RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Question on sidewall "seam"

Yesterday we looked at a bargain-priced '97 Dynasty 38. It was tired, but surprisingly sound and seemed like it could work for us. We had not looked at Monacos before but this one was impressive as to how well it had stood up to being somewhat neglected. The dealer said they would guarantee to have all the major systems working and would put new tires of our choice on it.

The one thing that gave me pause in our initial look at it was that if you looked at the exterior sides in such a way as to see the reflection you could discern what appeared to be a vertical "seam" in the gelcoat running the whole width of the panel. It was pretty subtle but definitely there. It almost looked like the underlying plywood/whatever had a seam in it. In a couple spots there appeared to be a slightly raised area on either side of the seam that was about 12" wide. This wasn't near the roof, or any windows. the seam appeared on both sides of the coach, perhaps 3/4 of the way back from the front. I tried to take a pic with my phone but it was too subtle to show.

Initial web searches don't seem to show a pattern of delamination with Monacos. But of course each coach is unique.

Any ideas on what I was seeing?

Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 07:52 AM   #2

ask them to explain it! and if it don't sound right then walk away! never seen what your saying but If it makes you worry you need to walk away! Think why are they willing to put over $2000 in tires and sell it so cheap? and if you go for it then tell them you want Michelin's put on it! best ride and lasting in my eyes.

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I own a 2002 Windsor and I don't have this seam line on my coach, or at least I can't see it. If it is on both sides it must be a manufacturing fingerprint but don't know what would cause this.

I worked at a factory that made large insulated boxes for OTR trucking. The side panels are fiberglass with is manufactured in big sheets by first applying the base coat of a colored resin and then multiple layers of cut fibers & resin that are blown on and then rolled to make it flat. There should be no seam in the fiberglass panels. The panels are then pressed or vacuumed sealed with the interior walls and foam between in the voids.

The Dynasty's are made with the full steel cage, mine is also. On a cool morning with dew you can see the grid pattern of metal under the fiberglass. Mine has a truss system on the bottom with a piece running full length about ~2 ft off the floor, then it has the opening for windows and other openings and another truss system on top. This full steel cage coupled with the chassis gives the coach an outstanding ride.

If possible and conditions are right go and look at the RV in the AM to see if you can see the metal super structure, the seam may be an underlying metal piece.

My concern with buying an older coach that you indicate was "neglected" would be maintenance on the chassis, engine, and drive train which could cost you big $$$$. I would have the coach inspected by a competent person to look for issues with these types of things. Minor cosmetic issues wouldn't be a concern of mine as they can be fixed usually for a minor cost especially if you are a DIY type person.

The Dealer may have gotten his money out of new RV that he sold and just wants to get out from under this one. It is getting late in the season and if it sits on the lot it will depreciate even more and make the other inventory look bad.

BTW, me and my DW love the Windsor, it is a great coach. We are the 2nd owners and getting ready to run over 100k on our next trip. It is a rock solid coach, drives like a dream, and is more then we could have ever asked for when we bought it in 2008 as a repo.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has a vertical seam in the back, don't notice it on the drivers side but that is where the bedroom slide is. I asked the paint and body men at Premire Rv in Juction City, Or. about it and they said it was not a problem with the wall, just is a seam that could have been finished better at the factory. You have to be in the right spot to see it. I've had the coach 3 years and it is still the same.
If you haven't been up on the roof yet, get up there and check all seams, I climbed up on every roof when I was looking to buy and found alot that wasn't right. Go under and check for oil leaks and rust. When was service done, oil change on engine, trans, engine air filter and air pump system filter. When coach has run for while and air is built up open drain valve to both air tanks(one at a time with engine off) and see if any moisture comes out. Have them build up the air pressure and come back the next day and see if it lost pressure, 10-20 lbs not too bad, 50-60 pounds not so good, these things can be fixed and depending on the price and what it is not a deal breaker.
Good luck,
John G
CJScepter is offline   Reply With Quote