Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2012, 04:17 PM   #1

Quick fix for power windshield sunvisor's that have fallen down.

There is another thread about broken sunvisor's running that I felt if I replied to would be getting off the original subject.
Decided it is worth relating my experience with this happening as it might get you down the road if it happens as it did to us.
Passenger side windshield sunvisor mounting clips broke about an hour after we had left for a Colorado trip two years ago and the driver's side did the same this past Feb. while on the way to the Wakarusa service center.
Sunvisors are made by Carefree and they are cheaply engineered. The plastic mounting slots broke both times after some rough roads.
I was able to pull into a Tavel America truck stop in Mt. Vernon IL when the first one broke and sat there about an hour trying to figure how to make a fix as I didn't want my wife to suffer with the glare on the trip.
Finally got the bright idea of taking a large black electrical zip tie and drove the mounting screw through the zip tie then looped it around the end of the sunvisor right next to where the broken clip used to exist. Snugged it up and while at it did the other end. Guess at the time I thought it was a fluke until the 2nd one broke.
They are still that way. You would never notice unless you knew they were there. I just can't see spending $ 450 to replace both sunvisor's when they are just going to break again. I had an estimate done on MCD powered sunvisor's but it will require reconfiguring the front TV cabinet and just can't justify that at this time.
Hope this helps someone if your sunvisor's break loose like ours did.
Letsgoagain
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We had jsut arrived in Quartzsite and were setting up camp when suddenly the passenger side fell down. I clipped the wiring and removed it. When we got home I looked at the plastic bracket that had broken.....It probably would have lasted longer if they had used some large fender washers to distribute the stress of the screw mount.

I took a small piece of tin and cut it so that it overlapped the original mounting screw hole and attached to a screw on the back side of the mount. I reinstalled it and it works great. I added larger washers to the other screws on the opposite end of the passenger side blindband the driver's blind.

If yours have broken, they will. Just add washers to the screws that support the blinds and you'll probably never have an issue.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Grand Design Owners Club
I had the same problem with my passenger side. I agree the mounts are way to small and cheep. I pulled the screw out opened a small slot with a pocket knife on the opposite side and used a black zip tie to go all the way around the retractable screens housing and up through the two holes in the headliner over the dash. Zip tight and this will hold well.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:45 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I picked up a couple of these Conduit Pipe Strap, 2 Hole, 2 In, PVC - Conduit Fittings - Conduit Fittings - 4FYU1 : Grainger Industrial Supply at Lowes and painted them black. I installed them on the motor end only and used the zip ties on the opposite end. I used gunnel mount outrigger clips (boat type) and installed them inside the drapery track. Ran the zip ties under the track and through the clips. No interference with the draw drapery and no interference with the shades up and down movement.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power