my sketch will help you, or not. But I wish you good luck in your troubleshooting.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Head Run Tail and Dash Lights Schematic.pdf (75.0 KB, 140 views)
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
K7JV Very nice schematic. Not trying to hijack the thread. Do you know the location of the Canadian daytime running light module. I would like to bypass that or switch it. On ours, the smartwheel headlight flash does not work as it is over-ridden by the running lights. Thanks and Happy Trails Bert
Old 09-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #5

Good morning, Jobert

In our coach, it is mounted on the "ceiling" of the front run box, immediately behind the toggle to run the generator slide in and out. Ours kind of looks like a cast pewter box with small cooling fins on the bottom.

I'm going to plead ignorance, as I am not near our coach, so I can't tell you which wire I cut, but I did disable ours for the same reason you mentioned. I've thought many times about modifying the design so that the headlights would be briefly de-energized by the "smartwheel headlight flash" (ICC) function, so I could re-enable the daylight function as I think it does add safety.

I would also like to modify the design so that the ICC would "flash" the brake lights, rather than just the clearance lights, as during the day the clearance lights are barely visible.

These are pretty awesome coaches, and they have some great ideas, but sometimes the implementation of the ideas comes up a little short.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lights, monaco