Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 04:28 PM   #29

Please try it and let us know how it works.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I am going to order the product and try it when I get some time. I'll also order their citrus adhesive remover. For the cost why not try it. If this stuff really works, might help a lot of us with the terrible looking front end.

I'll post when I start to give it a try.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:36 AM   #31

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
I'm in process of removing mine. Pretty much following all the comments here and other postings, using a steamer and plastic scrapers.

I did find that Goof Off Pro (not the regular version) will remove the glue, just takes a few passes and leaving it on for a minute or two to soak. Putting a piece of saran wrap over the remover helps it work and not dry out.

Mine was 11 year old (factory install) and had severe(!) mildew underneath. Paint shop had reluctantly offered to remove and if necessary repaint for many $$, so I figured try it myself, nothing to lose.

Will be a project... no easy strips coming off, but managed a couple panels around the headlight in about 3 hrs. Final result after waxing (done after last photo) looks almost new. Looks like a summer-weekend project for now... but at least there is life after Diamondshield.
Nice job! It looks really familiar to me. The old part that is. Since we have the same coach I'm not surprised. This has been a project I have been avoiding but maybe this summer.

I might try using MEK to remove the adhesive. It worked when I was repairing a Zodiac inflatable boat we owned and all the glue needed to be removed before re-gluing. The MEK substitute is available at hardware stores and is safer than the old stuff. Acetone didn't work bad on the boat either.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
About to head out for more scraping with rapid remove - got to get at it early cause its 95 by noon so rapid remove dries before it hits the glue - No luck trying the saran wrap. - . I tried everything else and it works about the same. I'm finding that the glue comes off the light brown and black pretty clean and looks nice BUT the Gray stripe across the front is a very hard and a light coating of glue almost impossible to get off - Not to mention that it scratch's very easy. I might have to get it painted... ugh
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #33

Have to put my two cents in here...After getting the vinyl off using the same methods mentioned, I too became frustrated with getting the adhesive off. I stumbled across Wyrick's Sticky Substance Remover. I can only say, it worked.
Wyrick Company
401 W. Washington Ave.
Zealand, Michigan. 49464
(616)772-6800
(800)887-8227

Bob Phillips
'05 Windsor. PDQ
vidref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 04:50 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
I might try using MEK to remove the adhesive. It worked when I was repairing a Zodiac inflatable boat we owned and all the glue needed to be removed before re-gluing. The MEK substitute is available at hardware stores and is safer than the old stuff. Acetone didn't work bad on the boat either.

Wow, you're brave. MEK and acetone are pretty aggressive solvents. It's one think to use them on the rubber of a Zodiac, but I would be afraid of paint damage on such a visible area of the coach. Good luck, but personally, I would stick to milder solvents that have less chance of attacking the paint. (Lacquer thinner would be another one that would probably work great, but shouldn't go anywhere near the paint!)
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:13 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Wow, you're brave. MEK and acetone are pretty aggressive solvents. It's one think to use them on the rubber of a Zodiac, but I would be afraid of paint damage on such a visible area of the coach. Good luck, but personally, I would stick to milder solvents that have less chance of attacking the paint. (Lacquer thinner would be another one that would probably work great, but shouldn't go anywhere near the paint!)
I thought about that too. Maybe trying a small, not so noticeable area first to try it out would be a good idea. The side view mirrors have the awful stuff on them and like the rest of it cracked and turning black. Might be a good place to start.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 05:33 AM   #36

You did a great job BILL. Looks brand new. I'll do the same with mine when and if it cracks and peels. On a 03, mine still looks brand new. The secret to keep it that way is to wash it everytime you use it and before we have that drink with our neighbor and wax with a good liquid wax like Mother's.
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:52 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been doing the same removal project on my Vectra and had to share a new product for removing the adhesive (after using the red plastic razors to remove the plastic)...

Was at the local hardware and he told me to try a new product they had received that others were raving about, so I tried it and WOW was it easy to remove the adhesive. Just a tap or two with the red plastic razors on the thicker remnants and the glue came right off.

The product is call "Paint & Graffiti Wipes" made by Jack Manufacturing. They come in a can and look a lot like Handi-wipes etc but are a bit larger and orange. One side is smooth, the other is rough, and whatever they have on them ("Proprietary formula") really cuts the adhesive. Not carried in any of the big box stores nor Amazon at this time that I've been able to find, seems to be mostly in mom-and-pop hardware stores based on their web site. Can be ordered from them directly or they have a list of stores across the US. Apparently these folks have been making industrial chemicals for 40 years and are now branching out into consumer products. HIGHLY recommended. I rarely due product raves but these things really made a difference once the plastic was removed. https://handcleaner.com/Products/Wipes
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
So what is everybody doing after the removal? I would think that applying a new mask would be in order to protect the paint for another 8 year or so. Or is everybody just leaving it?
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
So what is everybody doing after the removal? I would think that applying a new mask would be in order to protect the paint for another 8 year or so. Or is everybody just leaving it?
I'm going bare on ours, with frequent waxing and bug removal. No doubt it will pick up some dings over time but won't look as bad as the 3M after deterioration.
Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quick-N-Easy for 3M mask glue removal to the rescue

One thing to consider: I've heard anecdotal reports that while the genuine 3M Diamond Shield has a good track record and long life, there are imitators out there that do not enjoy such a good reputation and are prone to failure. Since 3M originated the product, and has a good name, most people seem to call any clear shield a 3M shield whether it was made by 3M or not. Much like some people call all tissues Kleenex, or all copiers a Xerox.

Did Monaco use the actual 3M product, or one of the cheaper alternatives? Is there a way to tell? Might using the genuine 3M product give better results?

I don't know the veracity of the "inferior knock-off" claims, or what product Monaco actually uses. Just trying to spur some thought on the subject.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:05 AM   #41

Now you tell me!! I sure could've used those wipes last week! Just completed removal of my "genuine" Diamond Shield. WOW what a job. My hands and fingers are still cramping. To give Ada's it's due it was 12 yrs old and was just starting the crazing/mold in the cracks. But DW hated how it looked, so off it came. Will probably also just wax and keep bugs off, but a bra is under review.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 07:46 AM   #42

Adam, my Monaco build sheets states that it is 3M. My guess is they would not lie on the build sheet. Also, is there anyone out there with any motorhomes dated from the 2006 and earlier that has an original equipment shield that is NOT cracked or crazed. I would like to hear that.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal