Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-29-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Questions 2003 Executive 40DS

Two weeks and 1500 miles on our new to us 2003 Monaco executive 40DS we encounter a few relatively small issues, mostly operator (me) lack of knowledge and or inexperience, any help/guidance is appreciated

1) what's the correct ride height?
The seller pretty much told me to go with a visual, now I realize that this thing is self-leveling , I just don't know how to get it to work, I also see a travel light on the HWH panel, the problem is I have not seen it on yet, manually raising the motorhome does not seem to get that light to turn on and I'm afraid I may blow up the bags if I continue pumping air, so far I settled for high enough so as not to rip the front fenders

2) best tire pressure

As part of our agreement the seller installed brand-new Michelin XZA2 295/80r225 tires, the installer who has 25 years experience set ALL the tires at 120lbs!!!!!
I figure an alignment will be a great investment before we begin our 8kmi journey , the alignment shop suggested 110lbs cold all around , but now I'm reading about some of you using staggered pressures, on average 115 front 85 drive wheels 100 tag , does this seem right, I'm not going to weigh the coach right now, I'm just looking for a safe comfortable ride, especially for when things get hot driving thru the desert.
I feel 120psi is excessive and not the way to go, so...... I mixed it a little with 115 front axle and 110for all the rears while adjusting the tag axle pressure to 37lbs
Any input?
Thank you all in advance, this forum has been a great source of information while getting our feet wet.
Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Hi Mario. Hope I can answer most of your questions. The ultimate way to find out exactly how much tire pressure is to weigh the Exec fully loaded and full of fuel but that is not going to help you right now. Your Exec is only a 40 ft so it is a little lighter which is good. 120 psi is max inflation pressure for the tires cold and is not good because the traction patch of the tire is smaller and it is rough riding. Will not hurt the tires being at 120. Based on Michelin load and pressure chart which I can email I think you would be close at 110 psi in the steer axle, 95 psi in the drive axle and 85 in the tag. That is cold pressures. The tag bag pressure needs to be at 35-40 psi and that control is in the engine compartment on the drivers side and you seem to have that under control. Your leveling system can either go to Travel Mode by depressing the Travel Mode button on the HWH Control Panel or it will do it automatically when you release the parking brake. You have to have at 80 psi in the air tanks for this to happen. The little green light is dim so check it carefully. You should not be driving the Exec unless you have a travel light. You will damage the suspension. To auto level when parking leave the motor running so you have good air pressure with the tranny in neutral and the parking brake on then depress the button marked AIR on the HWH control panel twice. First depression is manual mode and second depression puts it in auto level. If nothing happens then hit the Master Reset and try it.
As far as front end alignment look at your front tires and see if they are both wearing evenly across the tread. If they are they no need to get an alignment.

If you email me at mike.c@mindspring.com I can send you inflation tables for your tires.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike, thank you so much for your advice, I will put it to good use tomorrow as we heading to Galveston TX from New Orleans.
I do have two more question if it's not too much trouble, of the two leveling options
Jack-HWH, is one better than the other?
Does it hurt the bags if left inflated for 4-5 days at the time while camping?
M&K
Old 01-29-2015, 08:27 PM   #4

In the past I have found that jacks twist the body too much and I prefer leveling with bags. I usually check under the engine and transmission to make sure no rocks then dump all the air via the HWH panel do it is sitting all the way down then hit level. It feels more stable this way being down lower but you can just go to auto level from Travel height. I don't have jacks on my Sig but if I had them I think I miight consider only using them if high winds blowing. First I would level with bags then just drop the jacks enough to stable it. The only time I have ever felt motion with bag leveling was in high winds in Arizona. HWH told me there was no way to damage the bags. I have left my Sig all the way down for months at a time. I store it plugged in in auto level and the six air compressor will keep it level all the time. Just as a warning befor you lower the mh or level it make sure your steer wheels are straight. Does that answer your questions? Feel free to ask any at any time.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #5

As usual Mike is rite on right. I have jacks and air levelling and almost never use the jacks

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Yes , your answers are straight up and to the point, I love the lack of ambiguity
It's quite reassuring !
Thanks again
Old 01-30-2015, 06:14 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

Is it necessary to lube the rails of the slide outs ? I noticed that they are dry . If so, what type of grease should I use ? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
One other question. If necessary, how do I reset the HWH and what exactly wil that accomplish ?
Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM   #9

There should me a Master Reset button either next to the HWH control panel like it is on mine or somewhere close. The only time I really have to use it is when I raise the mh up as high as it will go on the airbags so I can get underneath. After I raise it up I hit the Emergency Stop on the HWH control panel to shut it down and leave it up. Usually to restart it again after the Emergency Stop I have to hit the Master Reset. Just to let you know that you cannot hurt the bags by raising the MH up. I have used the raise up feature several times especially to get over dips in the road when coming out of a gas station or parking lot. Just like one time I came across a bridge that just wasn't high enough and I dropped the suspension all the way down and with my wife on a Walkie talkie got under it. Just can't turn the steering wheel too far when all the way down. The only other time I have used the a master reset is that the system was confused for some reason. Can't think of any other reason.

As far as lubing the slide out rails HWH say to use spray silicone. No grease or oil.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:34 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
No reset button on or around the HWH control panel, in fact I checked every toggle switch and button with no luck, so now I'm wondering if shutting down the power to the house and the chassis may accomplish the same reset goal.
The New tire pressures soften the ride and the coach seems to track better as well (I like it!)
Since we already treated the rubber seals around the sliders spraying the rails with silicon complete most of my to do list
Thanks again for the advice !!!!!!!!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:01 PM   #11

just called my buddy that has a Exec and he said his HWH leveling master reset is located outside in the forward electric run box. It is a red square button at the top of the box
Old 01-31-2015, 07:32 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Wow, This is beyond anything we could ask for!!!!!
I will try the reset shortly, despite your recommendation not to travel without a travel light, the circumstances dictated otherwise, this has been going for at least 4kmi to my knowledge , 2000 by the seller who advised me to manually raise enough to clear the fenders + 2000 more by us in the last 2 weeks , I understand I need to address this issue and resetting the HWH will be the first thing and hope it'll do the trick, the HWH seem to work fine otherwise.
Mike, We're way beyond grateful by now
Old 01-31-2015, 07:12 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I assumed he's talking the first bay door (front) driver side, the one that has all the relays & fuses and several electrical connections, unfortunately I did not see any square red button or any button for that mater, is dark now, so I'll take an other look tomorrow before we take off to mustang island
Old 02-04-2015, 10:04 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
On our Dynasty, the reset button is in that front electrical bay along the rear wall, It says HWH and then has a lighted reset switch and a master warning light. Wires from the switch then run back into the maze of circuit boards. If you have an owners manual might follow the steps that Mike laid out above. You may have some fuzzy connections. We had to remove the control panel and move the connections around as ours had set for a time before we purchased it. Hope this may help. Happy Trails Bert