RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Radiator Leak

I have a 2000 Monaco Dynasty and recently I noticed a small leak at my Radiator. I attempted to post a picture. The leak appears to be coming from behind a plate located just below the upper hose attachment. I have not yet attempted to remove the plate to reseal it and would like some input before I attempt a repair. It appears this plate is attached by bolts with a round head with an indent, possible allen head bolts. I tried an allen wrench but could not get one to fit. I am sure that I want to attempt to turn these without knowing for sure they are bolts ( I do not want break one off). Is anyone familiar with this plate on the radiator and might know if the protruding studs are bolts. I can tell someone in the past has attempted to seal this area with a red material. Thanks in advance

oldtymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #2

Without seeing the whole view of that side of the radiator, this initially appears to me to be a "block-off" plate for another inlet/outlet of some sort for perhaps another option not installed on your model.

Do they protrude thru to the other side of the radiator?

It's not unusual for radiators to have been built for several different models/features... and they'll use a block-off plate to seal those not being used. With that being said it does appear to be rusted pretty good, and definitely leaking.

When/if you remove this plate you will lose coolant to below the floor/bottom of this plate. I'd suggest draining the coolant using the drain petcock at the bottom of the radiator into a bucket to just down below this point. You mention you cannot get any allen head wrench to fit properly.. did you try both metric and SAE? If by chance the heads have been previously stripped or damaged due to rust it appears that there is a large enough head on those to get vise grips on. After you remove the plate I would suggest heading to the auto parts store and obtaining a sheet of gasket material and cutting one to fit properly instead of using silicone gasket maker.. which is what it appears someone else has used on that in the past. Pick up a couple of new bolts too! :-) Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Old 04-06-2013, 04:38 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
94-Newmar - I believe you are correct in this is a block-off plate, which gives me hope that I can remove and reseal it. My concern is that I do not want to break one of the bolts in attempting to remove them. They look a little strange to me in they are not a standard bolt head and I wonder why they would use allen head bolts in this application. I was hoping someone on this forum knew for sure these were bolts and could be removed before I attempted to remove them. I tried both SAE and Metric allen head wrenches to see if I could find a fit and had no success but they could be rounded or just full of rust. This plate is located on the engine side of the radiator and I can not get to the opposite side to see if the bolts go through. Any insight on this plate would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
oldtymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:46 AM   #4

Yea, I've not seen this exact arrangement you have before. You don't mention how badly it's leaking, but if it's just a mere annoyance at this point I think I'd hold off for now. Broken mounting bolts will certainly make a seep/drip pale in comparison! :-)

You mention it's below the upper hose. Is the distance short enough that you could remove the upper hose and perhaps feel down there to see if there is any integral part to it? If not by finger, then perhaps using an inspection mirror? (Might have to drain the coolant below the upper hose depending upon how "full" yours is)

Tags
leak, radiator