Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesmac View Post
Has anyone ever replaced the navion r5000 radio. If so what brand and model did you use.

Not the Navion, but I recently replaced our double-DIN unit with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-S8G2104...st_sto_dp&th=1

It has all the bells and whistles, front camera, rear camera, built in GPS, engine diagnostics, TPMS, wireless carplay, dash cam, overhead 3D view without the need for more cameras...it slices, it dices, it gives you better mileage. OK, that last part might not be true, but so far we're happy with it. It starts in just a couple of seconds and is ready to rock. We haven't added all the modules, but the ones we have are working flawlessly so far. We got the floating screen model so I could raise and lower it and angle it toward the driver. ATOTO has a bunch of different versions with different features and price points. There are others out there like this but we found them to be way more expensive.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2022, 10:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly73 View Post
RC,

Yes, I am making progress. The retrofit will be completely plug and play on the RV side. The retrofit is going to consist of three parts:
  1. Mechanical Bracket : This will hold the Binize radio in the same place as the R5000 was. It will have two "radio" USB ports and six "charging" USB ports located in the extra space underneath. (shown below)
  2. Camera Adapter : This will power the existing cameras and allow you to run standard RCA video cables to the new (any new) radio. Since the camera connectors are obsolete, scavenging them from the R5000 is necessary.
  3. Radio Adapter : This will interface the new radio (via terminal blocks) to the existing RV connectors. It will also manage the situation where you have three cameras and only one rear camera input on the radio. A manual override switch can be connected to turn on the rear camera view to the radio, like the R5000 can do. (shown below)

Attachment 361381 Mtg Bracket
Attachment 361382 RV Side
Attachment 361383 Radio Side

And yes I am working hard on it because the wife says that I have to have a working model by June

Shawn
Thanks Shawn,
Have the video worked out, with separate small monitors at each windshield post so when I check the mirror the camera has the image there. Also have a switch that allows that image to be changed between left, right or center. The Kenwood unit has feed for 3 cameras and dash camera. But will probably just input the 2 lower left rear corner bumper cameras I have installed to watch toad sides. I am interested in your direct plug conversion module, instead of splicing coach wiring to new Kenwood harness wiring.
Thanks
RC Thomas
North Florida
2008 American Tradition C model with 2019 Ford King Ranch a real toad
rctfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:39 PM   #17

Great thread!!!
timmyzr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 03:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizcom View Post
Not the Navion, but I recently replaced our double-DIN unit with one of these: https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-S8G2104...st_sto_dp&th=1

It has all the bells and whistles, front camera, rear camera, built in GPS, engine diagnostics, TPMS, wireless carplay, dash cam, overhead 3D view without the need for more cameras...it slices, it dices, it gives you better mileage. OK, that last part might not be true, but so far we're happy with it. It starts in just a couple of seconds and is ready to rock. We haven't added all the modules, but the ones we have are working flawlessly so far. We got the floating screen model so I could raise and lower it and angle it toward the driver. ATOTO has a bunch of different versions with different features and price points. There are others out there like this but we found them to be way more expensive.
I love your choice and that would have been a perfect replacement. However my priority for the update was having a Garman based GPS, since google maps requires a phone signal. I also like to run 3 different mapping program so the dear wife doesn't get in trouble for selecting the route with obstacles.
Have also installed a silver leaf for engine monitoring which provides engine codes.

RC Thomas
2008 American Tradition
2019 King Ranch and a real toad
North Florida home base
Old 04-06-2022, 06:45 PM   #19

RC,

What exactly is it you are looking for? It'd be easy enough to create something that would pull off the signals from the wiring harness that you are looking for. The biggest hurdle for my application is that I have to mux the three cameras into one for my head unit.

I don't know much about the on-rv GPS as I am not planning on using it.

Shawn
Grizzly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 07:11 AM   #20

Google maps doesn't require a phone signal. However you do want to download maps for the areas you will be traveling through, in advance.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:59 PM   #21

Finally got the PCB and hooked up the radio. Everything so far works, I'm painting/baking the mounting bracket and cleaning up wiring before I install everything. The existing camera interface board should be here sometime next week, so that is the next task. Very happy with how things are coming along. I did power it up and the radio/etc. all worked fine. Waiting for the video board to test that. I'll eventually do an install thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_214918 (Medium).jpg
Views:	27
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	363360   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220422_214846 (Medium).jpg
Views:	28
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	363361  

Name:	20220422_190335 (Medium).jpg
Views:	21
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	363362  
Old 04-22-2022, 08:28 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Finally got the PCB and hooked up the radio. Everything so far works, I'm painting/baking the mounting bracket and cleaning up wiring before I install everything. The existing camera interface board should be here sometime next week, so that is the next task. Very happy with how things are coming along. I did power it up and the radio/etc. all worked fine. Waiting for the video board to test that. I'll eventually do an install thread
Super cool! Looking forward to the install thread!
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:03 AM   #23

Quote:
you built it? Making cameras work will be the most challenging part imo! Looking forward to your updates!
Old 04-23-2022, 07:06 AM   #24

last few days my navion 5000 started acting up! Im really concern it will the a crap soon! I got to love the sides cameras tho!
Old 04-24-2022, 06:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
Super cool! Looking forward to the install thread!
That is a very talented approach to making it compatible. I ended up soldering the new wiring harness to the old wires. It turned out, I thought good. But now I think it was second rated. I did get camera feeds to work with only compromise being the chassis interface. For now I am using silver leaf, with hopes to add optional interface module that will allow that to also work through the Kenwood head unit.
Great thread.
RC Thomas
Old 05-29-2022, 11:53 PM   #26

Updates

Some updated pictures...

Camera Interface Board (Front & Back)

Radio Interface Board (Front & Back)

RV Cameras plugged in & Video out to Radio

Radio Interface Board plugged in...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-05-30 01_48_32-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	14
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	366926   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-30 01_48_49-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	16
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	366927  

Name:	2022-05-30 01_49_45-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	18
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	366928   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-30 01_49_54-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	15
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	366929  

Name:	2022-05-30 01_51_53-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	16
Size:	950.0 KB
ID:	366930   Click image for larger version

Name:	2022-05-30 01_52_38-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	21
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	366931  

Old 05-31-2022, 08:46 PM   #27

Done!

Backup camera works great, switch on top left turns backup camera on manually, and left and right work with the turn signals!

Very happy! This job is done.

Shawn
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2022-05-31 22_43_48-Synology Photos — Mozilla Firefox.png
Views:	51
Size:	3.59 MB
ID:	367110  

Tags
ace, radio, replace, replacement